Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...the person who told me it also brought to market stuff like the Cloud and many other new technology.

well that tells a tale: "the cloud" is just a marketing pitch for repackaging services based on technology thats been around a decade.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When I had a similar experience about my phone line I ended up shouting at them to pass me to a British call centre - after a few minutes they got the message and transferred me. The problem was solved within 15 minutes once my call reached these shores !

This is the answer you can request to be transferred to a UK call centre... The problem is nobody complains about the poor service given by the offshore teams so BT don't think there are any issues

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
With respect, it's new technology so would be different, wouldn't it. I'm not asking you to believe it or even entertain the thought of it. I am telling you what I was told and I happen to believe it as the person who told me it also brought to market stuff like the Cloud and many other new technology. In fact just the other day he was showing me protytypes of organic display screens, rizla thin they were and cheap as chips. Youc an hand them out as flyers for advertising, amongst many other applications, watch them and throw them away. I respect the bloke as he is a field leader in what he does. As I said believe it or don't believe it, it changes not a thing.

New technology isn't going to suddenly mean all the big customers (there's maybe 100 customers who provide 95%+ of BT's revenues) will ditch their existing infrastructure and move to wireless. Part of the reason companies keep leased lines is that they are (reasonably) secure. Moving to wireless is simply too risky.
There's also the capacity issue. Once you start hanging a lot of customers off a cell site, you start to eat up three available bandwidth and end up having to keep upgrading; it's much cheaper to do this centrally.
Anyway, good luck to your friend, but I'll not worry too much about my pension going west.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
New technology isn't going to suddenly mean all the big customers (there's maybe 100 customers who provide 95%+ of BT's revenues) will ditch their existing infrastructure and move to wireless. Part of the reason companies keep leased lines is that they are (reasonably) secure. Moving to wireless is simply too risky.
There's also the capacity issue. Once you start hanging a lot of customers off a cell site, you start to eat up three available bandwidth and end up having to keep upgrading; it's much cheaper to do this centrally.
Anyway, good luck to your friend, but I'll not worry too much about my pension going west.

No, no, you're quite right, technology won't advance one iota, BT will stay top dog for etrnity, just like Sony has.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
well that tells a tale: "the cloud" is just a marketing pitch for repackaging services based on technology thats been around a decade.

And no-one is saying it is anything else. It's a marketing pitch that's worked very well. What did you think I meant when I said his job is bringing technology to market? Anyway, time will tell.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011

You have more to worry about with all the money they are spunking on bt sport, im not sure what they are going to do that's so different from others that have failed, espn failed even with all the backing they have and had less than a 1 million paying subscribers.BT have even taken 10-year lease to be the broadcast centre’s main Olympic site tenant, **** know how much that cost.What miffs them is others have taken business from them with the triple play, what they don't get is the horse has bolted, they have now spent over a billion on sporting rights and right now they only have approx 750,000 subscribers to bt vision, it's going to end in tears.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You have more to worry about with all the money they are spunking on bt sport, im not sure what they are going to do that's so different from others that have failed, espn failed even with all the backing they have and had less than a 1 million paying subscribers.BT have even taken 10-year lease to be the broadcast centre’s main Olympic site tenant, **** know how much that cost.What miffs them is others have taken business from them with the triple play, what they don't get is the horse has bolted, they have now spent over a billion on sporting rights and right now they only have approx 750,000 subscribers to bt vision, it's going to end in tears.

BT were not allowed to enter the market until recently so all the others had the lions share ... Maybe Sky should let other providers use there dishes and signals .... Nothing like knocking a british company ...

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
BT were not allowed to enter the market until recently so all the others had the lions share ... Maybe Sky should let other providers use there dishes and signals .... Nothing like knocking a british company ...

They are entering a market dominated by the product of the Thatcher era spending a huge amount of shareholders money on battle they will lose, money that could be better spent. Still i guess with Jake Humphrey fronting the prem league coverage for them that is really going to pull in the punters.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

I do worry about that, far more than Nibble's visionary genius.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
BT currently own the "the last mile" meaning all cabled services pay them to use their cabling. BT had the cable industry sewn up for about 20 years. Wireless is fast becoming king and next year when most services will go wireless BT will be on their arse as their revenue will be slashed by about 70 %. They will be a piece of irrelevant history within 18 months. Remind them of this whenever they get shitty with you .

Openreach cover everything including the exchange. BT are a service provider just like Sky etc. The exchange is an MDF (main distribution frame) Openreach own and maintain right through the network and up to the main socket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here