Butland or Westwood?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Westwood by a mile

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If Walton is as good as he is being hyped up to be then I would probably plump for butland on a season loan and hope that Walton steps up to the plate next season when we are in the prem :clap:

I think this is the key factor: just how good is Walton? Too good and he'll be at another club soon enough. But the more important question is, do we want to play him for 10 or so games this season to test his talent. If that is the case, then whoever comes in as number 1 will have to buy into that and, provided he could live with that, it makes Butland my choice -- which is predicated on the hope that Walton is good.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
PIG has fallen out with management where he has played and that looks to be the situation with us. Given that he has not had much playing time in his career and I feel he thinks he is better than he actually is.

Either signings would be good. I would go for the one who the club feels really wants to come here rather than receive a pay cheque.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As well as Joe Lewis at Perterbourgh there was Alex Smithies at Huddersfield couple years back hyped up. Wonder what happened to them. Walton could go same way with first team football here so

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Couldn't agree more. The worry for me, is that Westwood IMO, is a significant step back from Kuszczak. As others have said Butland would 'only' be on loan. A one year option whilst Walton is develop sounds sensible.

You sure you haven't got that the wrong way around?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Both would be decent options. Walton sounds like a great prospect so bringing in Butland for a year while he develops would be an interesting option. Westwood has been around a while and would be a good signing. Hope we get one of them!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You sure you haven't got that the wrong way around?

Quite positive. Just don't rate Westwood. Kuszczak in the main played really well for us. If you look at the number of NSC threads of 'best keeper we've ever had', the majority would appear to have felt the same.

Whilst I don't think he was the best (more of a Grummitt man myself), I think he was more than competent, Ferguson obviously rated him, I just think Westwood will not 'win' us many points.

Obviously as well all know NSC is extremely fickle at the best of times, so it is no surprise people are now back-tracking. (Apologies Bladders, the last bit is not aimed at your post BTW)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Quite positive. Just don't rate Westwood. Kuszczak in the main played really well for us. If you look at the number of NSC threads of 'best keeper we've ever had', the majority would appear to have felt the same.

Whilst I don't think he was the best (more of a Grummitt man myself), I think he was more than competent, Ferguson obviously rated him, I just think Westwood will not 'win' us many points.

Obviously as well all know NSC is extremely fickle at the best of times, so it is no surprise people are now back-tracking. (Apologies Bladders, the last bit is not aimed at your post BTW)

Completely agree with what you say about Kuszczak. I understand why the club released him as he was on high wages and seemed to have his mind on the Premier League but it is ridiculous to criticise him. He's by far the best keeper I've seen in 25 years of watching Albion and was superb for two years. I can only remember a couple of costly mistakes (Birmingham away in first season and Forest away at the end of last season). He will be really hard to replace but I think either Westwood or Butland would be decent options.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wstwood > Butland, but either would be great.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Agreed, probably best I've seen but I do feel he declined over this last season and his distribution and general kicking started to become a bit of a joke.

When he was making great saves and winning us points or even three points I tended to ignore it but not so sure his form was gaining as many points as previous seasons.

Just an observation.

Westwood at 29years old I think would be an upgrade as of now, not necessarily over TK two seasons ago though.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Argus article today states Buckland loan move delayed as Stoke no 1 Bergovic subject to rumours of transfer.
Stoke will not allow loan until this is sorted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here