Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno

Jimmy Grimble

We were speaking with them both, individually, and asked the question. Buckley very much nailing himself on for the Blackpool game, desperate to get back in the side, Lua Lua said that's when he expects to be ready.

Thanks for relaying. Slightly at odds with what Gus has said (or is quoted as saying in the Argus). Maybe mind games?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks for relaying. Slightly at odds with what Gus has said (or is quoted as saying in the Argus). Maybe mind games?

Gus had an interesting take on the press last night too. He said, along the lines of,

"why would we ever tell the press who is injured, and who is not, and when they are going to be fit, we would be mad to do that".

He said he really disliked Thursday & Friday press briefings because of the ridiculous questions they got asked, and that the press honestly expected them to answer questions about injurues, tactics etc. Read into that that, and what is reported in the press, what you will.

Jimmy Grimble

Gus had an interesting take on the press last night too. He said, along the lines of,

"why would we ever tell the press who is injured, and who is not, and when they are going to be fit, we would be mad to do that".

He said he really disliked Thursday & Friday press briefings because of the ridiculous questions they got asked, and that the press honestly expected them to answer questions about injurues, tactics etc. Read into that that, and what is reported in the press, what you will.

Thanks again. Suspected Gus has always been a bit cautious with what he tells the press with injuries, etc, but still really interesting.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
His dip in form seemed to coincide with the weather getting hellishly cold. Probably to be expected as this is his first time playing outside of Spain.

I think his confidence got shattered at Palace to be honest, he had a stinker.

Undoubtedly a very good player, better than most I'd say but that really seemed to shake him.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Fantastic going forward, and as others have said, could well cover a winger if needed. I do have doubts about him defensively though, not good at tracking back and often found out of position. Feel more comfortable with Calderon defending than Bruno to be honest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Always mind games with Gus. Whenever he reports a player is ready to come back, they don't.

Ah :) Quite right too. The opposition need to make plans based on what team they're facing, so why tell them the team in advance :shrug:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
His dip in form seemed to coincide with the weather getting hellishly cold. Probably to be expected as this is his first time playing outside of Spain.

Isnt this just a tired old stereotype? I am sure cold weather has nothing to do with a Spanish players form. I suppose the Icelandic kid in the DS will be shit in august?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Start of season Bruno is one of the highlights of the entire season.
His dip in form has to be down to his injuries, we're very fortunate to have Calde as backup.

Although I'm still not convinced Bruno & Buckley are as good as Calde & Buckley, even though B&B are individually better.

Talking of Calde did anyone see him get slated on Late Kick-Off, for not getting tight enough.
But failing to mention when our move broke down, he was furthest up field, in the penalty area.

I definetely agree about Calderon being better with Buckley. When Bruno plays with him they seem to play some incredibly stupid training ground game where they can only pass to each other in ever more complicated ways.

I think if Bruno get's fit, play him on the right of midfield if Buckley and LuaLua are out or alongside Bridcutt.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
At the start of the season along with Liam and Tomasz, I thought he was one of our best players and oozed class at times and was often my man of the match. His form dipped and now of course he's recovering from another injury. Do you think his niggling injuries were the cause for his dip or is he just inconsistent. Just been thinking about it recently. I rate Calde as well, but miss Bruno's start of the season form and would welcome that back, as he gave a lovely attacking option down the right and would boost our playoff push if fit. Thoughts????

I think he has been nit-picked a lot and seems to be highlighted for every mistake he makes. The problem is because he is a full back he cant afford to make these mistakes which is mainly giving the ball away in danger areas. Calde v Bruno is a difficult one because I think Bruno is a much better attacking full back than Calde but Calde is defo more solid in defence. Im happy with either of them in there. It also depends who is playing right mid or wide right etc as well

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Isnt this just a tired old stereotype? I am sure cold weather has nothing to do with a Spanish players form. I suppose the Icelandic kid in the DS will be shit in august?

I'm only gahn on his own words in the Argus a while back.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If he was our best player every game he'd be in the Prem. Lets be pleased with the great performances and the average ones and hope he gets fit again soon. Lopez and Calde are also great RBs so we're stacked at a vital position in Gus' system :thumbsup:

Let's now sort out LB properly this offseason!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Fantastic going forward, and as others have said, could well cover a winger if needed. I do have doubts about him defensively though, not good at tracking back and often found out of position. Feel more comfortable with Calderon defending than Bruno to be honest.

I don't necessarily agree as whilst Calde like Bruno is good going forward, I think that Calde is even slower than Bruno in getting back which has left us more than a bit exposed on more than a few occasions.

Both have good points defensively but Bruno is probably better with his defensive headers.

Frankly I have concerns with both as I personally feel that a full back should be primarily that and I don't feel that our centre backs are able to cover for them in their 'wing' back role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here