Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City player ratings

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Definitely. He started off being so bold and brave, running at defenders, taking them on, disrupting the opposition's organisation. Then he went into his shell, and was ineffectual offensively. Perhaps this coincided with injuries, squad fatigue and, particularly, less confidence in our left back. But he's now got that determination to run at the opposition again. His finishing has been composed, too.
I'm wondering what [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] thinks.

There are aspects of Murphy's game that are very Buckleyesque. He might not have the blistering top speed but he's no slouch, but mote importantly he doesn't appear to be a massive sick note :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There are aspects of Murphy's game that are very Buckleyesque. He might not have the blistering top speed but he's no slouch, but mote importantly he doesn't appear to be a massive sick note :lol:

He's dependable, and really puts a shift in. Another good addition to our squad, and we're now blessed with wide players. I was so glad to see March turn it on, as he's probably the best of our lot, and certainly the one with the most potential.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He's dependable, and really puts a shift in. Another good addition to our squad, and we're now blessed with wide players. I was so glad to see March turn it on, as he's probably the best of our lot, and certainly the one with the most potential.

It's a nice position for Hughton to be in, that's for sure. Another good thing about Murphy is how comfortable he seems to be playing as a forward too, very versatile along the front 3.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Definitely. He started off being so bold and brave, running at defenders, taking them on, disrupting the opposition's organisation. Then he went into his shell, and was ineffectual offensively. Perhaps this coincided with injuries, squad fatigue and, particularly, less confidence in our left back. But he's now got that determination to run at the opposition again. His finishing has been composed, too.
I'm wondering what [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] thinks.

I have watched Jamie play since age 17 at Motherwell. My mate was head of Youth Development when he broke into the First Team.

He is no different now to what he was then. He has always been confident player and has major ability. I once saw him in a match against an Albanian side in Europe and he was absolutely phenomenal in that match.

I do think he probably gets better coaching now and there are obviously a lot better coaching facilities.. I don't think he is better or worse than when he came to Brighton. What people perceived to be a dip in form wasn't really that. He had just been asked to do a different job on the pitch during matches because of the left back situation through injuries.

He was being asked to get back and help cover a thirty something left back playing out of position. Calderon although extremely fit still cant really play a major attacking role and do his defensive duties for a full 90 minutes and get up and down the pitch as much.

Jamie was asked to do a job and help out defensively and with no real overlapping full back he was easy to mark out of the game by putting an extra man on him. Once he had the supporting full back again it become difficult to double up on him because he just then releases his full back or plays the ball inside and that creates space for others.

His strike rate of goals is good for a winger because although right footed, he can strike the ball very well with his left foot. That makes it hard for keepers or defenders to ''second guess'' which foot he will strike the ball with.

Jamie will have a lot more bad games because by the very nature of the type of player he is. I have seen him play many a bad game but he never fails to give his best in a match.

The Manager really likes him and likes his work rate in training and in matches. I think Chris is also encouraging him to get more goals himself which is good but to be honest Jamie will always get goals because of the points I mention. His timing getting into the box is first class.

So I say just enjoy his good form for now. If he has a bad run of form so be it but he won't have as many bad games as he has good games. And finally I think they must be working on his striking of the ball because he seems to be generating more power in his strike, although you wont get may 40 yard screamers from him. All in all I think an 8 out of 10 for his contribution so far this season. If he is not in the next Scotland Squad then Gordon Str.achan needs his head examined

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a nice position for Hughton to be in, that's for sure. Another good thing about Murphy is how comfortable he seems to be playing as a forward too, very versatile along the front 3.

He occasionally played as a striker at Motherwell but for the most part he played wide left. Sheff Utd used him quite a lot as a right winger so he can play anywhere - Even the No 10 role and when he played alongside Henrik Ojamma at Motherwell, they were a joy to watch together

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Great divergence of opinion on Dunk's performance last night. Between 8.5 very assured and 6.5 dived in too much.
He always dives in too much...he actually nearly crippled Kayal on the edge of our box with one of his 'oops too late again' lunges that was so late that the BC player was long gone and Kayal had arrived......

I think Stockdale saved his blushes a couple of times.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He always dives in too much...he actually nearly crippled Kayal on the edge of our box with one of his 'oops too late again' lunges that was so late that the BC player was long gone and Kayal had arrived......

I think Stockdale saved his blushes a couple of times.

There have also been plenty of occasions this season when his dives in have saved the team. He spends a lot of time covering his teammates - it's unsurprising that he's diving in on occasion if he's having to rush over to cover someone else's mistake or poor positioning.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I have watched Jamie play since age 17 at Motherwell. My mate was head of Youth Development when he broke into the First Team.

He is no different now to what he was then. He has always been confident player and has major ability. I once saw him in a match against an Albanian side in Europe and he was absolutely phenomenal in that match.

I do think he probably gets better coaching now and there are obviously a lot better coaching facilities.. I don't think he is better or worse than when he came to Brighton. What people perceived to be a dip in form wasn't really that. He had just been asked to do a different job on the pitch during matches because of the left back situation through injuries.

He was being asked to get back and help cover a thirty something left back playing out of position. Calderon although extremely fit still cant really play a major attacking role and do his defensive duties for a full 90 minutes and get up and down the pitch as much.

Jamie was asked to do a job and help out defensively and with no real overlapping full back he was easy to mark out of the game by putting an extra man on him. Once he had the supporting full back again it become difficult to double up on him because he just then releases his full back or plays the ball inside and that creates space for others.

His strike rate of goals is good for a winger because although right footed, he can strike the ball very well with his left foot. That makes it hard for keepers or defenders to ''second guess'' which foot he will strike the ball with.

Jamie will have a lot more bad games because by the very nature of the type of player he is. I have seen him play many a bad game but he never fails to give his best in a match.

The Manager really likes him and likes his work rate in training and in matches. I think Chris is also encouraging him to get more goals himself which is good but to be honest Jamie will always get goals because of the points I mention. His timing getting into the box is first class.

So I say just enjoy his good form for now. If he has a bad run of form so be it but he won't have as many bad games as he has good games. And finally I think they must be working on his striking of the ball because he seems to be generating more power in his strike, although you wont get may 40 yard screamers from him. All in all I think an 8 out of 10 for his contribution so far this season. If he is not in the next Scotland Squad then Gordon Str.achan needs his head examined

Agree, he has shown he is more than good enough for this level and should be given a chance.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There have also been plenty of occasions this season when his dives in have saved the team. He spends a lot of time covering his teammates - it's unsurprising that he's diving in on occasion if he's having to rush over to cover someone else's mistake or poor positioning.
I don't see the same panics setting in with Goldson, nor Hunnemier when he was fit...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't see the same panics setting in with Goldson, nor Hunnemier when he was fit...

It's a different style of defending, and you're totally within your rights not to like it. I do think he's been affected much more by the changes at left back than anyone else though, particularly when Calde has played. It's no surprise that he's looked totally assured when Bong and Rosenior have been next to him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Player Ratings

Highest Rated
Stockdale 8.49 (96mins, 8 votes)

The Rest
Kayal 8.29 (96mins, 7 votes)
<Hemed 7.93 (88mins, 7 votes)
Murphy 7.86 (96mins, 7 votes)
Stephens 7.50 (96mins, 7 votes)