Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brutal assessment of Arsenal from The Guardian

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Seems a completely over the top reaction to me.

They've had a slow start but thats A home win to Palace, draws at Everton and Leicester, A draw to last seasons champions, a draw away in Besiktas, home win against Besiktas.

To me those are all quite good results in their own right. When you look at the points they have it looks worse than the performances have actually been.

The Dortmund game WAS woeful however.

Sanchez was brought in to help/contribute to the scoring of goals and has 3 already. Wilshire did more in the Man City game than in the last 2 seasons combined. Welbeck should work well in that team.

To me it's far too early to make any form of judgement, especially on the back of a defeat to an excellent Dortmund team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Arsenal's problems ...

What problems? The club has a target of a top four finish, stay financially sound and maybe pick up a cup.

Last season it was top four (again), has loads of money in the bank and won the FA Cup. There are plenty of clubs with problems in English football, but Arsenal isn't one of them

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What problems? The club has a target of a top four finish, stay financially sound and maybe pick up a cup.

Last season it was top four (again), has loads of money in the bank and won the FA Cup. There are plenty of clubs with problems in English football, but Arsenal isn't one of them

Got to agree with you completely on this. If this is the benchmark for Premiership club critiques then God help Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle, Fulham, West Ham....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Arsenal's problems were, in a way, similar to ours (don't laugh) for a long time in that they couldn't compete with the big spenders. In their case it was paying off the stadium, in ours FFP. They now have tons of money, but Wenger has forgotten how to spend it properly. [...]
They didn't need Ozil, Sanchez or Welbeck - they needed to find someone even half as good as the player they have never replaced - Patrick Vieira.

in a nutshell, or two. and its been like this for a few years. they have ridiculous wealth of talent in midfield, but not enough balance in defense. i never understood why he didnt snap up Barry a few years ago, or for that matter again last year. people may say he's not mobile, but he has a shed load more positional awareness than Arteta or the other makeshift players his put in to cover the defense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here