Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno....

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe but not as good doing his major job of defending as he is at getting forward to support the front men.

Nonsense. His first touch is sublime. He reads the game brilliantly and someone at that age playing as many games a season is excellent. Defensively he does an excellent job although I did hold my head in my hands when I saw last nights mistake.

Last nights mistake was partly down to the fact he wanted to keep the ball and try hit them on the break. His team mates weren't on his wavelength but a mistake is a mistake and he has to take responsibility for that.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would agree Bruno is not a natural defender but he has made some outstanding stops/tackles this season. The other point to make is that in the formation we have been using he should be able to 'be out of position' (up field) while the appropriate midfielder covers... This works better with some of the wingers than others...Personally I would play him more forward because he has the ability to pick out passes which no one else is doing but then who plays in the back position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nonsense. His first touch is sublime. He reads the game brilliantly and someone at that age playing as many games a season is excellent. Defensively he does an excellent job although I did hold my head in my hands when I saw last nights mistake.

Last nights mistake was partly down to the fact he wanted to keep the ball and try hit them on the break. His team mates weren't on his wavelength but a mistake is a mistake and he has to take responsibility for that.

I think that recently he has stood off of his attackers too much thus allowing them time and room to control and deal with the ball. I have put this down to his age and the fact he doesnt want to get caught on a straight one for one sprint down the outside of him with a younger winger.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think that recently he has stood off of his attackers too much thus allowing them time and room to control and deal with the ball. I have put this down to his age and the fact he doesnt want to get caught on a straight one for one sprint down the outside of him with a younger winger.

I certainly think that defensively he struggled last season but cant agree with that analysis this season. He has been much better this year in my opinion. The Boro opener was as you describe but I think that was VLP who didn't close down quick enough.. Any full back is concerned at facing a winger one on one, regardless of age/speed. Bridge, Ward, were hardly known for their pace.. For me Bruno has been the most consistent player of the season by far.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

That was against Charlton I think.............Bruno did absolutely the right thing there. He pushed the lad wide and gave him a really really difficult almost impossible angle to score from. No one could have foreseen the young lad blast it into the roof of the net from that angle past Stockdale.

Bruno is much slower these days but he compensates for that with his knowledge and good reading of situations.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Leaving the game last night I overheard 2 Rotherham fans singing his praises and saying what a skillful player he is.

I also heard an older Rotherham fan saying he had no idea where Brighton is and his mate said,"I think its just straight down from London". ???:)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The discussion over Bruno's defensive ability is the same discussion people have always had over attacking full backs - even the great ones like Dani Alves. Hence to discuss his defensive abilities properly, you need to discuss the balancing act that his role requires.

The fact is that you could ask someone like Calderon to come in at right back, sit deep and narrow next to Greer, to lump the ball forward at every opportunity, and many fans would be happy with that as they're the type of fans that feel a defender's role is to defend first and foremost, and the attacking stuff doesn't matter. Hell, Bruno could no doubt do that effectively if that was the role he was given.

But it isn't... He's an attacking full back that at times has been running the right hand side on his own this season, sometimes with little protection, so it's no surprise that at times he backs off attackers to allow either the centre back next to him or the winger in front of him time to come and support him in closing wingers down.

In the context of the role he has in the side, and the balance and quality he brings to the team, I think we're lucky to have him.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bruno looks to be getting back to his best.

He turns 36 this October, but he doesn't show it. How much longer can he keep going?

Ryan Giggs played on in the Premier League until he was 40, hopefully Bruno can do the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here