Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT- Ultimatum

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
That is exactly the point. If you use a MAC code when you go to another ISP, you are still using BT's line, and therefore they get a cut of the line fee. When you go to Virgin, you don't use BT's line, therefore they don't make any money out of the deal and charge you the £30 :down:

I'm sure there's something in European Competition Law which would prevent that, I'd love to know how its worded in the agreement.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
As if by magic :smile:

BT's BB T&C's...

When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.

D

Deleted member 18477

Haha leave BT and your still have the same broken phoneline no matter what service provider you join as they all rent the lines from Openreach. They all have Indian customer service centres btw. Skys customer service is f***ing shite! Save yourself some hassle and stay with BT or you may find yourself waiting a few weeks for an Install for a different service provider.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I left BT a few months ago and moved to Sky - for a few reasons but mainly because their customer service is terrible.

Dont care how many ads they put out on TV from now on, or how good their offers are, i will never return to them because once they have you signed up they really couldnt care less about the service they provide.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
As if by magic :smile:

BT's BB T&C's...

When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.

I'd be tempted to call them on that, via Ofcom perhaps.

Their charges MUST be based on their own costs, and the cost to them of you ceasing the service completely once the contract period has ended (and they recover their costs during this period, which is why there are penalties for ceasing early) is zilch.

The rapscallions. Another reason to feck them off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
30 odd years ago I used to ask customers if it was raining in Salisbury or Winchester as the crackling on the lines instantly told me the cables were a bit soggy.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Unsurprisingly nothing was heard from BT by 1600...looks like Virgin have just gained a customer without even trying, mainly because their service doesn't go anywhere near BT infrastructure, or so I am led to believe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd be tempted to call them on that, via Ofcom perhaps.

Their charges MUST be based on their own costs, and the cost to them of you ceasing the service completely once the contract period has ended (and they recover their costs during this period, which is why there are penalties for ceasing early) is zilch.

The rapscallions. Another reason to feck them off.

They'd prob get round it by saying Openreach charge them to unjumper the line at the exchange

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I work for the aforementioned company, the crackle you have is a HR earth and the line will 99% of the time test-ok. sadly the offshore advisors work to a hymn sheet and if you detour of it ( ask a question that is not the norm )you could be on the line for ages. Just so your not to bias the other mentioned company do use our engineers. If you need to step it up when making a call ask to speak to the team leader, then the manager if you are still not happy ..... hope this helps

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a major Virgin Media SPACK-up about 6 weeks ago with my broadband when I was getting about 1.5m of an evening, IF I was lucky. A new modem, new wireless router and an engineer visit ("its the infrastructure here, too many subscribers, can't cope") didn't snort it so I was actively shopping around to cancel and switch. Following the call centre "experience" I received a customer satisfaction email which I verbally SHAT all over, smeared it all up the walls and everything, saying I'm about to cancel their TOILET service for good, and the phone, amongst other things.

Mysteriously, and without another call being made, I suddenly got a greasy 9.5m from them for the last month, so I'm still with Virgin. Everything streams like a peach, which is all I wanted (I don't bother much with big downloads etc). Not counting chickens, but if it stays this quick, I'll stick with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here