Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britons warned get out of Tunisia,ASAP.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tunisia is a prime target for ISIL because it has embraced democracy. I would be tempted to get a multinational force of UN troops in on the ground there to protect it, and put Tunisia on lockdown while we can and before it is too late to do so.

The downside would be that it would draw ISIL in for a fight, the upside would be making them an easier target as they concentrate their forces around Tunisia, and also giving them one too many front to fight on.

It would be the option I would take. Not just because they've provoked us into it by attacking our tourists on a beach but because it's about time we got involved in this fight.

Maybe, but surely it has been stated that more recruits for ISIS have come from Tunisia than anywhere else, that was prior to the Tunisia killings at Sousse. That would suggest that it might not be just one feckless thug and that other sympathisers are around. Better to be safe than sorry.
A report a couple of days ago showed the Chinese flag and a few Chinese harassed in Turkey after Ramadan was denounced in China.
Personally i would steer well clear of these countries including Egypt.

Tunisia is a prime hunting ground for them, and you're right to say it was before the attacks as well. The feckless thug who acted this out was clearly under orders and there will doubtless be others. And other countries, I'd be getting out of any Muslim countries at this point if I were that way inclined.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It isn't hindsight this was predicted by many. Don't forget that Bush and Blair went to war illegally against world wide objections, which is a great advert for democracy. You know, practice what you preach :shrug:

I do love the idea that war can be legalised :lol:, war is war, it aint pretty and it sometimes happens, and in a serious war they ain't no rules either. We need to fight fire with fire.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I do love the idea that war can be legalised :lol:, war is war, it aint pretty and it sometimes happens, and in a serious war they ain't no rules either. We need to fight fire with fire.

The invasion of Iraq was either a monumental error of judgement (Bush and Blair gambled they would find something) or they knowingly lied about the reasons for invading. Either way that action now looks so crude and unintelligent looking at how things are today. War isn't pretty but the Bush/Blair invasion went beyond that.

I have a feeling that this is a bit of subterfuge on the part of the Intelligence services.

It crossed my mind this morning that as Tunisia is fairly dependent on Tourism it puts the onus squarely on the shoulders of the people to expose the terrorists quickly.

Although this could just be my mind being a bit cynical.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tremendously sad for all the decent Muslims living in Tunisia, the vast majority. Many of the brave Muslims put their lives on the line against the Gunman. Their Tourism Industry will be decimated for many years to come with resulting job loss and increased poverty. Such a terrible state of affairs

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

2004: The United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has told the BBC the US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that contravened the UN charter.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3661134.stm

February 2011: Tony Blair has told the Chilcot Inquiry that said he disregarded his top legal adviser's warning that attacking Iraq would be illegal without further United Nations backing because the guidance was ''provisional''.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ded-legal-advice-on-legality-of-Iraq-war.html

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Tremendously sad for all the decent Muslims living in Tunisia, the vast majority. Many of the brave Muslims put their lives on the line against the Gunman. Their Tourism Industry will be decimated for many years to come with resulting job loss and increased poverty. Such a terrible state of affairs

Absolutely- a work colleague's friend was directly caught up in this atrocity. She had gun shot wounds to her legs - a local man risking his life got her to safety and then took her directly to the hospital. He saved her life - this was one of many examples that day. I believe she is recovering well. It is acts of immense bravery and humanity like this that need to be heralded and remembered

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Absolutely- a work colleague's friend was directly caught up in this atrocity. She had gun shot wounds to her legs - a local man risking his life got her to safety and then took her directly to the hospital. He saved her life - this was one of many examples that day. I believe she is recovering well. It is acts of immense bravery and humanity like this that need to be heralded and remembered

I could not agree more

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
2004: The United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has told the BBC the US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that contravened the UN charter.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3661134.stm

February 2011: Tony Blair has told the Chilcot Inquiry that said he disregarded his top legal adviser's warning that attacking Iraq would be illegal without further United Nations backing because the guidance was ''provisional''.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ded-legal-advice-on-legality-of-Iraq-war.html

The first link is a politicians OPINION, the second one was a a provisional legal OPINION which he changed to that Lord Goldsmith presented Mr Blair with formal legal advice that a ''reasonable case'' could be made for launching an attack without further UN backing.

