Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger King wins

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure I agree. SO MANY of the pubs are part of a big chain now they're all the same.

Such a shame.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brighton Beer Dispensary
Craft Beer Co
Brighton Bierhaus
Brewdog (though agree with the comments above)
Evening Star
Great Eastern
Prince George
Battle of Trafalgar
Watchmakers Arms
Hand in Hand
The Independent
The Nelson
The Urchin
Heart and Hand
Black Dove
Prince Albert
Lion and Lobster
Robin Hood
Basketmakers
Northern Lights

There's loads and loads of decent places to drink if you think about it. I've missed loads

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think there's a 'hatred'? I personally have absolutely no problems with pubs selling craft beer (or gourmet burgers for that matter), or with people who like them. And I did say on the 'Bison Arms' thread it was a shame the people were jerked around by the landlord.

If anything there's a 'hatred' against those of us who like chain stores and whose favourite snack is a Ginsters pasty washed down with a can of Kronie (and those of us who much preferred the PPT before it was ponced up). We're the Brexit-voting untermensch.

Yeah, hate was a bit strong. I think there's something for everyone and the craft beer scene is a good thing IMO. Variety is the spice of life, you can get yourself a pint of heineken anywhere you like.

I had the misfortune to be in the PPT last Christmas Eve. Never again. NOT an improvement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just out of curiosity: do they serve double and triple IPA in a pint glass? My local pub (bar) will only serve it in a 3/4 pint glass because of the ABV.

*land of the free, the pursuit of happiness and all that*

I don't think any decent craft bar will serve those in pints.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People are so hypocritical when it comes to chains and big business. Reminds me of my parents lamenting the steady closure of village shops in the 80s and 90s...on their way to Tesco hypermarket...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, hate was a bit strong. I think there's something for everyone and the craft beer scene is a good thing IMO. Variety is the spice of life, you can get yourself a pint of heineken anywhere you like.

I had the misfortune to be in the PPT last Christmas Eve. Never again. NOT an improvement.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. It's just that I don't like the "Oh God, they're building a Tesco! How frightful!" attitude which some have. As you say Brighton should cater for all tastes and the beer scene IS great, even for people with limited palettes like me, but the increasing gentrification means that the anti-Tesco, anti-McDonalds lobby win more battles than they lose. I personally find that disappointing, although as I said earlier I accept I'm in a minority and it's not the spirit of 'Brighton Nouveaux'

(And don't get me started on the Open Market. My God what a poncy load of useless shit they sell there now since it was rebuilt).

And I REALLY miss the old PPT.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People are so hypocritical when it comes to chains and big business. Reminds me of my parents lamenting the steady closure of village shops in the 80s and 90s...on their way to Tesco hypermarket...

Or back in the day, moaning that the cinema is closing down having spent every Saturday afternoon perusing Blockbusters for entertainment later in the evening.

As for Burger King, if there's a demand I don't really see the issue - as long as their shop is in visible keeping with the surrounding area, and that they keep the area tidy. People like fast food in this country.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Brighton Beer Dispensary
Craft Beer Co
Brighton Bierhaus
Brewdog (though agree with the comments above)
Evening Star
Great Eastern
Prince George
Battle of Trafalgar
Watchmakers Arms
Hand in Hand
The Independent
The Nelson
The Urchin
Heart and Hand
Black Dove
Prince Albert
Lion and Lobster
Robin Hood
Basketmakers
Northern Lights

There's loads and loads of decent places to drink if you think about it. I've missed loads

But a large proportion of those pubs are now Indigo, or Drink in Brighton, which I think was the point being made. There was a golden period about 10 years ago when the local microbreweries were coming online and you'd get a nice variety of these, Harveys, and national breweries' ales which varied from pub to pub. Then Indigo started buying up every pub in Brighton, getting whichever ale is cheapest and selling it at an inflated price across all of their pubs. At least that's the way it appears to me. I think they have about 30 pubs now.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
But a large proportion of those pubs are now Indigo, or Drink in Brighton, which I think was the point being made. There was a golden period about 10 years ago when the local microbreweries were coming online and you'd get a nice variety of these, Harveys, and national breweries' ales which varied from pub to pub. Then Indigo started buying up every pub in Brighton, getting whichever ale is cheapest and selling it at an inflated price across all of their pubs. At least that's the way it appears to me. I think they have about 30 pubs now.

I think in that list of pubs you'll find a huge variety of different beer on offer, across the range from pissy lager to some of the real serious stuff in Brighton Bierhaus. This idea that all the pubs look the same and sell the same stuff doesn't ring true IMO.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Every major City and Town NEEDS MORE Take Aways - Charity Shops and Bookmakers!! it clearly is the making of all Towns & Citys!!

And the more upmarket areas need more Cafes, Antique shops and "whole food" type outlets.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I can't be the only one who likes the occasional Bacon Double Cheeseburger? Proper Service station hangover material that which makes you feel a bit dirty afterwards.

Perhaps if they did a Meal deal with a pint of Bishops Bellend or whatever Bison knock up it would be a compromise for everyone.

Why pay £7ish quid for crap in BK when round the corner in East st you can stuff yourself stupid in Days for a couple of quid more?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I think it would have been a massive success.
But in reality to create the idea would have taken 600k+
I had friends involved with the Bevy pub project and that cost 300k+ and it was a lot of hard work for those involved.
Brighton Council should refuse to give in to Burger King. Take a look at Lewes.

Like most I will be disappointed that the Bison Pub is not happening. I come from a different angle as an investor. I invested not necessarily because I wanted another pub in the city, but to keep BK out. I am not anti BK & there is a place for them too, but not in this location. Unfortunately, I concur, Brighton as a City is on the decline. The Lanes & East St were the higher end of the City & now moving in the same direction as the rest.
Who to blame? In truth I would blame the voters. You get what you deserve

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton Council should refuse to give in to Burger King. Take a look at Lewes.

thing is Brighton town centre is a large area with many different zones. as i see it right now, you have Churchill Sq to North St for commercial/brands, Lanes remains a warren with a mix of small boutiques both branded and indi, along with restaurants, North Laine is predominantly small indi shops, execpt Jubilee street for bit upmarket/after theatre. East St is already more branded than further into the Lanes. London Rd is still a hole. overall the council is probably getting it about right, letting new stuff inkeeping the general vibe of each area. .

thinking about it, i dont really recognise all the "place is going down hill".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think in that list of pubs you'll find a huge variety of different beer on offer, across the range from pissy lager to some of the real serious stuff in Brighton Bierhaus. This idea that all the pubs look the same and sell the same stuff doesn't ring true IMO.

I agree.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Why pay £7ish quid for crap in BK when round the corner in East st you can stuff yourself stupid in Days for a couple of quid more?

I dont disagree with th logic, just that every now and then a proper pikey Bacon double, thier crap fries and a sprite probably containing a mouthful of the servers gob hit's the spot in a dirty sex kind of way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here