Brussels Airport Terrorist attack

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In your opinion.

As far as I am concerned if national security is a reason Cameron uses to hector people to stay in, then events like today only serve to demonstrate that it is an empty promise.

If you think that EU expansionism to the borders of Syria, Iraq and Iran would have no bearing on our national security then personally you are deluded.

That does not even recognise the possible threats by opening up free movement to Turkey before it is formally accepted in the club.

I also understand that the metro bombed today is one of 2 used to access the EU quarter.............on plenty of measures this attack has lots to do with the EU.

You are twisting the story to your own agenda. That is typical of the EU debate. Were terrorists targeting the EU? Possibly. Does membership of the EU make us a terrorist target? Possibly. Is membership of the EU and access to shared security going to make us safer? Possibly. Would London still be a target outside the EU? Possibly.

Possibly.

But you dress it up as definitely.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In the decade between 1988 to 1998 the Northern Ireland troubles took 700 lives through terrorist activity in the UK and Ireland. Going back to July 2005, through to today's awful atrocity, we have seen 289 deaths across the whole of Europe associated with muslim extremism. This isn't justification for either, but it is perspective regarding threat and response.

There is an existing muslim population in Europe of some 44m muslims, plus 1m migrants or whatever that estimate is. If there was some massive Islamist plot, logic would tell you that with 44m in Europe, we would be facing far greater consequences than those we have seen. Clearly security needs to be a priority, however our way of life, the protection of our freedoms, the political future of the country should not be dictated through fear and paranoia.

Troubled times are ahead there is no hiding from that or the devastating loss of life, however cutting ourselves off from Europe won't help fight terrorists (regardless of our EU status). What Paris and Brussels has shown us (as did 9/11 to the US) that if you do not have joined up security, sharing of information, bilateral cooperation, it makes it so much harder to track and identify these threats.

Europe needs to unite at this point (again regardless of EU membership), not in any persecution of migrants or religion, but in preventing terrorism wherever that may emerge from, not forgetting one of the worst recent terrorist atrocities in Europe was a white Norwegian.

I needed to read that to give me some hope after yet another incredibly depressing horrific day. Fingers crossed your analysis is correct.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are twisting the story to your own agenda. That is typical of the EU debate. Were terrorists targeting the EU? Possibly. Does membership of the EU make us a terrorist target? Possibly. Is membership of the EU and access to shared security going to make us safer? Possibly. Would London still be a target outside the EU? Possibly.

Possibly.

But you dress it up as definitely.

We would still be a target as members of NATO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Americans have got their wish. They wanted a destabalised Middle East and a public who are easy to scare. This will surely lead to more knee jerk attacks in the Middle East which will keep their arms industry growing nicely.

I cannot think of a time in history when the Middle East was stable.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
So, let me get this right........you want to act as the ultimate arbiter of what people can post on threads, and yet you DONT have an agenda.

You are unbezahlbar.

Spot on. He has his agenda. If a post is against it he gets on his moral high horse. As per usual.

Deep respect for those that died and were badly injured today. My heart goes out to you all.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
you are doing a disservice to the anti-EU campaign. this incident has nothing to do with the EU, security is not impacted positively or negatively by us being in it, using security in the EU debate is to use fear. not being part of Schegen does provide us some security benefits. leave it at that.

But,we're constantly being told our security is at risk if we leave the EU .

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
In the decade between 1988 to 1998 the Northern Ireland troubles took 700 lives through terrorist activity in the UK and Ireland. Going back to July 2005, through to today's awful atrocity, we have seen 289 deaths across the whole of Europe associated with muslim extremism. This isn't justification for either, but it is perspective regarding threat and response.

There is an existing muslim population in Europe of some 44m muslims, plus 1m migrants or whatever that estimate is. If there was some massive Islamist plot, logic would tell you that with 44m in Europe, we would be facing far greater consequences than those we have seen. Clearly security needs to be a priority, however our way of life, the protection of our freedoms, the political future of the country should not be dictated through fear and paranoia.

Troubled times are ahead there is no hiding from that or the devastating loss of life, however cutting ourselves off from Europe won't help fight terrorists (regardless of our EU status). What Paris and Brussels has shown us (as did 9/11 to the US) that if you do not have joined up security, sharing of information, bilateral cooperation, it makes it so much harder to track and identify these threats.

Europe needs to unite at this point (again regardless of EU membership), not in any persecution of migrants or religion, but in preventing terrorism wherever that may emerge from, not forgetting one of the worst recent terrorist atrocities in Europe was a white Norwegian.

Wow perspective.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I needed to read that to give me some hope after yet another incredibly depressing horrific day. Fingers crossed your analysis is correct.

I wouldn't hold your breath mate

comparing Islamic terrorists to the IRA is like comparing chalk & cheese

the IRA wanted a united Ireland

the Islamic terrorists want to change your whole way of life

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I cannot think of a time in history when the Middle East was stable.

Sorry for the facetious comment, but... Do you know much about the history of that area? I mean wouldn't you have had to study it? Fairly sure it's not in any mainstream school syllabus...

The reason i point this out, is the only events you will have heard will have been about troubles. Is Northern Ireland in the news much now?

Apologies if you realise this and the post was meant to push an agenda.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Random question. The last one was 11 years ago.

well there was one in Brussels today and Paris just a few months ago

I see you convienantly forget all the Brits that were slaughtered on a beach in Tunisia also

They want us dead mate, all of us including children.

The only change they want is us not living.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Every time the subject of terrorism and bombing comes up we have to include and bring up the IRA. As you state the IRA wanted a united Ireland, they bombed in their own country and they bombed on the British mainland, they did not bomb in different countries/cities in Europe. Who knows which country/city will be targeted next by the Islamic terrorists who as you say "want to change your whole way of life".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports