Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Build A Bonfire

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
I was proud to be a part of the protest at the York game but was a little concerned by some of the new faces giving out leaflets encouraging us to join marches and rallies against political issues that had no bearing on the club. Were these people invited or did they just turn up? Recruiting or recruited? As it turned out they were more than a little miffed when they realised that we were passionate about the plight of our football team but didn't really give a shit about their causes. We just didn't need "Rent-a-Mob".

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
For me the Mellor march was definitely a stand out moment (among lots!) Loads of Brighton fans parading through Archer's sleepy little village explaining in graphic detail to his neighbours and the local pub landlord exactly what kind of arseh*le was living in their midst. Playing 'Sussex By The Sea' on the fiddle while standing on his wall was probably a mistake though, sorry :)
The follow up visits to his house were a laugh as well. FIVE of us in Paul Samrah's car, parking discreetly some distance away, plodding up a hill to be confronted by ridiculous numbers of police with back up units on standby. 'Sorry, lads, he's gone away for the weekend....' :)
Bring on Falmer.

1. In the pub, an old chap beckoned me over.

He found it hard to talk because of his age and a combined illness.

Despite this, he managed to tell me that he was 92 years old, and never, under any circumstance, came to the pub at that time of day, but on this occasion he did so because he wanted to wish us all well in ' our right to save our football club from a money orientated bastard ' ( his words ) that he didn't know was living there until the leaflet drop.

I offered to buy him a beer, but he was insulted because he insisted on buying me one.

2. Playing gosbts on the flint wall totally calmed the situation down, and f***ed off the press who wanted the situation to explode.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
those around at the time all have a story to tell i guess,theres only one part of that era i regret to this day and that was the pitch invasion and following crowd trouble down at bournemouth, at the time it seemed the perfect opportunity to get across Brightons plight in front of the cameras,looking back on that day it just gave a general view to the media and watching public that Brighton supporters were nothing more than yobs,and thats exactly how it looked,i dont know if our protests changed anything but they certainly remain as vivid in my memory, i wouldnt change any of the events i took part in concerning that era ,apart from the bournemouth incident.

Good post Harold btw

littlehamptonbha

Jan 24, 2010
littlehampton
third person on the pitch in york game. went to the centre circle,then headed for the south stand crossbar.there was no violence that day,just our way of putting our point across to the scum bag owners.i no at least three people (im sure there was many more )that had to pay compensation for new crossbar and we all had to pay £500 each...bloody expensive crossbar they had for the last season at the goldstone :lolol:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Is there a video of the whole lot? Difficult to keep track with the youtube videos. It would be nice to have something produced if there is not in the timeline of events with various interviews of people. A factual documentary of BaB.

I've got a couple of DVDs

One is a collection of TV news items covering the whole period and one is called 'More than 90 minutes' and was produced by someone on here I think.

I'd be happy to burn you copies if you want

:thumbsup:

Hissing Fauna

Jan 12, 2010
Brighton
As a Cambridge United fan, I went to the fans united day and it still lives with me as a an incredible day (poor old Hartlepool though - 99% of the ground cheering every Albion touch). Apart from some idiot from southend trying to start on me, it was a real demonstration of what football is all about - we're not 'customers' - we are fans. respect to the Brighton fans that came our our own fans united game when we faced extinction - it was an important step in the formation of our suppoprters trust, and we are tryin now to buy our ground back. Link : When Saturday Comes - The Half Decent Football Magazine - Cambridge United fans race against time

our league game at yours that season was one of the strangest experiences at a football match - the level of hate from three sides of the ground directed at B****** and A***** from the home fans was astounding - like the game wasn't going on, almost.

As a Brighton resident for the past 20 years, everytime I go past where the Goldstone used to be, I a) feel a real sense of anger, b) think there but for the grace of god go I - we haven't been kicked out - but our ex chirman would love to replace our home with a Tescos or houses.

I shall come to Falmer - not for your team, but for football fans everywhere *

*just the once - until we get back in the league

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Some great memories there. Thanks to Shamwow Vince (a twentysomething Chelsea fan from Florida) who through me yammering on about the Albion at him all day every day , and through reading BaB is developing a healthy dislike for Palace and Portsmouth and has started looking out for the Albion's results.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
ok, fair enough, i'm not sure exactly what i'm trying to say with my posts, and certainly don't have the memories to post as passionately and eloquently as you.

TLO's last post perhaps sums up what i was trying to say far better than how i put it, so i retract my 'fools riot' phrase. apolgies.

harold, please don't bring TSLR into this, i thought my PM's many months ago appeased you sufficiently for you to stop this public smearing.

i find this ungentlemanly of you.

Listen chum, you post here with TSLR as your avatar, and I had a well documented run-in with the lad who sells it. That's why I mentioned your tome. No, your PMs did not make me change my opinion of your lot, or there behaviour that day. In fact the phone call (to my mate) wasn't appreciated by me at all. For the record, I have no interest in a public smearing. Very poor choice of words (seems you have a habit of doing that) as I have only ever stated fact (which you conceded and apologised for post Hudds) and your comments on mindless behaviour struck me as hypocritical. Anyway, matter closed.

I merely had to respond to the 'fools riot' statement. Something you have now sensibly retracted. Again, matter closed.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Liam Brady has had a few mentions. He was class, and got evenn some the the idiots that write for the press to understand that this was "more than ninety minutes". I hope he is a guest of the club Falmer and presented to us all at Falmer.

Feb 14, 2010
As a Cambridge United fan, I went to the fans united day and it still lives with me as a an incredible day (poor old Hartlepool though - 99% of the ground cheering every Albion touch). Apart from some idiot from southend trying to start on me, it was a real demonstration of what football is all about - we're not 'customers' - we are fans. respect to the Brighton fans that came our our own fans united game when we faced extinction - it was an important step in the formation of our suppoprters trust, and we are tryin now to buy our ground back. Link : When Saturday Comes - The Half Decent Football Magazine - Cambridge United fans race against time

our league game at yours that season was one of the strangest experiences at a football match - the level of hate from three sides of the ground directed at B****** and A***** from the home fans was astounding - like the game wasn't going on, almost.

As a Brighton resident for the past 20 years, everytime I go past where the Goldstone used to be, I a) feel a real sense of anger, b) think there but for the grace of god go I - we haven't been kicked out - but our ex chirman would love to replace our home with a Tescos or houses.

I shall come to Falmer - not for your team, but for football fans everywhere *

*just the once - until we get back in the league

and you sir will be more than welcome. If the albion are getting the crowds in then it might be difficult to do a celebration fans united "we fought we won job done" day, but I would like to see it

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
and you sir will be more than welcome. If the albion are getting the crowds in then it might be difficult to do a celebration fans united "we fought we won job done" day, but I would like to see it

Surely this HAS to happen? Might be a bit harder with no pay-on-the-gate, but leaflets can be printed, websites used, etc to get the info out to those not used to Falmer ticketing.

Some time in season 1, not a 'high-profile' game, not first/last of the season, but there's no reason why this shouldn't work.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Im still banned from home games now for snapping the south stand goal post at the york city game. Would not change anything I did that day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here