Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Building the 22/23 squad. Ins and outs??

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Given we often play three at the back, and he's gone with four CBs (one of which sometimes fills in at RB/RWB), I doubt he's nailed it.

Won't rule out a new CB (other than Van Hecke) coming on, or Duffy staying, but I think Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Van Hecke and Cucurella might be enough as CB options, with someone like Ed Turns as their cover.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
3 in all frees and EPL experience - Maitland Niles, Origi and highly unlikely Lindgard (big wages)
4 out Bissouma, Duffy, Maupay and March
Youngsters / loans to replace / give shape

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3 in all frees and EPL experience - Maitland Niles, Origi and highly unlikely Lindgard (big wages)
I was hoping to have a second season without a relegation battle.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If Trossard did decide to move elsewhere I'd be very happy if we signed a clone of him.

In that case, it makes sense to do all we can to keep him.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
You forgot the £120m debt we are in over the last two seasons.

Suspect few incomings as we have several on loan to come back in Undav, Mitoma, Van Heck, Khadra, Kozlowski and the odd other player.

Can't see us spending big this summer due to our losses but think Welbs should be offered a new deal and thats about it. For the first time in a while I'm not expecting too much activity other than players returning from loans and the likely sale of Bissouma and possibly Trossard.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
You forgot the £120m debt we are in over the last two seasons.

Suspect few incomings as we have several on loan to come back in Undav, Mitoma, Van Heck, Khadra, Kozlowski and the odd other player.

Can't see us spending big this summer due to our losses but think Welbs should be offered a new deal and thats about it. For the first time in a while I'm not expecting too much activity other than players returning from loans and the likely sale of Bissouma and possibly Trossard.

The voice of reason

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Duffy - £5m, Burnley"

Mate, Shaun 'we'll singe any Brighton player' Douche has been sacked :wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The reason we can get away with not recruiting too many this summer is because we have bought several "for a future season" players in the past.

With that in mind I think we will sign 1 or 2 more "for a future season" players this summer as well to keep the conveyor belt topped up. Those that don't like signing "for a future season" players will have their annual moan lol.

As well as the 1 - 2 players above, I think we will sign a central defender ( in addition to adding van Hecke to the squad ), a more experienced goal keeper, a direct replacement for Trossard if he goes, and a direct replacement for Maupay if he goes.

Outs : Bissouma, (Trossard), (Maupay), Duffy, Connolly, Clarke, Karbownik, Andone, Băluţa, Groß, Østigård, Richards.

Last edited:

Sir-Len

Oct 28, 2012
Berkshire
Interesting no one has mentioned Sanchez as a possible out. In a world of statistical analysis to identify players, Sanchez is right up there with the best of the Prem. I’d expect considerable interest in our current number 1. Scherpen may well be far more important next season than just another loan.

On to next season and it’s worth noting the loan process is changing making it more difficult to hoard players. Only 8 over 21 year old players who aren’t ‘home grown’ will be permitted per EPL club to be loaned out. We have had 23 players out on loan this season, 3 now sold, 1 released and 1 returned. As the list below illustrates we wouldn’t have been trouble this season under next seasons rules, but it does potentially leave us with an extremely busy summer sorting out who stays, who goes and those we want to develop further away from the club. I think it’s going to be busy but will only see us spend big if someone we don’t see leaving, goes.

We have some terrific cover in the making for key positions, the big question is who’s premier league ready to take them on if we lose starting 11 players. Is Mitoma ready to replace Trossard? Is Scherpen a viable option instead of Sanchez? Is Offiah ready to challenge Lamptey? Can Alzate step up full time to play next to Caicedo? In turn who replaces the back up options in the first team 20 with 5 subs next season?

This close season is going to be fascinating as it unfolds given our strong finish this season and the anticipation of improving again next.

Christian Walton sold
Florin Andone
Matt Clarke HGP
Jayson Molumby sold
Leo Ostigard HGP
Abdallah Sima 20 yr old
Reda Khadra 20 yr old
Jan Paul van Hecke
Aaron Connolly HGP
Taylor Richards HGP
Ryan Longman sold
Michal Karbownik 20 yr old
Andi Zeqiri
Teddy Jenks HGP
Alex Cochrane HGP
Lars Dendoncker 20 yr old
Jensen Weir 19 yr old
Carl Rushworth 20 yr old
Kaoru Mitoma
Kacper Kozlowski 18 yr old
Billy Arce Released

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting no one has mentioned Sanchez as a possible out. In a world of statistical analysis to identify players, Sanchez is right up there with the best of the Prem. I’d expect considerable interest in our current number 1. Scherpen may well be far more important next season than just another loan.

Right now most top teams in Europe seem to be quite happy with their goalkeepers and thats the main reason I think Sanchez will be staying another year (or two).

