Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno 200

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Where would you old timers (I’m a 2003 JLC and proud) say he stands compared to other Albion greats?

Almost irrespective of his ability, the very fact that he was captain of the side that eventually gained promotion to the Premier League, will make his name live on in memory for a very long time to come.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think I saw CH saying that he's one of the players who has benefited from playing in the Prem because his game suits it more. Hard to argue with that.

He's not one of the best ever but he's carved into the story for a few obvious reasons.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Probably not a 'great' but certainly a name that will be remembered with affection when his time comes. 100% solid and committed, if not spectacular, player.

Not Spectacular! I have to differ, He is one of the most talented players in our best squad in 30+ years.

No he isnt going to capture the imagination like Knockers would. But that bloke has some serious talent.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Probably not a 'great' but certainly a name that will be remembered with affection when his time comes. 100% solid and committed, if not spectacular, player.
"Probably not a great" !!!!!!!! Just not true. He is right up there. Can't think of a better right back playing in the blue and white stripes and I've been watching the boys for 67 years

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

In the 35 years I've been supporting, I can't remember a better right back for the club. 'Spectacular' is most definitely a word I WOULD associate with him as well as a 'great'. He will be sorely missed both on and off the pitch when he decides to hang up his boots.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not spectacular?

I'm not sure I can recall any other Albion player, with the exception of Vicente, who is as skilful as Bruno. His technical footballing ability is outstanding, and is coupled with a fantastic football brain. The fact that he's also a bloody decent chap is ridiculously unfair on us mere mortals not blessed with his sublime talents.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not spectacular?

I'm not sure I can recall any other Albion player, with the exception of Vicente, who is as skilful as Bruno. His technical footballing ability is outstanding, and coupled with a fantastic football brain. The fact that he's also a bloody decent chap is ridiculously unfair on us mere mortals not blessed with his sublime talents.

It's just the Spanish mentality of football!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

As others have already mentioned dismissing his 'greatness' on the basis of Bruno not being spectacular is dodgy at best, but also he was club captain on getting promoted to the top division for the first time in donkey's years.

Even if you ignore how spectacular he is and any regard to ability (of which he has in abundance) just that fact alone places him into the list of great names?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The model professional, we can all learn from Bruno. How much longer can he play at this level?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As others have already mentioned dismissing his 'greatness' on the basis of Bruno not being spectacular is dodgy at best, but also he was club captain on getting promoted to the top division for the first time in donkey's years.

Even if you ignore how spectacular he is and any regard to ability (of which he has in abundance) just that fact alone places him into the list of great names?

Don't doubt his ability. Comforting name to see on the team sheet. Never knocked him, not once. All round 'good egg'.

If I selected my squad of the last 50 years I just don't think he'd quite make the cut. I guess the squad would be my version of the 'greats' (If we're talking solely footballing merits). My view might change as the season goes on.

He's a name that will always be remembered though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not spectacular?

I'm not sure I can recall any other Albion player, with the exception of Vicente, who is as skilful as Bruno. His technical footballing ability is outstanding, and is coupled with a fantastic football brain. The fact that he's also a bloody decent chap is ridiculously unfair on us mere mortals not blessed with his sublime talents.

All that.

But, for me the 'greats' (as opposed to 'legends') are those who make our all time personal squad (in our Albion years). Has there ever been a poll ? We should do one.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I remember seeing his unofficial debut for us in a friendly at the Amex against Reading (Kuipers testimonial I believe). Even though I was absolutely TROLLIED in the 1901 that night, I can still recall thinking that he looked like a total FLAIRNIAC with his buccaneering overlap raids down the wing. Loved him from the first time I saw him.

He's been immense for us. I just wish he was 5 years younger.

I was at that game and possibly more trollied as I don't recall Bruno at all. Had great view of Kuipers final save for the club though.
Anyhow I'm rambling because really I'm replying to hijack this thread for my ambition to see the reinstatement of the Spicy Dutch Meatball Pie!
Drool...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here