Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley v Blackburn

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But he wasn't really making a challenge, he saw a loose ball, swung a foot at it to clear it, and the burnley player stuck a foot in front of him to take the hit an win his team a penalty.

It was as clear a penalty as the penalty Chris Ilewumo won for us in the play-off final. A clear mistake by the defender, and a spot kick all day long.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was as clear a penalty as the penalty Chris Ilewumo won for us in the play-off final. A clear mistake by the defender, and a spot kick all day long.

I don't dispute it was a penalty, I was just disputing it was a silly challenge. It wasn't a challenge at all, it was an attempted clearance and the attacker saw an opportunity to win a penalty by sticking his foot in front of an already swinging foot. You can tell by his reaction afterward that it was exactly what he was intending to do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't dispute it was a penalty, I was just disputing it was a silly challenge. It wasn't a challenge at all, it was an attempted clearance and the attacker saw an opportunity to win a penalty by sticking his foot in front of an already swinging foot. You can tell by his reaction afterward that it was exactly what he was intending to do.

Oh I agree. Clear penalty, clever play by Boyd to nip in and draw the foul - the defender didn't react quickly enough to losing possession, and failed to withdraw from the attempted clearance. It's basically exactly what Ilewumo did to win a penalty at Cardiff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here