Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol anyone?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Looks like I will be moving to Bristol for a new job in a few months time. Anyone got any knowledge of the area they'd like to share, areas to avoid, nice places to live in and around the city (ideally north side) etc. Any advice appreciated.
Also, feel free to hijack this thread to make derogatory comments about their football team :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Live in Bristol - great City.

Who are you working for and where are they based - should be a big part in which areas you consider living in.

(NB - they have more than 1 football team, although there are more Albion fans in my office than either City or Rovers)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
PM'd you :thumbsup:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Depends on your circs...........

1 ) Single - Clifton/Hotwells/Redland

2) Family man - Live outside, try Nailsea/Clevedon/Thornbury/Keynsham

3) Avoid East and South Bristol suberbs

4) North Bristol would be Bradley Stoke/Stoke Gifford which are sprawling new home estates, have to be seen to be believed.

5) City centre areas - avoid St Pauls/Easton/Montpellier/St Werburgh/St andrews, but ok in Bedminster and the immediate harbourside areas.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Cheers Somerset. It'll be Bradley Stoke area I should think. I suppose I'm possibly more interested in where not to live to save myself some grief.

Rangdo said:
Cheers Somerset. It'll be Bradley Stoke area I should think. I suppose I'm possibly more interested in where not to live to save myself some grief.

Bradley Stoke? Prepare for many, many traffic jams. I was sat for half an hour travelling 100 yards on the Ministry of Defence roundabout at 5pm the other night. As featured in The Sun with the woman who won't drive around it. Leaves her car and gets a bus rather than risk driving around it.

Also be prepared to get very very lost for the first few weeks - all the Stokes look the same - Stoke Gifford, Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke. All new houses with identikit pubs and shops.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Rangdo, you aren't coming to work for Orange are you? I work at Ornage inBradley Stoke but don't live here. i find the place has absolutely no character, I am constantly confused as to which pub I walk into here as well as they all look the same (all built in the 80's).

I live down in Bishopston/ Redland way and its only 20 mins drive up to Bradley Stoke. Better pubs and restaurants, easy access to Clifton as well.

i would forget about living south of the city if you have to work in Bradley Stoke, just too much traffic to deal with.

Any more help, PM me and if I can be of help then more than happy to.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Seagull over NZ said:
Rangdo, you aren't coming to work for Orange are you? I work at Ornage inBradley Stoke but don't live here. i find the place has absolutely no character, I am constantly confused as to which pub I walk into here as well as they all look the same (all built in the 80's).

I live down in Bishopston/ Redland way and its only 20 mins drive up to Bradley Stoke. Better pubs and restaurants, easy access to Clifton as well.

i would forget about living south of the city if you have to work in Bradley Stoke, just too much traffic to deal with.

Any more help, PM me and if I can be of help then more than happy to.

PM'd :wave:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Get your sorry ass over to the Clifton area where, if you were there tonight, you could be joining us in the Roo Bar for the game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Clifton - right on the triangle currently.

Work on the A38 by the King's Head so travel right past Ashton Gate twice a day, every day.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Franks Wild Years said:
Used to live up that way meself Bozza, but couldn't afford to buy up there. Spent far to much time and money in the Hope and Anchor.
We should sortn out a Seagulls over Bristol drink.

Aah the Hope and Anchor - excellent food there as well, bit too many students now for my liking but a good pub none the less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here