Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bring the dons home

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
No but we took Gillingham because we had no choice, they had a choice as a temporary home but refused it and CHOSE to move out of the area. I am fairly sure Merton Council tried to get them to use the Speedway track and at the time there was talk of them building a stadium on the industrial estate between Plough Lane and The Speedway track, where in fact Schweppes amongst many had a unit.

The Speedway track being the stock car track being the Dog racing track.

THE F.A.WILL NOT, nor have they since well before we lost the Goldstone,ALLOW DOG RACING ON THE SAME GROUND AS FOOTBALL.IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO INSURE PLAYERS AGAINST TOXICARA CANNIS.

The F.A. shut down the dog tracks at Chelsea,Watford,Halifax,the only one to escape was Wembley but the F.A. had no control over a private company.Wembley had no team to deny and place in a league. The F.A. would NEVER have allowed us to groundshare Hove dog track.It was either us or dogs,part of the reason we ended up at Gillingham
Even the Wimbledon dog track owners want to sell up to AFC

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/...ts_plan_to_turn_stadium_into_football_ground/

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
I lived in Earlsfield ( about a mile up Garrett Lane from Plough Lane) at the time, and I recall that Merton Council made Lewes DC look positively encourage by comparison. There was brief talk about developing the dog track, but in never came to much not least because a massive electrical substation precluded combining the two sites, which it believed they had to do because the dog track site alone wasn't big enough on its own, although I recall it had a massive car park.

I know its hard to gauge but the aerial view suggests that a pitch plus dog track might have been a tight fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Done and good luck to em !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that part of the same FA that was so unhelpful to Albion fans when we were looking for support?

No that was a County FA and the support we should have got would and should have come from the FA at Lancaster Gate mind you I dont remember Sussex FA doing much to help us but age may have got the better and the memory fails a little.

Just to add to Raymond Briggs post Bristol Rovers had a dog track at their old ground on the side of the motorway at Eastville was it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No that was a County FA and the support we should have got would and should have come from the FA at Lancaster Gate mind you I dont remember Sussex FA doing much to help us but age may have got the better and the memory fails a little.

Just to add to Raymond Briggs post Bristol Rovers had a dog track at their old ground on the side of the motorway at Eastville was it.

It did but Rovers haven't played there since 1986.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
As I say not really my problem and as Granny says feck em. We fought tooth and nail for our club they made gestures only and expected everybody else to act on their behalf.[/QUOTE]

What a ludicrous thing to say Brian. They STARTED THEIR OWN CLUB for f**** sake - and fought so long and so hard they are back in the League.
To AFC Wimbledon, FC United, Wrexham, Chester and all the other fan owned clubs including the recently formed 1874 Northwich, born from the wreckage of the Archered Vics, total respect.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Clicked and supported. The fans trying to bring the club home, a worthy cause. There really is some mealy mouthed crap on here sometimes. The Wimbledon fans had no say in what happened to them, and they did fight for their club, sadly they LOST because the did not have anyone to work with to save them. The Albion had Dick Knight and the consortium to fight Archer with side by side, who did the Dons fans have. No-one. An owner determined to move them and a council who couldn't wait to get rid of them, they had little chance of success. Just because they lost their fight and we won ours does not diminish their effort.

I am aware that in non-league circles AFC are not the most popular team for a variety of reasons, but the fact is they started again from the bottom and did it themselves. A return to Plough Lane would complete the rebirth of Wimbledon's football club. The proposal looks a good one and is deserving of support in my view.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Done. **** Franchise United. Good luck to the proper Dons.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, but in my opinion this is a horse that's bolted. It was shocking what happened to Wimbledon FC, and should never ben allowed - but it's what, ten years ago now? - or more? AFC Wimbledon are the local team now; they started from scratch, and good luck to them, although you could argue that there's more than enough London teams in the leagues already.

As for MK Dons, it's times they stopped the farce of pretending to be anything to do with the old club, drop the 'Dons' and just become Milton Keyenes City, or Rovers or Wanderers or something. I have huge sympathy for the original Wimbledon fans who still cling to their old allegiance, but sorry boys, it's gone - it's history now, and beyond the point of no return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here