Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Britain's bitter bread battle

I lke my bread......

• Cheap and unhealthy.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Artisanal and expensive but obviously healthy.

Votes: 66 64.7%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 28 27.5%

• Total voters

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I’ve never made sourdough. That wasn’t a thing when I bought my Panasonic SD253 about 20 years ago. Perhaps newer models can cope with sourdough, though I think the 'starter' takes a few days so I’m not sure.

But making standard bread with a breadmaker is very easy. The beauty of it that you know exactly what goes into it, namely flour, water, and a little salt and sugar (or honey). And a teaspoon of yeast. Nothing else. No chemicals, preservatives, E numbers, nothing. Of course you can add things like olives, dried tomatoes, onion etc if you like that sort of thing. Or raisins for a sweet loaf. That’s your call, but the basics are as stated. I have a pot of seeds — sunflower, pumpkin, chia, sesame etc, all mixed up. I chuck a couple of tablespoonfuls in halfway through to give it extra texture.

is it cheaper than the damp cardboard-style ultra processed supermarket material? Certainly, yes, but that’s not why you make bread at home. Apart from the cost and health benefits, it’s the aesthetics of doing it yourself. When the house is filled with the smell of freshly baked bread. When you take that new, warm, crispy loaf out of the oven or bread machine and cut that first slice. There’s a sort of magic about it, like growing your own vegetables. Tastes so much better, is healthier, and you know exactly what's gone into the making of them.

Thanks. Just ordered on your recommendation.
If you are ever selling a house, bake some bread before anyone comes round!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I lived in the States I used to despair over the bread and rolls you found in supermarkets - I found out they were also using ingredients which had been banned by the EU. I then found a local Jewish delicatessen which had a bakery which served amazing bread, rolls and bagels and it was run by a very friendly couple who were only too happy to tell you about the different items they sold. They also sold the best chicken noodle soup I've ever tasted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How about 5 euros for a jar of artisanal baked beans?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Never really taken to sandwich’s and have always been a crusty roll / baguette man

£1 baguette
£2.79 10 slices of unsmoked bacon

has just covered a lazy lunch for our family of four, not quite 30p Lee but competitive

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
bot8.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I worse place in the world to buy bread be the US, almost all mass produced bread contains sugar. Lasts forever though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here