Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britain's Racist Election

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the Heads Up. I forgot this was on. Shall definitely watch it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Why does it say on the sky info "a timely reminder" are we having a racist election now then? I thought European migrants were the same race as us...just cheaper.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a nice chap that British KKK man is !!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is interesting to hear references to Enoch Powell's speech these days. I have read the full transcript on a couple of occasions, with a purposefully open mind, and don't find it overly alarming in context, more a reflection of the fear of embracing a new culturally connected society (or a new plural form of monoculture). I think Powell's followers were the threat, rather than him.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He had a majority of 1,774, having increased the Tory vote by just 2.3% compared with the 1959 General Election. Patrick Gordon Walker' s vote fell by 12.1%, largely because the Liberals put up a candidate in a seat that they didn't contest in 1959. Griffiths won not because Smethwick was full of racists, but because 3,000 Liberals lived there and they turned against the sitting Labour MP.

Very much so. 9% of the Labour swing went to the Liberals.

In the 1966 election the BNP scored only 500 odd votes. Although I'm not sure of their mandate at that time.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What about Enoch Powell, did he play a part in the 1964 racism/anti-immigration with his speech or wasn't that abit later on?

He was part of the initial election steering group for the Smethwick Tory campaign. Powell was a man of many contradictions. On the one hand he was very socially liberal, on the other hand he didn't do well in dispelling his fascist label.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Labour won the 1964 election because of a massive shift of opinion against the Tories. The Tory Prime Minister, Scottish laird Alec Douglas Home was seen as a throwback to a different age. Labour was seen as the modern party, committed to what Harold Wilson called "the white heat of the technological revolution". And the Tories were also pulled down by the baggage of things like the Profumo scandal. There was plenty of racism knocking around in society at large, but it didn't taint politics to any great extent.

I can remember the line '13 years of Tory misrule' even now. Harold Wilson was seen as a man of the people rather than the 'chinless wonder'.

D

Deleted member 22389

Why does it say on the sky info "a timely reminder" are we having a racist election now then? I thought European migrants were the same race as us...just cheaper.

I didn't watch it, because thankfully we have moved on from those days. If they are trying to make comparisons as always they have got it wrong. We will never sort anything out in this country all the time we have some people in the media and some silly people who are hell-bent on making more out of things, then there really is.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

They are just reminding you all white English people are racists and that if you question in any way the policy of open door EU immigration you are most likely a nazi,by default

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just another propaganda film by C4 to try and turn voters from UKIP,yes it did happen then and it was digusting how racist Britain was...but it was over 50 years ago,times have changed...do they go on about John Stonehouse...Cyril Smith...Prufumo Scandal before the Election ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They are just reminding you all white English people are racists (Except of course, the vast majority of white English people, who are not gibbering racist twats) and that if you question in any way the policy of open door EU immigration you are most likely a nazi,by default

Edited for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here