Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno and Clade both staying...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed, I'd like Ulloa to stay but if his head has been turned by all the transfer talk, then let him go for the right price. We need everyone pulling in the same direction.

But if that player is successful at his new club then our manager gets the blame for letting him go.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I hope Leo stays with us - but is there a 'buy out' clause in Ulloa's contract? - if so we may not be able to stand in his way. I hope the Albion set it at a very decent figure so at least we may cash in, should the clause be triggered.

The unfortunate thing about the close season is that the Club is now least able to prevent any naughty whispers in a player's ear or worse still that of his agent. Doesn't help that lots of players, their agents and representatives from many clubs have gathered for the World Cup with plenty of opportunities for casual 'meetings' between watching games.

You hope that a player would honour his contract but if PL football, PL wages and a tasty signing on fee are on offer to both you and your agent then it must be difficult to resist. Especially while the parent Club is recovering from the loss of another manager and you may have questions whether you would be part of a competitive squad next season.

12 months ago Bridcutt was the subject of similar speculation and ultimately it seemed that his head had been turned. I hope Hyypia has already been in touch with key players and told them they are a part of his plans and wants to see what they can do under his regime, so they feel the love for the Albion and not just their wallets.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I absolutely don't want Leo to be sold, but if he is, please let the fee be 'spectacular'.

No derisory deals please.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But if that player is successful at his new club then our manager gets the blame for letting him go.

But a player who wants to go is a liability. I suppose it really all depends on the individual player. Some will get on with it and give 100% and some will sulk and be a shadow of themselves......and before I get slated for talking about foreign player mentality, there is enough evidence to suggest the last thing you want at any club is a stroppy sulky South American.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well if we don't need to sell and he starts being 'difficult', let him rot in the reserves and look for a seller next year.

At £5 million less. Er, no. Let's not do that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
At £5 million less. Er, no. Let's not do that.

Not with a year to go. Generally prices only drop in the last 6 months. (My understanding is that he has 2 years left).

So you'd sell him then and worry about it later?

We don't need to sell, so it certainly would not hurt to leave him out, if he is difficult.

Last edited:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Not with a year to go. Generally prices only drop in the last 6 months. (My understanding is that he has 2 years left).

We don't need to sell, so it certainly would not hurt to leave him out, if he is difficult.

so you wouldn't sell him, but you wouldn't play him.... Logic behind that ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
so you wouldn't sell him, but you wouldn't play him.... Logic behind that ?

For me it's about making a statement and sending a message to players and agents alike.

If we cave in every time a player wants his own way, then the contract is worth nothing. If they are not playing, they are not getting their win bonuses, and whilst we are likely to get a lower fee, that is a lower signing on fee for the player and less commission for the agent.

Based on that they would hopefully get the message not to rock the boat, probably too simplistic, but we have to try, as contracts have no future as we stand currently.

Stumpy Tim

For me it's about making a statement and sending a message to players and agents alike.

If we cave in every time a player wants his own way, then the contract is worth nothing. If they are not playing, they are not getting their win bonuses, and whilst we are likely to get a lower fee, that is a lower signing on fee for the player and less commission for the agent.

Based on that they would hopefully get the message not to rock the boat, probably too simplistic, but we have to try, as contracts have no future as we stand currently.
So we lose our best striker and we don't get money for a replacement. That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard on NSC

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well if you read it I've not said he's going for nothing. If we don't need to sell, that would indicate we have money to buy.

Would you rather sign another player and then when another team come in, have them say "despite signing a 3 year deal, I want to leave"? Club say "no", player starts sulking, vicious circle.

At some point we need to show we are not an easy touch.

Edit: would you take the money then?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

If you're talking Ulloa, he signed for four years in Jan 13, so he's got two-and-a-half years left.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

sorry, but very simplistic, if his head's been turned, get rid for a fair price, job done. It's a business.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
sorry, but very simplistic, if his head's been turned, get rid for a fair price, job done. It's a business.

But what happens when the next player does it?

I do take your point but it hacks me off, that players can play this game.

How much would you take?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
But what happens when the next player does it?

I do take your point but it hacks me off, that players can play this game.

How much would you take?

we have so rarely been in this position since the inception of the EPL and surely you're not naive enough to realise the effect of player power. I'd take 8 million like a shot.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
we have so rarely been in this position since the inception of the EPL and surely you're not naive enough to realise the effect of player power. I'd take 8 million like a shot.

I'm not, but we still need to send a message out, as this will not stop. £8m is probably about right, but given the difficulty of replacing him we will need nearer £10m, that is assuming we don't lose some of it to FFP targets.

Barber has stated we do not need to sell, so it may be a silly amount.

As I stated above I'd rather him stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here