Its in the second link you posted which I read and you obviously haven't.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The first link is a politicians OPINION, the second one was a a provisional legal OPINION which he changed to that Lord Goldsmith presented Mr Blair with formal legal advice that a ''reasonable case'' could be made for launching an attack without further UN backing.

Its in the second link you posted which I read and you obviously haven't.

You really are a donkey aren't you? His top legal adviser warned him that attacking Iraq would be illegal without further United Nations backing, is the important part. Everything is provisional if you are the PM, it means nothing, ambiguity at its slimy best. Why do you think we have the Chilcot inquiry going on :mad:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You really are a donkey aren't you? His top legal adviser warned him that attacking Iraq would be illegal without further United Nations backing, is the important part. Everything is provisional if you are the PM, it means nothing, ambiguity at its slimy best. Why do you think we have the Chilcot inquiry going on :mad:

Are you retarded or just plain stupid? His top legal advisor warned him (opinion) it would be illeagal then changed his mind, thats the order, how difficult is it for you to follow a chain of events rather than cherry picking according to your prejudices?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Are you retarded or just plain stupid? His top legal advisor warned him (opinion) it would be illeagal then changed his mind, thats the order, how difficult is it for you to follow a chain of events rather than cherry picking according to your prejudices?

Using retard in your comment just proves the limitations of your thought process.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

To be honest all of that is irrelevant- as I posted earlier, the action of invading Iraq looks now to be very crude and unsophisticated at best and at worst a calculated gamble based on lies that has ultimately back fired.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
There's a helluva lot of information on this and it's a real mess of a job.

In a nut-shell, the UN Council can deem the invasion illegal, however in order to do so, a complaint must be made by a UN member. No complaint has been made, so no UN investigation has taken place.
With regards to Human-Rights or Domestic legalities, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I think it's best to just shake hands on the matter, mark it as a severe 'Grey Area' and move on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How could anyone pay money to sit on a beach where, viewing the TV pictures, police and ride up and down with machine guns on horseback which looks like a banana republic btw. So relaxing, it's what you want to do after saving up all year...Tunisians, what a bunch of amateurs. Be a bit more discreet! Then the tourists might come back.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
To be honest all of that is irrelevant- as I posted earlier, the action of invading Iraq looks now to be very crude and unsophisticated at best and at worst a calculated gamble based on lies that has ultimately back fired.

TBH, this theory is widely accepted and agreed on by most people (posters) whether they be perceived as left or centre or right. I think most realise that going into Iraq was wrong, however to keep blaming every killing often in countries that were not involved in the invasion of Iraq, is a bit shortsighted.
Best get the British holidaymakers out of suspected trouble spots and perhaps let the millions of moderate Muslims sort out the perceived minority of radical extremists. The peaceful surely have the money and the arms/power to defeat this small minority of murdering radicals....if they want to.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Using retard in your comment just proves the limitations of your thought process.

Whereas calling someone a donkey is OK? I bet you quickly scrambled about on google looking for a couple of links to back up your ego and didn't even bother reading them properly. You do know you are accusing British Troops of being War Criminals or doesn't that figure in your posturing?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Egypt explosion hits Italian consulate in Cairo

A large explosion has severely damaged the Italian consulate in Egypt's capital, Cairo.
The health ministry says at least one person has died. Four people were also injured, medical sources said.
The blast was caused by a car bomb, an official told the state-run news agency Mena. No group has yet said it carried out the attack.
The embassy was closed and no civilian staff members are among the injured, an embassy official told AP.

The embassy was closed at the time of the attack
Egypt's public prosecutor, Hisham Barakat, was killed last month by a car bomb attack in the city.
In the same month, another car bomb targeting a police station left three people dead.
Egyptian security forces have been battling Islamic militants, but the fighting has been mostly confined to the Sinai Peninsula.
Militants in Egypt have killed at least 600 police and armed forces personnel in the past two years.
The militants stepped up their attacks after the military overthrew Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in July 2013.

So maybe the Government were right to issue the warning, At the end of the day they had no choice, because if another attack was to take place and more British citizens were killed they would get the blame for not issuing the warning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here