Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BURTON player ratings

NSC Blog

It's good. Read it.
Jul 28, 2011
Match report: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php

In all the win had really been very comfortable for the Seagulls, without needing to produce anything out of the ordinary. Paddy McCourt, with the range of his passing, and his willingness to run at players, Lewis Dunk with his always-calm reading of the game, and David Stockdale, with his perfect command of his area - catching everything that came near - were the three Albion players who looked leagues above their opponents.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why the low marks for CMS? He did his job and scored a goal which is what is expected of him, everything else is irrelevant. Jimmy Greaves did nothing but score goals in a game and became a hero at every club he played for.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why the low marks for CMS? He did his job and scored a goal which is what is expected of him, everything else is irrelevant. Jimmy Greaves did nothing but score goals in a game and became a hero at every club he played for.

He showed the trapping ability of a brick wall and the goal was an OG.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He showed the trapping ability of a brick wall and the goal was an OG.

You miss the point the goal was credited to him so he must have had a major influence on it irrespective of the last touch. That is his job ANYTHING else is irrelevant. If he scores a goal game and plays like an amateur Sunday morning player for the remaining 89 mins he will get us promoted and be in the £10m category.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
6?

What would he have to do to get a high mark? He made 4 decent saves, including two genuinely good ones - one one high up at this near post looked a worldy. the Burton fans all thought they'd scored.

On top of that Burton put around 15 high balls into the box. Stockdale caught 14 of them and punch the other one - to the halfway line.

He'll have matches where he's tested more, for sure, but his performance last night was FLAWLESS.

I gave him a 6 , thats the best i could do , as i said his catching from crosses was much better last night , his distribution was poor, smashing the ball out to calderon everytime as hard as he could kick it Calderon managed to take two of 8 of these all night ,his attempt to block the clearence off the line shot was Benny Hill , i would of not mentioned those two things in my 6 but seeing as you asked .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You miss the point the goal was credited to him so he must have had a major influence on it irrespective of the last touch. That is his job ANYTHING else is irrelevant. If he scores a goal game and plays like an amateur Sunday morning player for the remaining 89 mins he will get us promoted and be in the £10m category.

You miss the point. We were playing a League 2 side last night and he was poor against them. If he gives the ball away in the Championship as much as he did last night then we will concede goals, not score them.

I would love it if he rediscovers his touch, but on the basis of what we have seen both this season and the last, for all his enthusiasm and endeavour, he lacks the finesse and touch to be an asset in this division, which is a tragedy for both CMS and the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

:facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His job is to score goals which he did last night, job done. That supersedes everything else the game is about scoring goals and defending dependant on your position he achieved his aim as Stockdale did his.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His job is to score goals which he did last night, job done. That supersedes everything else the game is about scoring goals and defending dependant on your position he achieved his aim as Stockdale did his.

Scoring goals is a small part of his job. He lost possession time and time again, which fortunately our defence & keeper managed to stop it turning into goals against. It was an own goal, and yes, he forced the error, but a third goal in a 3-0 victory is not decisive. The 5s and 6s reflect the whole 93 minutes of the game not a couple of seconds where the ball rebounded off an opposition player.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No he would be scored on his contribution to the game but when he does score that supersedes everything else he does or doesnt do in the game.

So last night, he did nothing for 90+ minutes apart from one good turn in the first half, and a ricochetted mis-header into the net in the second after a MAZY dribble from Pope Paddy, and for that he doesn't deserve the ratings from those who were at the match and saw him?

No one wants him to play poorly, there's a large well of goodwill towards CMS, but he is struggling.

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Stockdale...Good saves, liked the way he kept talking to all the players about their position and any dangers the may have faced. 8
Chicksen...7
Dunk...MOTM Defended well and saved us on more than one occasion, absolutely berated the ref when a player not booked for the same tackle he was booked for, and the tackle was on him!!!
Hughes...Never going to win many headers but still played his part 6
Calde...The ref giving a red???? Still put your foot high??? 7

Gardner...6
Ince...Sometimes overplays it when there is an easier option, can't help liking him though. 7
KLL....Good goal and did ok 7
McCourt...Looked great and taking on players from midfield and definitely what we need in league games 8

COG...Can't help thinking with more game time how well he might play. 6
CMS...Scored yes, but wanted more from him against this opposition 6

Subs...Did ok 5

Our supporters...We were excellent, sang all the way through. We are Albion and we are from the south and proud. Oops I live in the Midlands, oh well haha. 10/10

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is my point people are wrong to mark him low because he did what he is paid and expected to do he scored a goal. If the other 2 goals had been disallowed and he had played exactly as he did and his goal was the winner would he still be marked low.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
A workmanlike performance from The Albion, did enough to get the job done and gave some squad players a run out. I was disappointed by Burton, as I feared they might give us a harder time. Spurs should be a much stiffer test than last night.

Stockdale: 8 looked confident and made one excellent save just before the final whistle. Comfortably dealt with a series of crosses
Calderon: 6 A mixed bag from Calde. He got clattered a couple of times and gave the Ref some verbals just before the red card incident. However from my perspective (and those around me) it was a harsh decision. Yes Calde did turn with his foot raised to meet the bouncing ball but may not have seen the Burton player arriving from behind him.
Dunk: 8 An assured and confident game
Hughes: 7 Steady, not quite on a par with Dunk
Chicksen: 6 Similar to Calde, some anxious moments
Ince: 7 A decent goal and a good game, without getting into top gear.
Gardner: 5 Disappointed by his commitment and ability, too many sloppy errors
McCourt: 8 At times he looked on a different wavelength to the other players on the pitch. He largely cruised around the pitch, looking comfortable on the ball and making incisive runs and passes. One of his trademark mazy runs and goal would have capped a decent performance. Wasn't sure if he has the yards in his legs but was pleasantly surprised by his willingness to chase back and defend. But this was against Burton, so give him some more game time in the Championship.
KLL: 7 Great goal. Burton gave him too much space.
O'Grady: 6 Good to see him get a run out, had one decent shot saved but did not have the impact we would hope for. Neither CMS or COG received decent service, too many 'hit and hope' high balls lumped over the top in their general direction.
CMS: 6 Typical game with poor-ish service to him and several poor touches of his own. One electric turn to leave both CBs dead, otherwise he looked an increasingly frustrated figure. His scratchy late goal was definitely looping into the far corner and was only helped on by the man on the line.

Subs: Colunga: 5 - poor.
No one else warrants a rating.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is my point people are wrong to mark him low because he did what he is paid and expected to do he scored a goal. If the other 2 goals had been disallowed and he had played exactly as he did and his goal was the winner would he still be marked low.

Yes.

Last regular game of last season, Ulloa scored the winner at Forest. But had a shocking game up until the 94th minute or so.

CMS looked pretty ordinary last night (even the goal looked like a mishit). A 6/10 at best (and that's for the goal- if he hadn't scored I'd have given him a 5 tops).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here