Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley in the Premier

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I don't see why they couldn't stay in the premier league for a fair while, they seem to be run well with sensible finances. Do clubs like Fulham have a better infrastructure? They've had a long stay at the top.

Fulhams rise from oblivion and their extended stay in the Premier League was bankrolled by Al Fayed's change in his piggy bank. Their rise from what is now League Two started the same season we were fighting for survival both on and off the field, with Micky Adams gaining promotion with what was virtually the same team that would get us promoted a few seasons later. Burnley (afaik) don't have a sugar daddy of the same calibre as the phoney pharaoh. The old days of teams doing what Wimbledon achieved and staying in the top tier purely through hard graft and spirit are all but impossible to replicate.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Hope the Seagulls can do us a favour tonight with a win or - at worst - a draw.

I think the key will be trying to keep Ravel Morrison quiet - apparently he ran the show at Birmingham. I know you are better than Brum but you still have injury and suspension problems I think.

From what I have seen this season, QPR's old men don't like being forced to play at a fast tempo. Give them time and it plays into their hands. Get the ball forward quickly.

Would love to help your lot out tonight as there's no other club in the mix I'd like to see go straight up. What a great season you've had and if you can Knacker QPRs ambitions/finances then great!

However fast tempo/pressuring visiting teams has not been our forte recently...fingers crossed!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What and be relegation certanties but at least they will havemea load of cash. I dont think that Ings will hit it off in the Premier and would suggest most managers think the same as nobody came in for him during January with any large bids.

Burnley can't just go out and spend £15-20 million on new players, they don't have that level of investment and the gates they get at Turf Moor aren't conducive to that happening. Therefore they have to stick to the principles that got them promoted in the first place, most crucially their team ethic. Norwich largely kept faith with the players that got them promoted in their first season in the Premier League, many of whom were playing in League One 2 years earlier and they comfortably stayed up. Likewise Southampton, for whom Lallana and Schneiderlin are vastly better players now than they were when they first came up to the Premier League.

I disagree about Danny Ings, by the way. He has a lot more to his game than just sticking the ball in the net. He has good technique and is quick, so I think there's no reason why he couldn't cause defenders problems in the Premier League, as other strikers who have come up from the Championship have in recent seasons - Grant Holt, Jay Rodriguez, Rickie Lambert.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Fulhams rise from oblivion and their extended stay in the Premier League was bankrolled by Al Fayed's change in his piggy bank. Their rise from what is now League Two started the same season we were fighting for survival both on and off the field, with Micky Adams gaining promotion with what was virtually the same team that would get us promoted a few seasons later. Burnley (afaik) don't have a sugar daddy of the same calibre as the phoney pharaoh. The old days of teams doing what Wimbledon achieved and staying in the top tier purely through hard graft and spirit are all but impossible to replicate.

I know they got there by spending a lot of money however i haven't noticed them spending particularly big whilst they were there.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
With it looking more likely that Burnley will get promoted it would appear that Vokes and Barnes will be surplus to requirements as neither will cut it in the higher division, should we try to get either back. I dont think so but interested in other opinions.

Where would it appear?

Oh...you mean you've made it up based on literally no substance at all.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I know they got there by spending a lot of money however i haven't noticed them spending particularly big whilst they were there.

That's the main reason why Fulham now find themselves struggling. Fayed bankrolled them a lot in their first Premier League season, but thereafter they largely operated on a shoestring, initially so Craven Cottage could have work done to it and then in later years when Fayed seemed to lose interest in his 'project' as headed towards turning 80.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hope the Seagulls can do us a favour tonight with a win or - at worst - a draw.

I think the key will be trying to keep Ravel Morrison quiet - apparently he ran the show at Birmingham. I know you are better than Brum but you still have injury and suspension problems I think.

From what I have seen this season, QPR's old men don't like being forced to play at a fast tempo. Give them time and it plays into their hands. Get the ball forward quickly.

we'll do our best. Really hope you can hang on to automatic promotion this season. Despite the contentious nature of our games I have to respect how you have defied the harbingers of doom waiting for you to crack. Hope you can finish the job.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
The way they are playing, I reckon Forest could slip out of the play-off positions very soon. Wigan look certs but I reckon Brighton could edge out Reading if you get your home form back (only 1pt from Wigan and Reading cannot help).

Win tonight and your game in hand and you could well finish above inconsistent Reading (3-1 win at QPR and then 1-1 home draw with Yeovil).

Our final game of the season is away at Reading, but anything could happen before then.

As I said before, keep Morrison in check and you are halfway towards winning tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here