Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity/Openreach in Central Brighton

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They don't change the cabinet, they install an additional one.
Yep, I didn't mean to suggest the old one would go.

It's not always next to the existing cab. Mine, for example, is about 30 yards up the road. Have a look for another green box, about a metre high, dark green and there will be ventilation slots.
Mmm, I don't think it's there yet - I've been looking for months, but I'll go and check nearby. I'd be amazed if it's in somewhere, as it's obvious where it should go (our road is a no through road, and there's space for cabinets there, and already a couple of other boxes). Still shows up on the BT page as unavailable (our phone number and postcode, and we're not that far from the old box).

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, depending on what it is there maybe some fibre connectors or ports on it which would emphasise the point. That said, some broadband providers don't even give Call centre agents e-mail access (Security risk if they have access to names and addresses and can e-mail these out if they desire) so even that is not as straightforward as you would think.

i dont think i was being very clear to be honest. it just looks like a phone point you would normally connect your router to, but it says openreach business on it, thats it. i was just intrigued it said openreach on it, never seen that before.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to check for me, much appreciated. But... I think you work system must be knackered? We still have the old cabinet at the top of the road, a new one hasn't been put in yet. And the online checks say I'm cabinet 36 (which I think was confirmed), and that hasn't been changed yet. What do you think it causing the discrepancy between what you're seeing, and what I'm seeing?

Could be a number of things. BT O/Rs system and our system and the resellers can say 3 different things for an individual line (I stress for no more than 1% of customers) but it does happen. Secondly, its possible albeit unlikely that your post code could be served by 2 different cabs and the random address I picked is fibre ready. Most likely, our resellers website is wrong. You could always raise an order and see what happens.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Secondly, its possible albeit unlikely that your post code could be served by 2 different cabs and the random address I picked is fibre ready.
I can pm you my address, but I'm not sure that'd help.
Most likely, our resellers website is wrong. You could always raise an order and see what happens.
I can't even raise an order with BT - I type my postcode and phone number, it does its checks, and says no, not available.

I'd just like to put in a good word for one part of the BT empire and a poor word for BT Openreach.

Since Christmas, Bracknell Towers has been afflicted by an appalling broadband service (almost impossible to get a connection at most times, and totally impossible at other times). And the phone line has been delivering a crackling noise that makes any sort of conversation extremely difficult. Up the road, at least four trees have been blown down and are (still) resting on top of the overhead phone line between our local exchange and the house.

A call to the BT telephone fault line produced a visit from BT Openreach and the quick replacement of the line box, with the promise that "everything should now be OK". It wasn't. So we bought a new phone (maybe that was what was wrong) and replaced the router (ditto). Still no improvement. And no reliable broadband.

Next step was a phone call to BT Business Broadband, who supply our service. And what an excellent response! Their man came out today (Thursday) and checked everything out. Nothing wrong indoors. But a climb up the telegraph pole outside (why didn't BT Openreach think of that?) revealed a dodgy connection, which was quickly fixed. And then the man went up to the exchange, to take a look at things there. He swapped over the line that serves our house and connected it to a new connection. Result - an excellent phone connection (no noise on the line) and a restored broadband service delivering faster speeds than we've ever experienced. All in all ... a brilliant service.

My guess is that none of this would have been possible if our internet provider hadn't sent us an engineer with BT telephony skills. An excellent service from BT Business Broadband, but a lousy one from BT Openreach.

The prospects of fibre optics ever reaching us? Close to zero, I reckon. It's a price we pay for living in deep rural bliss (or isolation, if you prefer).

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The prospects of fibre optics ever reaching us? Close to zero, I reckon. It's a price we pay for living in deep rural bliss (or isolation, if you prefer).

You're in Ripe, aren't you ? I presume you have registered at http://www.goesussex.co.uk/ (although I imagine Ripe exchange will be waaaayyyyy down the list, given the population density.)

You're in Ripe, aren't you ? I presume you have registered at http://www.goesussex.co.uk/ (although I imagine Ripe exchange will be waaaayyyyy down the list, given the population density.)
Indeed. And Bracknell Towers is at the extreme boundary of the Ripe exchange area. When it first arrived, we only got basic broadband because a friendly BT engineer was willing to disconnect another customer somewhere else on the exchange. "I'll have to get the office to fake me a job number" was his approach to the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here