Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britains GREATEST ever comedian

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
Tony Hancock: The Blood Donor (full episode in 3 parts).

[YT]ZLO9PXZcfQ4[/YT]

[YT]DsEbCQzPhl8[/YT]

[YT]sLiXXk9UPpk[/YT]

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure Hancock was that talented to be honest, didn't his career fall to bits when he sacked his writers ?

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
Not sure Hancock was that talented to be honest, didn't his career fall to bits when he sacked his writers ?

He wasn't as succesful after splitting with Galton and Simpson but alcoholism also affected his performances in later years.

The memory of him has certainly not faded.
In a 2002 poll, BBC radio listeners voted Hancock their favourite British comedian.

In a 2005 poll to find 'The Comedian's Comedian' Hancock was voted the twelfth greatest comedian by fellow comics and 'comedy insiders'.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He wasn't as succesful after splitting with Galton and Simpson but alcoholism also affected his performances in later years.

The memory of him has certainly not faded.
In a 2002 poll, BBC radio listeners voted Hancock their favourite British comedian.

In a 2005 poll to find 'The Comedian's Comedian' Hancock was voted the twelfth greatest comedian by fellow comics and 'comedy insiders'.

But wasn't in the same league as Eric.....

I find it hard to watch him reading the scripts off idiot boards.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
My problem with the Two Ronnies is that although they produced some very very funny material, the majority of their output was very very weak.

Ronnie Barkers finest moment was Porridge, 100 times better than anything he did in that sketch show.

The greatest comedian this country produced was Eric Morecambe, no-one comes near.

Ernie Wise came near to Eric Morecambe. They used to share a bed..........

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good shout for Max Miller there Gwylan, he was a TRUE Brighton legend unlike Norman Wisdom who changed his team every few years (he supported Arsenal and then Newcastle after he'd finished 'supporting' us).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good shout for Max Miller there Gwylan, he was a TRUE Brighton legend unlike Norman Wisdom who changed his team every few years (he supported Arsenal and then Newcastle after he'd finished 'supporting' us).

I strongly suspect that I was named after Max Miller as my dad was a big fan (my mother denies it but I can't help thinking that they didn't get the name Max out of the blue).

It's not just because he was born and lived in Brighton though. He was a genuine national star who could command astronomical fees such was his drawing power and hold over audiences. I really can't see any other contenders for Britain's greatest comedian TBH - Eric Morecambe is probably the only other one who comes close but he bounced off a straight man while MM did it all on his own - and wrote his own material, something EM didn't do.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My problem with the Two Ronnies is that although they produced some very very funny material, the majority of their output was very very weak.

Ronnie Barkers finest moment was Porridge, 100 times better than anything he did in that sketch show.

The greatest comedian this country produced was Eric Morecambe, no-one comes near.
just cannot see why people rate him, never found him at all funny.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
My uncle rian Wilde) was in Porridge with Ronnie arker. Barker denied he was a comedian, he said he didn´t tell jokes and was not naturally witty. What he said he was, was a comedic actor. Give him a good script and he was away but without one he was lost.

I´d like to add Tommy Cooper and Frankie Howard to the list.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Tommy Cooper for me, then Sid james with his immortal laugh

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aj7D65SFOhM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aj7D65SFOhM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Here's more, can't get enough of it

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/epJ2GZ0UWvw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/epJ2GZ0UWvw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here