Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a new PC - help please!

ballboys

Feb 23, 2009
I'm buying my folks a new PC for christmas as their last one has blown up. Looking to spend around £300...

Will I e able to get a good quality one for that and if so where from? Do sales at comet/pc world/currys etc usually start before christmas?

Thanks in advance!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
depends if you want a good graphics card and processor for gaming.If you do then you have no chance with that budget.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Yes, parents are known for being real gamers..

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
depends if you want a good graphics card and processor for gaming.If you do then you have no chance with that budget.

Nope, not a gamer, and not overly worried about that element of things

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
:lolol:

Just read it again oops.

Still it will be pretty basic at that price.I would go for a amd chip.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Dell are cheap, but they use poor quality parts. I have a Dell laptop and in under 18 months have had to replace the battery and the power cable. The keyboard has not worn well and I wouldn't buy another one.

Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs, Televisions, Netbooks and more at Ebuyer.com, or dabs.co.uk are not bad places to have a look at online.

I'd recommend they get a system with XP rather than vista operating system. You may get a windows 7 pc but you'll have to search around, and xp is fine for most people.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Dell are cheap, but they use poor quality parts. I have a Dell laptop and in under 18 months have had to replace the battery and the power cable. The keyboard has not worn well and I wouldn't buy another one.

Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs, Televisions, Netbooks and more at Ebuyer.com, or dabs.co.uk are not bad places to have a look at online.

I'd recommend they get a system with XP rather than vista operating system. You may get a windows 7 pc but you'll have to search around, and xp is fine for most people.

Had a monitor once by Dell and the picture quality was poor compared to others.I don't rate there stuff either.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I'm buying my folks a new PC for christmas as their last one has blown up. Looking to spend around £300...

Will I e able to get a good quality one for that and if so where from? Do sales at comet/pc world/currys etc usually start before christmas?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry mate, i just put up similar thread and ended up rplying on the wrong one!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dell are pretty good. Had mine for over 3yrs and haven't had any probs.

Ditto, But I have had my Dell system for 4 years, running on XP, and its never given problems

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here