Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Builders etc O/T

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
My HA are fitting our houses with new kitchens.
The planning fella reckoned they'd be in & out in a couple of days.

They've started work on the first house but they've now been in there for 3 weeks & it looks like they still aint going to finish it any time soon.
The workmanship is at best shoddy & the units still have doors & shelves missing, the tiling must have been done by a drunk Stevie Wonder. The back patio & kitchen floor are covered in a dried pug-like substance.

Does anyone on here or in the trade know if there is there any certificates of competence/City & Guilds or similar I can insist on seeing before they start on my house as they look like they're on a community service programme & not proper tried & tested kitchen fitters at all. I cant afford to have 3+ weeks off work.
:nono:

brightonbluenose

May 6, 2006
The construction company I work for do plenty of these 'Decent Homes Standard' refurbishments and we have just competed nearly 700 units in South London.

Generally it is the HA's responsibility to ensure they are employing a competent contractor to carry out the works, however, the contractor will employ sub-contractors who can be of variable quality!

There should be a specification and a period of time for each property agreed between the HA and the contractor, before they start on your property they should be visiting you and explaining what works are being done and how long they will take etc.

There should be a system in place that once the works are complete the HA inspects and signs them off and you should be given the opportunity to do the same.

If you have any problems shout LOUD to the HA - good luck!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Give the HA some grief

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I'm a builder in south london too.If your not happy, don't be afraid to have a moan.

Our work is pretty shoddy too (not my carpentry i might add),it's the nature of the business in london.Pikey's that don't give a shit.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Unfortunately Dan it's the old "you pay peanuts you get monkeys" senario.

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
Cheers guys, you've been great.
I saw one of the main contractors vans up here today rather than the subbies they've been using so maybe they're taking it over at last.

One of my neighbours was asked if she had a hammer he could borrow by one of them as he'd left his at home:eek:
He'd also rolled up with no dust sheets either :eek: :eek:

This crowd would give pikeys a bad name.. :down:

btw, what is a reasonable amount of time to do a kitchen? 12 cupboards, 40 tiles & lay flooring approx 18' x 10'

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Earlybird said:

btw, what is a reasonable amount of time to do a kitchen? 12 cupboards, 40 tiles & lay flooring approx 18' x 10'
All depends on alterations.If a straight swap and no cornice or pelmet, no major plumbing, no electrics,then i would say a week for a 2 man team.Also it depends on worktop runs, proper routed joints are the way to go, but take time.

Last edited:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Bakesy said:
All depends on alterations.If a straight swap and no cornice or pelmet, no major plumbing, no electrics,then i would say a week for a 2 man team.Also it depends on worktop runs, proper routed joints are the way to go, but take time.
a week for two men i would'nt fancy paying you day work

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here