Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley back at pre-season already ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seems a bit… early ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Poor old Weghorst reported to training 2 days after having played in the cup final. You'd think they would have given him a bit of a rest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just seen rumours of Percy Tau joining them too

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ridiculous. Can’t help thinking it’s Kompany trying to show he’s ahead of the game and innovative. Small margins are the buzz words.

It’s like every interview you see about a manager these days always says they’re the first in the training ground and last to leave - it’s all about showing that you are the hardest working person in the world. The Jake Humphrey/LinkedIn bullshit of the world. Doesn’t matter how smart you are or work - you must be seen to be working 24/7!

A lot of people do lap it up though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ridiculous. Can’t help thinking it’s Kompany trying to show he’s ahead of the game and innovative. Small margins are the buzz words.

It’s like every interview you see about a manager these days always says they’re the first in the training ground and last to leave - it’s all about showing that you are the hardest working person in the world. The Jake Humphrey/LinkedIn bullshit of the world. Doesn’t matter how smart you are or work - you must be seen to be working 24/7!

It's no different from the days in the office - there were always people that would turn up early and leave late and want to be seen to do so. I'm fifty something and there is now bugger all way I'm doing more than my paid hours.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

All very salaryman.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it's a fine idea for the players who need to keep themselves trim in order to prevent ballooning like Eden Hazard.

But from a conditioning perspective I'd imagine they've got to be very careful to get the balance right between proper rest and recovery and maintaining a high physical standard. Any physios on NSC want to weigh in?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I think it's a fine idea for the players who need to keep themselves trim in order to prevent ballooning like Eden Hazard.

But from a conditioning perspective I'd imagine they've got to be very careful to get the balance right between proper rest and recovery and maintaining a high physical standard. Any physios on NSC want to weigh in?
In my experience all physios love a weigh in.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Even if he turned up on the first of September, it’d be too soon to see Jay Rodriguez.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
there hasnt been a proper "off season" since before the Pandemic, what with lengthened seasons, The Euros, World Cups etc. Some international players will not have had a proper break for about three years. Surely this has to have a cumulative negative impact on the body. All those little niggles, slight aches etc simply not getting a chance to properly heal up.

However fit someone is, the body does need a proper rest, Im sure a lot of the injuries we we were seeing in a lot of squads towards the end of last season were caused by players not getting proper recovery time. Lewes was rested for the last two games because of pl;aying for weeks or possibly longer with injuries.

Even this summer break is reduced due to the world cup.

There must be a reasonably high risk of long term injury for players expected to play with effectivly zero down time

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's no different from the days in the office - there were always people that would turn up early and leave late and want to be seen to do so. I'm fifty something and there is now bugger all way I'm doing more than my paid hours.
And how many of the people who turn up early actually start work when they arrive? I havent worked in an office for over a decade but I remember folk who would arrive early and have their cornflakes at their desk whilst surfing the net.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The internationals aside, they have all had four weeks off since EFL season ended..

"Kompany will take his squad to Portugal for a 10-day training camp before enjoying another 10-day break, before their proper pre-season begins in earnest.
The club have yet to reveal any pre-season friendlies ahead of their return to the top flight."

I'm guessing Albion are back in on June 28/29 for a couple of days of check ups with pre season training starting on Mon Jul 3rd. The first friendly I guess will be the weekend of July 8/9th. The US tournament starts on Jul 22 v Chelsea.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And how many of the people who turn up early actually start work when they arrive? I havent worked in an office for over a decade but I remember folk who would arrive early and have their cornflakes at their desk whilst surfing the net.
Exactly ..... but they are still seen to be there early !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here