Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britain needs millions MORE immigrants says the Office for Budget Responsibility...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But we used to do these jobs before so what's changed?.

expectations. many youth dont want to work long hours for little reward, as has always been the case for apprenticships and trainee jobs. they think... expect that they should get full wage day one. there was a programme a while ago on the subject, couple of businesses trying to get apprentices on board. one a welding firm in south london had a single application from a "local" born kid, the rest where second generation immigrants. can you imagine a 16/17 yo from an estate getting up 5am to get a bus to work cleaning and servicing offices till mid afternoon? no. but african, south american, south european, east europeans will, i used to see this everyday as i went on the same bus as them (me and one other anglo-saxon on the bus).

D

Deleted member 22389

expectations. many youth dont want to work long hours for little reward, as has always been the case for apprenticships and trainee jobs. they think... expect that they should get full wage day one. there was a programme a while ago on the subject, couple of businesses trying to get apprentices on board. one a welding firm in south london had a single application from a "local" born kid, the rest where second generation immigrants. can you imagine a 16/17 yo from an estate getting up 5am to get a bus to work cleaning and servicing offices till mid afternoon? no. but african, south american, south european, east europeans will, i used to see this everyday as i went on the same bus as them (me and one other anglo-saxon on the bus).

Expectations, that part I agree on. Expectations are far too high for young people. There are too many distractions, footballers and pop tarts of the same driving around in Ferrari's looking beautiful.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Britain needs millions MORE immigrants says the Office for Budget Responsibility...

Well the top two football divisions are doing their fair share - including Brighton!!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But we used to do these jobs before so what's changed?

Tony B sending 50% to university, now some kid with a 2:1 in media studies thinks he is too good to work a till, or stack the shelves, he wants to be assistant Manager on day one.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I am currently working for a fella who is an immigrant.He is the worse client I have worked for in forty years of being self employed. I have given him detailed estimates from the start of the work. He changes the specification involved every five minutes but expects the price to remain the same. He questions every single bill right down to the last 'halfpenny'. Today is the second time we have walked off the job. He owes me £1500.00 at the moment. If he doesn't pay my business will go down the pan. He charges the five female students in the house we are working in £2000.00 a month.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am currently working for a fella who is an immigrant.He is the worse client I have worked for in forty years of being self employed. I have given him detailed estimates from the start of the work. He changes the specification involved every five minutes but expects the price to remain the same. He questions every single bill right down to the last 'halfpenny'. Today is the second time we have walked off the job. He owes me £1500.00 at the moment. If he doesn't pay my business will go down the pan. He charges the five female students in the house we are working in £2000.00 a month.

I hadn't realised Nick van Hoogstraten is an immigrant. Threaten to rough him up a bit. He'll soon back down. Lol!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the honest truth---My dads accountant was the fella that was allegedly 'KIDNAPPED' in the late seventies by the person you may of mentioned allegedly

Lol! Sorry to josh you, but my point was that not all immigrants are *****, and not all ***** are immigrants.

Apropos of nothing, I'm sure there have been NvH threads on here before. There was an amazing documentary on his attempts to build a massive home with built-in mausoleum (to save on burial costs) on TV about 15 years ago. The man is completely disinhibited. Says exactly what he thinks, and his imagination dips into the darkest well of human imaginings. A bit OT, but the thread topic is a bit anodyne, to be fair.

I hope you get your payments sorted out and don't shafted by this idiot - wherever he's from.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mmm, but your're the type of immigrant that the country wants. Educated, hard-working, entreprenuerial, committed to staying in the UK. OK, that maybe a bit of politician type hot-air, but the point is that most people's issues with immigration is because of the 'perceived' view that immigrants are benefit-hungry peasants who add nothing except millions of pounds to the welfare bill - however right or wrong that view is.

We all know that generally that is not the case - and I would hazard a guess that the view taken about you isnt really because of your migrant status, more to do with what you have brought to the party.

My hunch is that the view taken about him is often not because of his mirgrant status (infact i think that it would not even cross most peoples minds) but because of his country of origin and skin colour. I have spoken to many people about the immigration 'problem' in Australia only to point out that I am an immigrant (most often so was someone in their fairly recent history too, of course). I get told that I am not 'one of the ones we are talking about' or not 'one of the bad ones'. So really when people talk about immigrants they are often really talking about a certain sub group of immigrants. How that subgroup is divided is interesting and on this thread we have seen that some people seemingly interchange immigrants, refugees and Muslims at will. Maybe these subgroups are based on what the individual brings to the party, however I believe that often this is not the case.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The sooner people realise that Britain is not in crisis or a recession but in decline we can start to fix the problem. The government won't help us, they are the ones draining the country.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
But we used to do these jobs before so what's changed?. Take for example the Garage down the road from me. 10 years ago they where staffed by local people, same goes for all the newsagents. Now all the staff are foreigners. Don't think it has anything to do with people being lazy, I think it has to do with how much is on offer for the job. After speaking with some of the people in the Garage they way they get treated and the money they get paid is absolutely appalling. Garage is part of a franchise owned by other foreigners, so they treat people how they like. I doubt they are even following proper health and safety rules because the workers don't know any better.

I agree some and I say some people are lazy but there are more people that really do want to work.

Trouble is we don't have enough industry anymore. For example Parker Pen used to employ thousands of people, Bevan funnels again used to employ thousands of people. All these jobs are long gone now along with many other manufacturing jobs that used to supply third party services and parts. It's a sad situation.

Absolutely right, there is now almost no manufacturing now in Brighton and Hove. Allen West based in Brighton used to employ 3,000, Kearney and Trecker (think thats how it was spelt) was another in Hollingbury, and there were others, all gone. Your right it is very sad and I can't imagine it ever changing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here