Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley back at pre-season already ?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
It's no different from the days in the office - there were always people that would turn up early and leave late and want to be seen to do so. I'm fifty something and there is now bugger all way I'm doing more than my paid hours.
I made this decision when I was 25, I also wont work a job that routinely requires you to work during the weekend. People gave up asking me if I wanted to work overtime years ago. I'm now in my 40s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I made this decision when I was 25, I also wont work a job that routinely requires you to work during the weekend. People gave up asking me if I wanted to work overtime years ago. I'm now in my 40s.
You're obviously one of the luckier ones that earns enough to live and pay the bills wthout the need of overtime payments. Many do not have the choice.

P.S. I'm not suggesting for one minute that this applies to Burnley professional footballers!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To be fair, Burnley won the title on 25th April, which seems like an AGE ago. While they still had two more games to play at that point, they probably weren't exactly going for it in training (and maybe not in games), so it probably makes some sense to get them back in now, even if it's just for light work?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
You're obviously one of the luckier ones that earns enough to live and pay the bills wthout the need of overtime payments. Many do not have the choice.

P.S. I'm not suggesting for one minute that this applies to Burnley professional footballers!
It's not easy, and requires a little sacrificing, but I prefer to cut my cloth accordingly. If I enjoyed my work, I'd probably work overtime, but I don't , so I wont.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They will all be knackered by Christmas. The current style of playing and number of games will see more players burn out and get injured. Teams will suffer, especially those with small squads.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
As other’s said, think its probably just a potential way to keep players fit as the Championship season concluded a bit sooner- also looks good on Kompany showing what he is doing to make Burnley stand out from the pack whilst transfer activity hasn’t ramped up yet.

From a Brighton perspective though, our players definitely needed a (well deserved) rest- they were on fumes near the end.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
To be fair, Burnley won the title on 25th April, which seems like an AGE ago. While they still had two more games to play at that point, they probably weren't exactly going for it in training (and maybe not in games), so it probably makes some sense to get them back in now, even if it's just for light work?
Absolutely, most employees only get 20 days paid holiday. Why should footballers be different??

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Absolutely, most employees only get 20 days paid holiday. Why should footballers be different??
Nonsense! What about bank Holidays? Most people are on nearer 30 days off a year. Depending on how many monarchs kick the bucket...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Nonsense! What about bank Holidays? Most people are on nearer 30 days off a year. Depending on how many monarchs kick the bucket...
28 days including bank holidays in a typical year I think is the statutory requirement for full time employees. Burnley players have just had 4 weeks off and I am sure they will get odd days here and there in the football season, certainly when there are international breaks.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You cant blame players falling out of love with the game, its relentless for them. Everyone is different, but some time off to be able to do other things in life can leave you feeling a lot more motivated than the continual grind.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And how many of the people who turn up early actually start work when they arrive? I havent worked in an office for over a decade but I remember folk who would arrive early and have their cornflakes at their desk whilst surfing the net.
I used to start work at 6.30 am and was working whilst eating my cornflakes at my desk. Multi tasking.
Where professional footballers are concerned it’s probably a good idea to have them where someone can keep an eye on them, rather than them causing trouble at Mediterranean holiday resorts for the next couple of months.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You cant blame players falling out of love with the game, its relentless for them. Everyone is different, but some time off to be able to do other things in life can leave you feeling a lot more motivated than the continual grind.
Very few seem to fall out of love with the money tho eh
Seems a bit… early ?

Absurd. Burnley now going down due to knackered players and showboating manager (who will prob be gone by mid-season anyways :wave:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to start work at 6.30 am and was working whilst eating my cornflakes at my desk. Multi tasking.
They ALL say that!

Did you also say “afternoon” to co-workers who came in at 09:00?

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here