Votes: 32 33.3%
  • Either - they're both British..

Votes: 30 31.3%

• Total voters

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Normally Lewis, but I would love to see Button become world champion, being that it is almost impossible for Lewis to win now.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
As a fan of flair and style I support the current world champion. In fact, there are few other things in the world I can get as passionate about as Lewis darting through the field on the first corner.

I'm not a bandwagon jumper who, on the back of a few dull race wins in a vastly superior car to every other, has suddenly noticed Jenson Button exists and claims to "support" him. He's British so I wish him no misfortune, but I can't get excited about him.

I agree, but also remember that people such as the poster above have supported him for donkeys years!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will be interesting to see if Hamilton can move up the drivers table now that they appear to have mastered the problems with the car as in fact have Ferrari.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Yeah, with any sportsman/team there will be some loyal fans. For all those who have liked Jenson since his early days I am genuinely happy, because I know how ecstatic I was last year when Lewis won it. But some of the bandwagon jumping this year has been sickening to watch.

Can't argue with any of that! :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I support them both. Hamilton is more exciting but he also makes way more mistakes. Button is smooth and a class driver who avoids the Mansellesk and Hamiltonesk red mist charges and just gets on with the job.

I'd love to see them in the same team as I reckon Button would give Lewis a good run for the best driver in the team.

It's a shame but inevitable that the Brawns have been caught by the other teams. They used Honda money to develop the car, got the best engine once Honda pulled out but now presumably don't have the shedloads of money to throw at the car as McClaren,Ferrari , Renault and to a lesser extent Red Bull have. I reckon Button will do well to hold on to the lead in the World Championship for much longer.

As for the Complete Badger's predictably over the top praise for Lewis and slagging off of everybody else....a big hunk of Hamilton's resurgence on Sunday is that he had the best car.. as have Button and Red Bull for other races..that's why they won!!

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Think Hamilton is by far and away the more naturally gifted driver. I think this year has been good for Hamilton in that you can't have the best car all of the time, and how you drive and react to that is as much part of being an F1 driver as winning. As Hamilton gets maturity and reaches say Buttons age, he'll be one hell of a driver.

Button showed flashes of brilliance at Williams and Honda in generally dogs of cars, less so in the interveening couple of years at Renault, but this year (until recently) Brawn gave him a car that just seemed to hit his sweet spot. I support him coz he's British, but prefer Hamilton.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I sort of support the pair of them. Not being a massive uber-fan of F1, but enjoying it as an event, I don't really mind which of them wins, it's just great to have 2 British drivers in the mixer.

My support always goes first and foremost to Rob Kubica, as have been fan of his for a while. However if a british driver is doing well then I will always give them my backing if Rob is not in contention, (unless they decide to drive for the judas of a team that is Ferrari!!) which has occured this year due to BMW giving him the worst car on the grid this year, hene why I wanted Lewis to win last year after Rob was out of the running, and it will be nice to see Jenson win this year after years of Honda/Previous Brawn staff providing him with a dud of a car!!

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I'll support any British driver, but I like Button more. It's not jumping on the bandwagon to get behind a British sportsman when they have a chance of winning. That's what being a British sports fan is all about. If some unknown British lass was to get to the quarter finals of Wimbledon, would I not be allowed to support her? Or would that be sickening too?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Button has proved when he has a car he can compete, with he can compete, Hamilton got lucky getting a good car to start with.

F1 is all about the car, only when its wet does a good driver emerge.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
You're missing one MASSIVE point though - Jenson Button is not "unknown." He's been around for years. If you really like him as a man/driver/personality you'll have picked up on it and supported him long before this season. If you've only decided to support him in the last four months then you're a bandwagon jumper. Simple.

Well yeah, but some people are just starting to get into the whole F1 thing. So Button, he's a British driver, doing well, and is therefore someone who newcomers will want to support. And say they only started getting into it this season, are they jumping on the bandwagon? No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports