Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol Rovers considering legal action to avoid relegation

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Luton relegated from top flight 91/92 so never played in The Premier League.

This is perhaps THE most annoying of footballing comments people make on phone ins etc - as if nothing existed before Sky and 1993. When it becomes rebranded again as the lower leagues have then it'll become even more ridiculous to say x,y,z have never played in or won the "Wongaship" or whatever toss term they come up with.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
plus i'd say Oxturd are bigger than the Gas.

Really? For a One Club City the size of Oxford they are a very small club.

Rovers have Bristol City to compete with yet I consider them bigger than Oxford and by some way.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really? For a One Club City the size of Oxford they are a very small club.

Rovers have Bristol City to compete with yet I consider them bigger than Oxford and by some way.

I agree. Not sure of even my own rationale behind it but Oxford were always a small club, even when they were in the First Division. They were Wimbledon-esque in status.

Rovers would be a much larger club if they ever actually achieved anything.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
This is perhaps THE most annoying of footballing comments people make on phone ins etc - as if nothing existed before Sky and 1993. When it becomes rebranded again as the lower leagues have then it'll become even more ridiculous to say x,y,z have never played in or won the "Wongaship" or whatever toss term they come up with.
Just pointing out That Ernest stated that Luton had played in the Prem which they haven't.They played in the Old Div 1 as did Grimsby and Oxford something Rovers will never do.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I agree. Not sure of even my own rationale behind it but Oxford were always a small club, even when they were in the First Division. They were Wimbledon-esque in status.

Rovers would be a much larger club if they ever actually achieved anything.
But Rovers never have and never will and nor will City.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But Rovers never have and never will and nor will City.

Sorry but can we just say tier 1, tier 2 etc - you sound like a Man U plastic saying "never been in the Premiership" when loads of teams have by another name. That and football didn't start in 1993, though some younger fans will be astonished to learn this.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
When I last saw the stats done, a few years back, Bristol Rovers were the team that the Albion had faced most in our league history. Both teams have spent much of the last century languishing at level 3. Sad to see them sunk so low and yes it could so easily have been us, struggling like a Grimsby or a Wrexham.

Stuff the plastic money-centric Premier League nothing existed before 93 bollox, Rovers are a real club like us. Good luck to them for next season!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry but can we just say tier 1, tier 2 etc - you sound like a Man U plastic saying "never been in the Premiership" when loads of teams have by another name. That and football didn't start in 1993, though some younger fans will be astonished to learn this.

It's not just United fans who do this.

Palace fans are extremely prone to it, I've noticed.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When I last saw the stats done, a few years back, Bristol Rovers were the team that the Albion had faced most in our league history. Both teams have spent much of the last century languishing at level 3. Sad to see them sunk so low and yes it could so easily have been us, struggling like a Grimsby or a Wrexham.

Stuff the plastic money-centric Premier League nothing existed before 93 bollox, Rovers are a real club like us. Good luck to them for next season!
If you look at some earlier posts in this thread you will see that some on here did not even know that Rovers were relegated.
I wonder how many other Brighton and other championship fans did not know as well.
I for one was very sad about it, good club, good fans struggled for years and always in the shadow of City.
Zero sympathy from any City fans that I have seen. Horrible lot.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Ok no need for insults:)I'm neither young or plastic .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you look at some earlier posts in this thread you will see that some on here did not even know that Rovers were relegated.
I wonder how many other Brighton and other championship fans did not know as well.
I for one was very sad about it, good club, good fans struggled for years and always in the shadow of City.

Quite. I recall being pretty shocked when I looked at the L2 table two weeks prior to the end of the season & spotted that Rovers were still vulnerable. Then they snatched a late win at Wycombe in the penultimate game and looked like they'd done all the hard work (3 points clear of Wycombe with a home game to come and Wycombe with an away match). They were invading the Adams Park pitch in celebration. Not the last premature pitch invasion of the season, you'll recall :lolol:

Anyway, when I realised on the way back from Nottingham that Rovers had somehow managed to stuff it up from that position, it was quite a shock. It's usually the little clubs who fall, the ones that nobody outside their own town really notices or cares about. Torquay disappeared with a whimper. Rovers, a club significantly greater in stature, went kicking and screaming & hurling abuse at the board of directors.

It's going to be very hard for them to haul themselves back from the effect of this. The top tier of non league is pretty competitive, and there's a stack of former league clubs bottlenecking it around the top half of the table.

I'm very surprised there are a fair few on here who didn't know they'd gone. Personally, I'd have preferred Northampton to have dropped, but there you go.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Wouldn't you want Mr Bloom and co to do the same for us if it kept us in the football league ???
I think so !!!!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Anyone else remember when they were goading us about going down from League One at their place in the Salde great escape season before we smashed in two, beat them, survived, then won the league two seasons later as they were relegated to League Two?

Bristol Rovers :lolol:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Why would they want SYMPATHY? Would they really want pity from their arch-rivals?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Having been in the crowd for their promotion celebration in 1974 (V Albion 1-1 by the way) I feel very sad for their fans. A proper team with real supporters. I hope this does not effect their redevelopment plans. I have always enjoyed my trips to Rovers, in fairness probably because Albion have a remarkable record of success there. I am sure they will be back soon, they will be missed, and I hope they piss all over Grimsby.

But please stop the idiotic legal action.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wouldn't you want Mr Bloom and co to do the same for us if it kept us in the football league ???
I think so !!!!

If it made any actual sense then I would whereas the reasoning behind their appeal seems painfully flawed and more than a little desparate.

In that instance I'd rather at least have some dignity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here