Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bull chases lollipop lady in Hollingdean...

1066 seagull

Sep 25, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure this incident happened in Hollingdean when I was a kid ( around mid 70s). Does anyone recall seeing/reading about this wonderful tale. I've googled it and searched Argus archives but no success.

Did I imagine it? My hazy memory tells me, the bull escaped from Hollingdean abattoir, ran up Davey Drive and had an altercation with a lollipop lady en route. There then was a campaign to save the bull but the brave bugger ended up being slaughtered at the abattoir...:(

Or am I turning into a Billy Liar/Walter Mitty character and unconsciously making this stuff up - I hope not??

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I think your mixing that story up with the 1 where they tried to cross a bull with davey the lollipop lady bus driver.

wow.jpg

D

Deleted User X18H

I know a racehorse ran all the way down Elm Grove in the 90's after despatching its jockey at the 4 furlong pole then going for a canter around the level.

There was an abattoir in Hollingdean so this could well be true.

I seem to remember a bull escaping from the abattoir in the 80's it was cornered and shot on the green next to the reservoir between Cobden Road and Islingword Road.

Or is my memory using poetic licence on this one?!!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I remember a couple of occasions while at school at Hertford Middle of being kept in at breaks because a cow/bull had escaped and run straight up Davey Drive and up to the playing fields next to the school so the escaping is definately true but not sure about the lollipop lady bit

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I remember a couple of occasions while at school at Hertford Middle of being kept in at breaks because a cow/bull had escaped and run straight up Davey Drive and up to the playing fields next to the school so the escaping is definately true but not sure about the lollipop lady bit

I was at Hertford Middle too ('78 to '82) and remember the story. Part of me thinks I may have *seen* the bull through the fence on the top field one break-time, but then I also "remember" seeing a UFO fly over Lynchet Close, so maybe put that memory down to old age...

Bloody long way for a bull to run mind you.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
How strange as I was only boring my son's partner and 2 of my g/kids, as we went up Hollingdean road on the P&R last Saturday, of how there used to be an abbotoir and animals would sometimes escape and run amok. There's a fair chance the incident mentioned actually happened.

I also used to work part time doing tripe packing at the ab, yuk!

1066 seagull

Sep 25, 2008
Brighton
OK I think we're making a little progress. It appears a bull did escape. From memory only Hertford Infants (on Hertford Road) and St Joseph's (Davey Drive) had lollipop ladies.
I'm sure I remember giggling at a distraught quote in the Evening Argus from the lollipop lady explaining how she had to run for her life.
Anyone with 'hard' evidence most welcome to join in this 'justifying a local urban myth' thread...

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I was at Hertford Middle too ('78 to '82) and remember the story. Part of me thinks I may have *seen* the bull through the fence on the top field one break-time, but then I also "remember" seeing a UFO fly over Lynchet Close, so maybe put that memory down to old age...

Bloody long way for a bull to run mind you.

I would have been 7 to 11 years old on those dates and to be honest I half recall seeing it and all being sent back inside but wasnt certain.

And if you think of the bull runs in Spain its not that far

Never saw the UFO though :)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sounds like a load of old Bull to me, quite honestly..

:whistle:

Yep. I remember reading about it in the Argus. My recollection is that the animal was eventually caught in Bear Road.

Or was it a bear that escaped and got caught in Buller Road?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I definitely remember the bull escaping - it was a godsend for the Argus as there was a ready-made lead story almost on its doorstep.

Don't remember a lollipop lady though, that's not to say it didn't happen.

Yep, that's my recollection as well. I used to live in Hollingdean and I remember the Bull incident but not the lollipop lady bit

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yep. I remember reading about it in the Argus. My recollection is that the animal was eventually caught in Bear Road.

Or was it a bear that escaped and got caught in Buller Road?

Are you sure it wasn't a sheep that escaped & ended up in Ewhurst Rd?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I must have been living around the Black Country too long but I saw this headline and had a clear vision of ex-Wolves and England forward Steve Bull chasing a lollipop lady down the road!

For those who know him it made perfect sense :)

.....but yes, I too have a memory of animals escaping from the abbattoir and I am pretty sure this incident did happen.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I definitely remember the bull escaping - it was a godsend for the Argus as there was a ready-made lead story almost on its doorstep.

Don't remember a lollipop lady though, that's not to say it didn't happen.

Is this you?
early morning stroll_018 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Good photos, even the bloody motorcycles that disturb my afternon walks aound the golfcourse. Love the wallpaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here