Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying Apple gear in the USA - Tax $$$

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Got mine in the US last year. Make sure it it's the version that works over here (pretty simple, the apple website lists the various versions) and that you are aware of the sales tax and bobs your uncle.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
A few points...

1. No, there is NOT a single version of an iPhone. This is because of the different versions of 4G that have been deployed. Details here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/differences-between-iphone-6-models.html That's not to say the next iPhone (the 6S presumably) won't be universal, but there's never been a universal one to date.

2. No one knows exactly when the next iPhone will be out. That said it is highly likely it will be out in mid-late September as that is the cycle that Apple seem to be in. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus hit the shops on September 19th last year.

3. In the US, iPhones have never been sold SIM-free at launch before meaning, if you bought one at launch, you had to subscribe and pay for a 2-year plan. The iPhone 6 was only available SIM free in January this year: http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/06/apple-sim-free-iphone6/ - nearly 4 months after launch.

Other than the above - good luck.

Point 3 isn't true. Got mine in November and didn't sign any contract. Tied to an American network but no contract

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I bought an iPad for my wife in New York and other than the charger being a U.S. one have had no issues at all. I actually ordered it from the UK before leaving as I wanted an engraving on it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Whilst in Memphis I intended to get a new ipod. Checked all prices and knew what I wanted but couldn't find a store anywhere. Flying out I saw a vending machine with brand new top of the range ipods at half UK prices including all taxes etc. I didn't buy one because they were too cheap!!!!!! Regret that now. In fact regretted that as soon as I got on the plane and mentioned it to an American who said yep, that machine belongs to Tandy or some big named US company. Dohhhh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here