Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget 2014

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Not harsh at all. Everyone would be delighted and going to bed thinking of the profit they are making instead of worrying and moaning about how much the prices are going up. Any sane person would hope the price would double from 18% to 36%, I would if I had a flat/house.

I have a flat and I DON'T want property prices to double as I feel sorry for the people who can't get on the ladder and I won't be able to make the step up to a house because the prices increases put it out of my reach. My plan isn't to raise a family in a flat with a kitchen the size of a postage stamp.

You sound an angry bitter person

@mejone12 aka riskit was merely stating his shock at the increases and I agree.

Also this is interesting from Robert Peston on how removing the need to buy an annuity may have unintended consequences for the bond and credit markets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26663313

The final paragraph is a tad worrying if you are looking to maximise a pension "upfront" due to a reduced life expectancy.

"Which is why in giving additional freedom to those in defined contribution schemes to do what they like with their money, the Chancellor is minded to give rather less freedom to those in defined benefit schemes - he has signalled he will probably ban members of final salary schemes from switching to defined contribution funds."

When I retired (at 56), had I taken a pension from the final salary scheme of which I was a member then this would have been around 35% of what I received by buying an annuity via a transfer into a stakeholder (DC) fund. I also took out 25% as a tax-free sum before buying the annuity.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. We bought a pretty standard "first-time-buyers" home 2 years ago. Nothing special and paid a normal, going rate for it. We recently had it valued when applying for a new fixed rate as well as researching what similar properies were going for. Very roughly, if we were to sell, we would to sell at around 15-17% higher than what we paid for it.

Bonkers. I have no idea if that is normal or below the normal rate of house price-growth, but I was shocked.

That's almost exactly the same as we've experienced. Bought 2 years ago and if we were to sell today we'd have made around 17%. Ridiculous. As it stands we've bought the house that we plan to stay in for the very long haul, but I'm shocked as well at the increase, and I'm delighted we bought when & where we did.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I'm sure those in the queues at the food banks are delighted that that they're ISA limit is up to 15k and they're big pension pots now look a bit safer. Not as happy as they'll be about the reduction in bingo tax. But I think the winner for those who can't afford to eat is the alignment of tax rates for all long haul flights. Yep, we're all in it together.....

Give up booze, cigarettes, drugs, gambling and they wouldn't need food banks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's almost exactly the same as we've experienced. Bought 2 years ago and if we were to sell today we'd have made around 17%. Ridiculous. As it stands we've bought the house that we plan to stay in for the very long haul, but I'm shocked as well at the increase, and I'm delighted we bought when & where we did.

Having moved about 15 years ago I think the value of our house has probably trebled in that time. This sounds great, but unfortunately it's almost meaningless to us as we need somewhere to live. Just means It'll be an asset to sell when I am at the 'dribbling soup down my front' stage to pay for the nursing home (and it'll probably cover about 3 months residence given the cost of those things)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Surely we're not back to sitting round the dinner table boasting at how much we think our property has gone up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here