Kjell Scherpen is not ready and this is just three examples why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd44RvTK1E0

He has a lot of raw potential... the right build, reflexes, generally good feet but when it rains it pours, was the case in Ajax and now in Oostende. Needs another year on loan somewhere. I think he is probably behind at least Sanchez, Steele and Rushworth at the moment (not seen enough of McGill, Bull and Beadle).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
New deal for Maupay not sure about that on recent developments. A younger taller striker who can hold the line similar to Welbeck would be ideal.

I disagree, Maupay has gone off the boil before yet come back and started scoring goals again, I'm confident he will come good again next season.

Besides which he scored a few crucial goals for us this time around, people have short memories. All this providing he wants to stay of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

On to next season and it’s worth noting the loan process is changing making it more difficult to hoard players. Only 8 over 21 year old players who aren’t ‘home grown’ will be permitted per EPL club to be loaned out. We have had 23 players out on loan this season, 3 now sold, 1 released and 1 returned. As the list below illustrates we wouldn’t have been trouble this season under next seasons rules, but it does potentially leave us with an extremely busy summer sorting out who stays, who goes and those we want to develop further away from the club. I think it’s going to be busy but will only see us spend big if someone we don’t see leaving, goes.

We have some terrific cover in the making for key positions, the big question is who’s premier league ready to take them on if we lose starting 11 players. Is Mitoma ready to replace Trossard? Is Scherpen a viable option instead of Sanchez? Is Offiah ready to challenge Lamptey? Can Alzate step up full time to play next to Caicedo? In turn who replaces the back up options in the first team 20 with 5 subs next season?

This close season is going to be fascinating as it unfolds given our strong finish this season and the anticipation of improving again next.

Christian Walton sold
Florin Andone
Matt Clarke HGP
Jayson Molumby sold
Leo Ostigard HGP
Abdallah Sima 20 yr old
Reda Khadra 20 yr old
Jan Paul van Hecke
Aaron Connolly HGP
Taylor Richards HGP
Ryan Longman sold
Michal Karbownik 20 yr old
Andi Zeqiri
Teddy Jenks HGP
Alex Cochrane HGP
Lars Dendoncker 20 yr old
Jensen Weir 19 yr old
Carl Rushworth 20 yr old
Kaoru Mitoma
Kacper Kozlowski 18 yr old
Billy Arce Released

The numbers for younger loanees are not limited/about to be limited, are they? I'm sure our management team have got it sussed; maybe a few sales with buy-back/sell-on clauses incoming?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If Trossard did decide to move elsewhere I'd be very happy if we signed a clone of him.

In that case, it makes sense to do all we can to keep him.

Not sure USG will let us sign Vanzier as well so best keep Trossard.

Or maybe we can sign Vanzier for the winter months when Tross doesn’t seem quite as good

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure USG will let us sign Vanzier as well so best keep Trossard.

Or maybe we can sign Vanzier for the winter months when Tross doesn’t seem quite as good

More than likely that Vanzeir would be moving to a club in one of Europe’s biggest leagues next year anyway, so would make sense that it’s us if we can’t keep hold of Trossard. Besides, it’s not as if they don’t benefit from some useful loan signings the other way.

If we’re talking potential USG - Brighton transfers, Van der Heyden would seem a logical one if we reckon we need another CB: left footed, 23 and recently won first cap for Belgium.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Of all the squad, Trossard is my only concern regarding leaving. Biss we all understand will leave and I hope it's for £50 million rather than £42 but I think Trossard seems happy here and maybe knows he wont get picked every game at a bigger club (not that he gets picked weekly here).
As for incoming, TB may well have to spend some of the £100 million from Biss & White on that elusive man up front.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Given we often play three at the back, and he's gone with four CBs (one of which sometimes fills in at RB/RWB), I doubt he's nailed it.

Given both Cucurella and Cochrane have played LCB, I think their flexibility provides more than adequate cover. Veltman, Solly and Webbo have played RB.

Be an interesting summer in terms of retention as much as recruitment

Stumpy Tim

Of all the squad, Trossard is my only concern regarding leaving. Biss we all understand will leave and I hope it's for £50 million rather than £42 but I think Trossard seems happy here and maybe knows he wont get picked every game at a bigger club (not that he gets picked weekly here).
As for incoming, TB may well have to spend some of the £100 million from Biss & White on that elusive man up front.

Hate to say it, but I think Trossard is as likely to leave as Bissouma. There was talk of Barcelona sniffing around, which seems unlikely but you never know. He could easily get in big teams given he's becoming more of a regular for Belgium.

I'm expecting a mini rebuild this summer with Bissouma, Trossard and Maupay leaving. I really hope we get MacAllister on a new contract though... losing all four would be really difficult to replace.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here