[Drinking] Buying a beer for a mate who's running late.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Throwing their pint in the bin is a bit extreme, just sort them out when they get there or they accept they've missed a round and need to get the next one in. Probably the next as a punishment for being late too. :thumbsup:

You can be quite amusing on occasion.

Just now and again mind, l don't want you getting ahead of yourself. :rolleyes:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Used to love working in the pub over the Christmas period, when people were always more generous than usual. I'd end with a good 12 to 15 pints 'in the bin' which as long as I drank before the next stock take was fine with the landlord.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Used to love working in the pub over the Christmas period, when people were always more generous than usual. I'd end with a good 12 to 15 pints 'in the bin' which as long as I drank before the next stock take was fine with the landlord.

Used to be able to take (a part of) the cash instead if you'd had your fill.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'I'll put it in the bin for Ron' was the standard answer to 'And one for yourself?' when I was last behind a bar (1978!)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
On a similar subject, the 6 o'clock club, around 12-15 regulars that go to the pub around six p.m. not all every day but normally a group of 4-8 people. We have a few "rules" of the club:

You can't buy a drink when you walk in, the person "in the chair" buys it.
You can't buy a round if you're not having one, and,
If you walk in with Mrs / Mates / Kids you're on your own and sort yourself out.
There's also a chap who has had a few hard knocks of late, he's never in the chair unless there's only one of us then he is and said last arriver automatically assumes the chair after having had a drink bought.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
"Get one in" is standard for me. Never heard "put one in the bin" until reading this. I've been legally drinking since 2002. Unless I'm too pished and mishear in the bin for get one in :cheers:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bad enough having to buy a round I can't afford. Sure ain't paying for a drink for someone who isn't there yet. Guess that's why I've never heard the expression.
P.S. Don't like buying rounds because I usually only have a soft drink these days. Paying for everyone's beer while I sup my lime and lemonade isn't on these days.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, does anyone else do the "american" thing of running a tab and paying at the end ? Its only something you can do at a local I suppose, but I've taken to paying this way, rather than pay-as-you-go. Much easier - as long as they remember to BIN it after you've paid. I was somewhat taken aback once to be presented with a £40 tab once after I'd only been in for 3 or 4. Daft bint behind the bar hadn't scrapped the one I'd already paid a few days earlier.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Std "in the bin for Ron"

Quite surprised so many have NOT heard of this - maybe its more of a 70s / 80s thing when you could buy a round of 5 pints for a fiver ....

Lot more "going Dutch" these days? Is that a new saying to anyone?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely normal in Devon where I spent my formative drinking years.........and much later in Burgess Hill too. Amazed people haven’t heard it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As an aside, does anyone else do the "american" thing of running a tab and paying at the end ? Its only something you can do at a local I suppose, but I've taken to paying this way, rather than pay-as-you-go. Much easier - as long as they remember to BIN it after you've paid. I was somewhat taken aback once to be presented with a £40 tab once after I'd only been in for 3 or 4. Daft bint behind the bar hadn't scrapped the one I'd already paid a few days earlier.

Had a bit of a row a couple of years back being told I had quite a large tab when I knew I didn't.

Turned out it was a mate of mine's tab. My username here is actually my nickname by which I'm known, but the bar bill was for someone who was always known as "posty" but whoever had started the tab had appalling handwriting :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had a bit of a row a couple of years back being told I had quite a large tab when I knew I didn't.

Turned out it was a mate of mine's tab. My username here is actually my nickname by which I'm known, but the bar bill was for someone who was always known as "posty" but whoever had started the tab had appalling handwriting :lolol:

Hah, yep just another of the perils of running a bar tab, but I'm lazy and its easier, so...

I had to resort to internet banking in my case, and call up a statement on my phone showing the transaction from a few days ago (as the person serving wasn't the same one from earlier in the week) so no harm done. Some of the tabs do astonish me though. Some of the barflys don't pay for a few weeks, I've seen some rack up nearly £200, which is an eyewaterer to pay off.

9 times out of 10 I can bump the card. Bad news when you have to stick it in...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
In our pub the phrase is "you've got one in".....no bins.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I used to have a friend who had a thing about always buying the last drinks .... it drove them nuts when I'd say 'See'ya, oh and you have one in the bin' :smile:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Std "in the bin for Ron"

Quite surprised so many have NOT heard of this - maybe its more of a 70s / 80s thing when you could buy a round of 5 pints for a fiver ....

Lot more "going Dutch" these days? Is that a new saying to anyone?

Five pints for a fiver? I remember when a pint of mild went up to 19p.......the place was in uproar!!!
This was only in about 1976ish

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports