Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Bucket list items you're never going to achieve

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would never have a bucket list as having one would acknowledge my mortality.

However, things I do/did like to do but alas no more:

Go for a proper run (my right knee would hand in a post-match transfer request).

Hmmmm......that's all I can think of, presently. I may update in the coming years as various bits of me drop off or cease to function. On the other hand, perhaps I won't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had a massive expectation that I would die at 40, for absolutely no logical reason, I mean my parents both lived into their 90’s.

It’s very hard to explain, the feeling was utterly dominant. It made me utterly driven, I actually made a bucket list, although it wasn’t called that back then, in 1978.

I did them all bar one; I didn’t retire until I was 41.

I bitterly regret it now, looking back I can’t believe just how selfish I was to the detriment of my family.

Wow.

I was convinced I wouldn't live longer than my dad. He was 62 when he went. Once I hit 63 it was an apotheosis. Fortunately I didn't do anything weird or desperate before that - just had anxious wistful moments. It's all gravy now - like every day is a bonus.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How is everyone ignoring how weird the first post is? I've never seen 'killing someone' on anyone's bucket list before.

Anyway...

I think a lot of us will feel a bit uneasy and uncomfortable. Do I want to share a board with such people?

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Sailing round Cape Horn and through the Magellan Strait.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'd love to be able to get under a 4 hour marathon. I did 4:26 then 4:01 but have been struggling with injuries ever since.

A realistic bucket list would be;
Go part time after 60
Retire before I'm 67
Visit San Francisco
And hopefully to be able to run again, or walk without pain.

Possibly not very adventurous.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
A guy I know has a similar-ish story about playing for St Pauli. He was at uni in Hamburg and played for the 4th team which was basically a student team. The first team had a cup game and were fielding their reserves but had an injury crisis and had to look further down the pecking to the 3rd and 4th level to make up the numbers. As it was a cup game, and there was a possibility of drug testing, they asked all potential players if they’d smoked any weed in the past few weeks….many had but my mate hadn't and by default ended up on the bench for the game. In the lead by a big margin they put him on for the last 5 minutes. That was his St Pauli career.

I'd defo settle for that!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How is everyone ignoring how weird the first post is? I've never seen 'killing someone' on anyone's bucket list before.

I noticed that, add it to other things he has come out with, I was tempted to comment.
However I have clashed with the OP on many occasions and resisted the urge to bite as he does say "Killing a person. Would be very interesting obviously but I've grown milder with age and would struggle to do it no matter the situation"

which kind of let's him off the hook slightly, but I still find this worrying
"Killing a person. Would be very interesting obviously"

Obviously :shootself

:lolol:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I noticed that, add it to other things he has come out with, I was tempted to comment.
However I have clashed with the OP on many occasions and resisted the urge to bite as he does say "Killing a person. Would be very interesting obviously but I've grown milder with age and would struggle to do it no matter the situation"

The guys a f*****g fruit loop, too much weed has consequences.

I think the authorities need tipping off when this loon arrives on these shores!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When I was a kid my dream was to visit Kenya, Borneo and the Amazon. I was fortunate enough to travel through Kenya when I was 19, got to Borneo when I was 21 and have worked there ever since. I'm almost 50 now and the Amazon has proved very elusive! Thought it was finally going to happen with a conference planned in Ecuador in 2020, flights bought and everything, and then you know what happened and it became an online conference. Starting to wonder if I'm destined never to get there!

Oh, and a threesome with a couple of cute college girls, that might be beyond me now :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Live until I'm 250 years old.

I watch these TV programmes like Gordon, Gino & Fred and would love to do these tours and arrive at a pub/restaurant and have a good evening. But tried it three times in the last two years touring the UK and it just doesn't happen.
Bucket list destination was Red Square but again, if I went there it would be 'yep, here I am, now what?'
Of all the things I dreamt of back in the 70's I have only one to do. Visit the Radio Caroline ship. Reckon to tick this off in 2022.

I did the trip out to the Ross Revenge last year on one of the broadcast weekends. If you know the history of the station (not just the 60s, but all the way through to where they are at now) it is very interesting and great to see a bit of history still going. They are doing a broadcast weekend in early July with a bunch of the old Mi Amigo presenters from the 70s.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Surprised someone disagrees it would be interesting. The psychology, the emotions, the physical aspects of it... of course it would be damn interesting! When someone sees it as meh or trivial, thats when you should worry.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Wow.

I was convinced I wouldn't live longer than my dad. He was 62 when he went. Once I hit 63 it was an apotheosis. Fortunately I didn't do anything weird or desperate before that - just had anxious wistful moments. It's all gravy now - like every day is a bonus.

I find this really interesting. I hope you don't mind me commenting that it seems a fairly common male 'thing'. I know so many blokes who have been, or still are driven in life by a belief they won't outlive their father. My own father lived to a reasonable age but that's never seemed like a benchmark for me. His father died in Brighton General after his ship was torpedoed in WW2 and then it's all a bit murky so maybe not having a wider sample on the paternal side precludes me from feeling that way? On the maternal side the sample of male lifespans I know of is disrupted by the skewing effects of wartime gas and the coal dust from mining so other than the women tending to outlive the men by some distance I've got no real sense of the longevity. It never ceases to fascinate me the things that influence and drive how we see the world and respond to it. Thank you for sharing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The guys a f*****g fruit loop, too much weed has consequences.

I think the authorities need tipping off when this loon arrives on these shores!!

Possibly, but his Horse Economy theory certainly has merit.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I’ve boxed a midget (and thankfully won though I wonder if you weren’t supposed to) so if you ever want to fully experience your one you said never will, head out this way and I’ll hook you up. I know a place and a guy. We could also organise just a slap for price of a pint I’m sure! Just whatever you do don’t kill them in the ring to complete the other one you mention!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here