Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley face competition from Wolves for Ashley Barnes

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Is Barnes for 6 months worth £750k + his wages? Maybe. Not my call, but I can imagine the board taking the dosh.

Seriously? I think you're doing this on purpose now. What are the alternatives?

- sell Barnes and pocket the £750k (always assuming that is what we'd get offered). That leaves us with one fit first team striker who has had major injuries this season and who plays a physical game. It also looks to me like Ulloa plays well when Barnes is playing - but let's ignore that because it's just my POV.

- sell Barnes and replace him. So that would be find, negotiate and buy the new striker and bed him in and take the risk of him not being quite the right fit (eg Lita) all for less than £750k (because we'd also be paying a % in fees to the agent and maybe the new player) at a wage level that will almost certainly be higher than those we are offering Barnes. net effect - zero in the bank.

- sell Barnes and sit on the cash until the end of the season when we buy a replacement (see the two points above).

- persuade Ashley to sign a new contract. Little or no cost other than improved terms. We have two strikers during our promotion push and have secured a very capable Championship level striker for the foreseeable future.

- Ashley doesn't sign and walks at the end of the season. So be it. We lose out on a fee but we have two strikers until May and can reassess our needs then. No additional costs, lower risk/cost than bringing in a new player, and very much lower risk that trying to see out 2013/14 season with just one fit striker.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't want Barnes to go and I don't think he will, but how would people feel about using any money got from selling him to get Adam Le Fondre from Reading? He wants to leave apparently...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25577217

Hmmm, I like Barnes a lot, I can see why he divides opinions but he does a lot more good for the team than bad. That said, if we could arrange a deal to replace him with ALF I'd be very excited.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Hardly gives you much faith in the board making the right decision, does it?

I can see what will happen but some on here should take their blinkers off and face up to reality. Barnes has had a contract on the table and he still hasn't signed and if he hasn't signed by now then do people honestly think he'll sign it at the end of the season?

He won't sign just like Murray didn't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's not just about Barnes. You've said they wouldn't replace him.

If we lost the option of what Barnes brings, either from Barnes or a replacement for him, it will likely cost us more than the 750k and his wages. That is the decision the club has to make - short term gain of 750 gain by selling Barnes and not replacing him, or the longer term (possibly significantly) larger gain of the success Barnes or his replacement being a part of our squad would bring.

I, and I think many fans, and probably Oscar, would be disappointed with the board if they did that.

Where did I say we wouldn't replace him!?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can see what will happen but some on here should take their blinkers off and face up to reality. Barnes has had a contract on the table and he still hasn't signed and if he hasn't signed by now then do people honestly think he'll sign it at the end of the season?

He won't sign just like Murray didn't.

I'd imagine there has been a lot of discussion between Ashley / his agent / the club over his willingness to sign a contract. I'd imagine he doesn't actually prefer to leave, but he risks forcing the club into making a decision soon one way or the other if he doesn't indicate he's willing to sign a new contract. His agent is playing a cagey game - let's hope Tony Bloom is up to it :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously? I think you're doing this on purpose now. What are the alternatives?

- sell Barnes and pocket the £750k (always assuming that is what we'd get offered). That leaves us with one fit first team striker who has had major injuries this season and who plays a physical game. It also looks to me like Ulloa plays well when Barnes is playing - but let's ignore that because it's just my POV.

- sell Barnes and replace him. So that would be find, negotiate and buy the new striker and bed him in and take the risk of him not being quite the right fit (eg Lita) all for less than £750k (because we'd also be paying a % in fees to the agent and maybe the new player) at a wage level that will almost certainly be higher than those we are offering Barnes. net effect - zero in the bank.

- sell Barnes and sit on the cash until the end of the season when we buy a replacement (see the two points above).

- persuade Ashley to sign a new contract. Little or no cost other than improved terms. We have two strikers during our promotion push and have secured a very capable Championship level striker for the foreseeable future.

- Ashley doesn't sign and walks at the end of the season. So be it. We lose out on a fee but we have two strikers until May and can reassess our needs then. No additional costs, lower risk/cost than bringing in a new player, and very much lower risk that trying to see out 2013/14 season with just one fit striker.

I agree that we can't get by with one fit striker. CMS due back end of Jan. Talk of another loanee striker coming in.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm, I like Barnes a lot, I can see why he divides opinions but he does a lot more good for the team than bad. That said, if we could arrange a deal to replace him with ALF I'd be very excited.

Careful. Of course ALF is better than Barnes at scoring, but say it quietly.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I agree that we can't get by with one fit striker. CMS due back end of Jan.

Not sure that's what's been said. I understood that he'll be back in training at end of Jan. Even if that is so - and we've had a few false dawns on CMS - then he won't be trained and match fit for perhaps another month and with no assurance that the injury won't cause him to be more injury prone. And frankly, will he come back and be as quick as he was? If not - he's not got a lot more in his locker.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'd imagine there has been a lot of discussion between Ashley / his agent / the club over his willingness to sign a contract. I'd imagine he doesn't actually prefer to leave, but he risks forcing the club into making a decision soon one way or the other if he doesn't indicate he's willing to sign a new contract. His agent is playing a cagey game - let's hope Tony Bloom is up to it :)

This could all end up in tears if his agent is trying to bluff Tony.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure that's what's been said. I understood that he'll be back in training at end of Jan. Even if that is so - and we've had a few false dawns on CMS - then he won't be trained and match fit for perhaps another month and with no assurance that the injury won't cause him to be more injury prone. And frankly, will he come back and be as quick as he was? If not - he's not got a lot more in his locker.

Why did you omit the bit of my post that mentioned a loan striker!? That counters all of your post.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I thought that would be obvious. Where is this miraculous loan striker that will be better than a proven striker we already have that will fit in with our way of playing and won't cost a fortune? Leroy Lita didn't seem to work.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I thought that would be obvious. Where is this miraculous loan striker that will be better than a proven striker we already have that will fit in with our way of playing and won't cost a fortune? Leroy Lita didn't seem to work.

I'm sorry, I am not a scout. I think you'll find there are a team of professionals at our club who will be able to answer your question.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm sorry, I am not a scout. I think you'll find there are a team of professionals at our club who will be able to answer your question.

Exactly. We should have faith in our scouting network; none of us had heard of Ulloa until this time last year.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

But saying we should just get one - and getting one - are completely different things. I'd love us to be able to borrow a season-changing Jason Roberts kind of player - but they are few and far between. We've seen FAR more duds (from that professional scouting network) than we have successes. And if a player is available for loan in jan - what does that say about his likelihood to affect our season more than Barnes can?

I think we nearly agree on this - but as is the way with NSC, it feels like we're arguing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Potentially yes but in reality no as we're not good enough.

Not good enough for what? Getting to the Premiership? There are 10 clubs - including us - good enough for that. Staying there is a different matter. Getting £750,000 for the sale of Ashley Barnes more or less guarantees our place in the Championship next season.

But he's the man who pulls the purse strings and that what Bloom hired him for to get losses down. You think Bloom is just going to go out and require players and sort contracts out without consulting Mr Barber? I think you're very ill formed as My Barber dictates what we have and haven't to spend. Wouldn't you agree old wise one?

Nope. It's a different chain of command.

Barber isn't directly involved in the acquisition of players.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't we get to the play off semi finals the season after we let Glenn go? Wasn't the worst feck up at the Albion ever was it!

No, but we lost out on a player, that contributed 31 goals to our rivals subsequent promotion, down to our stubbornness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here