Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Building advice needed please

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
We had the chimney taken off the roof and out of the loft space when the loft was converted, we just ran out of money to take it out of all the rooms. Wish we'd found the cash for the rest of the chimneys at the time as it would have been much cheaper.

Our friends had similar done with a bit less demolition for £1500 a few years ago so £2800 is much more what I expected / hoped for.

Would I save much money by doing the demolition and rubble removal of the chimney breasts myself? It would leave the knock through, steel and plastering.

yes of course !!!!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We had the chimney taken off the roof and out of the loft space when the loft was converted, we just ran out of money to take it out of all the rooms. Wish we'd found the cash for the rest of the chimneys at the time as it would have been much cheaper.

Our friends had similar done with a bit less demolition for £1500 a few years ago so £2800 is much more what I expected / hoped for.

Would I save much money by doing the demolition and rubble removal of the chimney breasts myself? It would leave the knock through, steel and plastering.

Wages are a bit up in building last year or two, doubled in some areas.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
As a very experienced builder (ex Bricklayer now in my 31st year of senior management) get 3 quotes and ensure the quotes are specifying EXACTLY what you require.

Pay nothing upfront, agree any stage payment (if it is indeed even necessary on a job such as this) Recommendations are very good, but ensure they are genuine (i'm sure all the ones on here are :thumbsup:) 3 quotes are paramount, and cheapest is not always the best option!

Most of all, ensure any agreements are in writing..........trust is great............till it goes wrong!!! ............apart from that......Good Luck :thumbsup:

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
As a very experienced builder (ex Bricklayer now in my 31st year of senior management) get 3 quotes and ensure the quotes are specifying EXACTLY what you require.

Pay nothing upfront, agree any stage payment (if it is indeed even necessary on a job such as this) Recommendations are very good, but ensure they are genuine (i'm sure all the ones on here are :thumbsup:) 3 quotes are paramount, and cheapest is not always the best option!

Most of all, ensure any agreements are in writing..........trust is great............till it goes wrong!!! ............apart from that......Good Luck :thumbsup:

You used to be able to download small works contracts for free on the FMB site, ideal for this kind of work

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I would say 600 to 1200 per chimney

2K for steel

120 to 300 for plastering & same for floor

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I would say 600 to 1200 per chimney

2K for steel

120 to 300 for plastering & same for floor

It is absolutely impossible to give ANY FORM OF A QUOTE without seeing the works in hand and doing a proper estimate of 1) specification of works required 2) materials required 3) labour requirements 4) plant requirements etc etc

I know a smallish company that did a quote for some external works via google earth........they lost circa £6000 on the whole job! ..........sadly for them google earth did not let them see the back of the property (and other detail) .........I accept that whole concept is pure madness, but it's true, sometimes people will cut corners to try and save a few quid / time, but sadly on this occasion for the company concerned, but extremely good for the customer, a contract was in place...........end result........the job did get completed to an acceptable standard and at no loss to the paying customer.

D

Deleted member 2719

We have had just got three quotes for some windows plus brick work. It's amazing how builders all have different ideas! Not sure if its to suit them or they believe it's the best for the customer!
Now we are just wondering whether their two week start date is realistic or not.
The downside is the builder we have gone for is a Pompey fan, should I wait to give out the banter when he has taken his cement mixer away?!!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
It is absolutely impossible to give ANY FORM OF A QUOTE without seeing the works in hand and doing a proper estimate of 1) specification of works required 2) materials required 3) labour requirements 4) plant requirements etc etc

I know a smallish company that did a quote for some external works via google earth........they lost circa £6000 on the whole job! ..........sadly for them google earth did not let them see the back of the property (and other detail) .........I accept that whole concept is pure madness, but it's true, sometimes people will cut corners to try and save a few quid / time, but sadly on this occasion for the company concerned, but extremely good for the customer, a contract was in place...........end result........the job did get completed to an acceptable standard and at no loss to the paying customer.

I'm not quoting. I'm estimating what I think it should cost - yes without having seen it - but there aren't any pics

600 is very cheap for a chimney..

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Happy to meet up, go through the works, and give you a price.......

Please feel free to Message me.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Thanks for all of the advice, it has definitely helped. The first thing I am going to do is get all the people who have quoted so far to supply a full breakdown of the price - they'd just given a headline number at the moment.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks for all of the advice, it has definitely helped. The first thing I am going to do is get all the people who have quoted so far to supply a full breakdown of the price - they'd just given a headline number at the moment.

None of my business, of course, but having asked for advice from builders on here regarding a price for a job, and having received both advice and offers to quote for the work, it might be an idea to let a couple of the guys who indicated they'd like to quote do so? Good luck with getting the work done!

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
None of my business, of course, but having asked for advice from builders on here regarding a price for a job, and having received both advice and offers to quote for the work, it might be an idea to let a couple of the guys who indicated they'd like to quote do so? Good luck with getting the work done!

Yep that's the plan. Already replied to Captain Grealish's PM and will get in touch with the others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here