Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley, Everton or possibly Leeds

Who you THINK will be relegated (not necessarily who you want to drop).

• Burnley

Votes: 58 20.2%
  • Everton

Votes: 131 45.6%
  • Leeds

Votes: 98 34.1%

• Total voters

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've been thinking of this best ever finish stat. We finished 13th in a 22 team league. If we finish 13th this season that would be in a 20 team league which wouldn't be as good. By my very dodgy maths if we finish 12th weve effectively equaled it. 11th or above and we've beaten it.

There were 92 teams in the four divisions in 1982. We were the 13th best from 92. There are still 92 teams and anything above 13th would obviously be better. Why would you be measuring from the middle of one of the divisions not from the top down? The number in a division is a construct. Include teams ranked 21 & 22 that are now in the division below and twelfth in the top division is still twelfth in the country. It doesn't become fourteenth. With a game to go we have already beaten that 1981/82's mean average points per game. Multiplying that ppg game average by 38 to get an equivalent season points total and you'd get just over 47 points. We already have 48 with a game to go.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've been thinking of this best ever finish stat. We finished 13th in a 22 team league. If we finish 13th this season that would be in a 20 team league which wouldn't be as good. By my very dodgy maths if we finish 12th weve effectively equaled it. 11th or above and we've beaten it.

'Very' is an altogether inadequate word to describe the dodginess............................

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Scenes at Everton staying up. If it were BHA would we see the same scenes?

No we wouldn't and no we didn't. Good! Such celebrations at there being enough teams worse than your shower to scrape to safety may look good on TV, but are fairly risible really, especially when you look at stuff like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/us842d/davepowell_premier_league_table_with_millions/

By all means these fans have the right to express relief, even joy in getting their team over the line. There is actually strong evidence to argue that, unlike the media-feted crowds at Elland Road, their home support was in no small way responsible for their escape. However, the discomfort and embarrassment that it should have come to that would temper the celebrations of anybody not totally ruled by emotion and the opportunity to finally celebrate something, or anything.

I'm very glad they did Palace. Even gladder that it happened in such a way. I can understand why they would act that way in the moment, but in the cold light of day, I reckon they'll be a bit uncomfortable with those scenes. Why any other fan might look on them with anything approaching envy is a bit of a mystery to me.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I’ve got no beef with Everton. Burnley is a racist northern enclave. But they seem to find a way to stay up. It’s quite admirable (not the racism).

Leeds fans’ entitlement around Ben White annoyed me so much I’m delighted to see them in big trouble. I hope they go down.

Delighted with results tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still baffles me to this day why Leeds sold Ben White to us.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There were 92 teams in the four divisions in 1982. We were the 13th best from 92. There are still 92 teams and anything above 13th would obviously be better. Why would you be measuring from the middle of one of the divisions not from the top down? The number in a division is a construct. Include teams ranked 21 & 22 that are now in the division below and twelfth in the top division is still twelfth in the country. It doesn't become fourteenth. With a game to go we have already beaten that 1981/82's mean average points per game. Multiplying that ppg game average by 38 to get an equivalent season points total and you'd get just over 47 points. We already have 48 with a game to go.

Yeah, see my answer to Nobby Cybergoat in post 141. It's a weird tick in my brain that won't fully accept that particular perfectly sensible logic.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
At the start of the season if there were two teams I could choose to send down it would be the racists at Burnley and the Ben White idiots at Leeds. palarse need to stay up by zero points and 1 goal diff so we can play them. It’s a shame they can’t both feck off but whatever happens on the last day it’s win win really.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For me your logic is only relevant if we are talking about finishing "top half" ie is it top 10 or top 11.

13th is our best ever finish. It means 12 teams were better. It is pretty absolute and independent of division size.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope Chelsea don't get kicked out if their sale isn't done and their special license expires.

It could mean a late repreive for a relegated Leeds. Imagine how unbearable the Internet would be at that stage. I'd have to mute the words "Leeds" and "LUFC" on Twitter (again).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Still baffles me to this day why Leeds sold Ben White to us.

Joking aside, you will never convince any Leeds fan that his talent and success wasn't solely down to their scouting and Bielsa's magic touch despite the fact that he was identified by Brighton aged 16 and carefully managed through U18s, U23s and progressive loans, not to mention making first-team appearances in the League Cup and Championship and Premier League match day squads. You'd have thought the fact that we we extended his contract the day before he went to Leeds and were absolutely not going to agree to Leeds' request for a loan-to-buy deal might have indicated that we had an inclination that he was quite a useful player.

Anyway, what fun we can have on the final day knowing that even if Leeds don't get relegated, Burnley will, with the added consolation bonus of Brentford definitely not finishing above us.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Joking aside, you will never convince any Leeds fan that his talent and success wasn't solely down to their scouting and Bielsa's magic touch.

Although I take your point that a lot of their supporters, particularly online, shared in a mass delusion over the BW situation, I would mention that it wasn't all Leeds fans. [MENTION=3003]Starry[/MENTION], for example a long term Leeds supporting poster on here was always clear eyed and even handed about the player and the situation. Like a lot of the time on the internet, the thickest voices seemed to be the loudest. It was irritating, but I point this out because I think many of us wouldn't want to be defined by our club's thickest fans either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Joking aside, you will never convince any Leeds fan that his talent and success wasn't solely down to their scouting and Bielsa's magic touch despite the fact that he was identified by Brighton aged 16 and carefully managed through U18s, U23s and progressive loans, not to mention making first-team appearances in the League Cup and Championship and Premier League match day squads. You'd have thought the fact that we we extended his contract the day before he went to Leeds and were absolutely not going to agree to Leeds' request for a loan-to-buy deal might have indicated that we had an inclination that he was quite a useful player.

Anyway, what fun we can have on the final day knowing that even if Leeds don't get relegated, Burnley will, with the added consolation bonus of Brentford definitely not finishing above us.

As much as Everton going down would have been hilarious, this is now a straight duel between two sets of thick northern racists. I reckon TB wants to finish above Mathew Benham more than he wants to finish above Palace or see Leeds relegated, given that he wouldn't go in the Director's box up there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Difficult to call who drops tbh, currently Newcastle and Brentford really have nothing to play for but, had this round of fixtures been the first week of the season both home teams would have gone for the win. So hard to call, I keep thinking Brentford will fold but they rarely do .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although I take your point that a lot of their supporters, particularly online, shared in a mass delusion over the BW situation, I would mention that it wasn't all Leeds fans. [MENTION=3003]Starry[/MENTION], for example a long term Leeds supporting poster on here was always clear eyed and even handed about the player and the situation. Like a lot of the time on the internet, the thickest voices seemed to be the loudest. It was irritating, but I point this out because I think many of us wouldn't want to be defined by our club's thickest fans either.

In his own way [MENTION=3003]Starry[/MENTION] (or rather her husband, posting on her account) was every bit as delusional as the muppets thinking they had a god-given right to take Ben White off our hands. His stance was that the player was limited and not worth the sums involved. He's been proved eaqually wrong, IMO.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
[tweet]1527665971804221441[/tweet]

I'm sure they have a really good case - just surprised it's taken this long for the claim to go in (given there was a lot written about Everton's bizarre accounting practices a couple of months ago). If Everton get away with it, you may as well say goodbye to FFP. The problem is, the legal wrangling will go on for ages, either Burnley or Leeds will be relegated, and they won't get their EPL status back. On the upside (for the rest of he Premier League, Everton would likely face a points deduction and possibly a transfer ban).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here