Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BURKE is at DERBY?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
In 12 months time we'll find out what that rise in quality has cost.

I'll be amazed if player budget is anywhere near the £23m (total) that Burke was working within.

Stephens and Stockdale would prove he wasn't completely hopeless.
But you're right the negatives far outweigh the positives, you don't get the sack on Christmas eve for being 'not quite good enough'.

Although Burke was only one part of some appalling top to bottom management.
It would appear lessons have been learned.

We could even be grateful that he was bad enough to induce change.
Burke could have just been good enough to make the club work, and if that were the case I doubt we'd be where we are now.

So you're going against the statements by the club that the playing budget is now higher?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you're going against the statements by the club that the playing budget is now higher?
No the budget was £20m.
The accounts just published raised it to £23m, even with a £6.3m windfall.

In 12 months time we'll see if £23m to say £26m was enough to fund this crop of players.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You can't have it both ways.

You can't say all shite players signed under Burke's reign of terror is down to him, but all the good players are due to someone else.

If Ulloa was signed while Burke was Director of Football he as much a Burke signing as Chris O'Grady.

Actually we can...

Because Ulloa wasnt a Burke signing wheras COG was.

And he passed on FFS again

And he signed Toko

And Clunge

And Spanish Rod

And Holla

And Kemy

It goes on.

Ok he got Stephens (maybe) and almost certainly Stockdale but the guy is massively MASSIVELY in debit when it comes to the ****ing dross he signed with the funds available.

As for Tex that WAS Sami using his contacts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Actually we can...

And he signed Toko

And Clunge

And Spanish Rod

And Holla

And Kemy

It goes on.

Ok he got Stephens (maybe) and almost certainly Stockdale but the guy is massively MASSIVELY in debit when it comes to the ****ing dross he signed with the funds available.

Hang on I might be a little mentals and enjoy occasional poking the NSC bear, but I'm most definitely not and never will defend Burke.

I'm just saying the problems he caused aren't quite so black and white as 'Burker was shitehouse, everyone else was great'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hang on I might be a little mentals and enjoy occasional poking the NSC bear, but I'm most definitely not and never will defend Burke.

I'm just saying the problems he caused aren't quite so black and white as 'Burker was shitehouse, everyone else was great'.

Indeed, you could argue that Burke couldn't have had 3 more difficult managers to work with to be fair. The ego maniac, the disinterested, and the incompetent.

Pretty clear that the current squad has been shaped by a manager who knows what he is doing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Actually we can...

And he signed Toko

And Clunge

And Spanish Rod

And Holla

And Kemy

It goes on.

Exactly.

How anyone can defend the Burke is beyond me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually we can...

And he signed Toko

And Clunge

And Spanish Rod

And Holla

And Kemy

It goes on.

That scruffy unfit idiot from Barnsley as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed, you could argue that Burke couldn't have had 3 more difficult managers to work with to be fair. The ego maniac, the disinterested, and the incompetent.

Pretty clear that the current squad has been shaped by a manager who knows what he is doing.

Much too simplistic for NSC

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Would it be worth someone popping him an email explaining that we only want £5M for Danny Holla and he has first refusal at this drastically reduced price?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly.

How anyone can defend the Burke is beyond me.
I'm certainly not defending Burke, but after some thought I've come up with:-

There's so much evidence to bury Burke, NSC doesn't need to pad it out with 'not his signing'.
Plus blaming Burke for all last season's woes does conveniently forget the 2 previous play-off runs.

Also it deflects any potential blame that may or may not be better placed further up or down the chain of command.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Has anyone defended him then? ???

I remember Barber and Tony Bloom offering pretty fulsome support - "he won't be going anywhere" or something similar, together with Hyypia. That's when I began to lose faith, that what regular supporters could clearly see, was ignored or worse not apparent to the senior management and ownership. They only just woke up before relegation became a reality. I'm prepared to concede that the appointment of Hughton has so far turned out better than anticipated. And our recruitment has improved beyond measure - although a couple of Hughton's loans were bizarre - Ledesma, Best etc. I also concede it's hard to bring quality loans to a struggling club. Wilson is now demonstrating the reverse of this.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You can't have it both ways.

You can't say all shite players signed under Burke's reign of terror is down to him, but all the good players are due to someone else.

If Ulloa was signed while Burke was Director of Football he as much a Burke signing as Chris O'Grady.

Oh absolutely, and hey, I have no agenda against Burke or any real knowledge of why it didn't work out for him. But certainly it was the transition from Poyet having responsibility for transfers to Burke having responsibility that was a major part of the breakdown of the Poyet-Barber-Bloom relationship. I think Ulloa was one of the last few Poyet-influenced signings (and he was hardly flawless - Baz and Battipiedi spring to mind) when Burke was doing more of the transfer paperwork than actual player identification; before we moved to full implementation of the Burke model. And despite a lot of the dross, yes it did produce Stephens and certainly at the time of his signing I had no idea he could be this good and this influential in a top-of-the-table team - did anyone?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've little time for the bloke, but the likes of Dale Stephens were his signings too, I assume. There must have been SOME hits in amongst all the dross.

Nonetheless, let's hope he works his magic on Derby now :thumbsup:

Throw enough darts and you are bound to hit the board once

PS Wasn't the signing of Stephens influenced by Nathan Jones?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here