Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brilliant

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not brilliant but a good, workmanlike performance. An excellent Welbeck goal the highlight amongst the normal gaggle of snatched shots and woeful finishing. Dunk outstanding and in command the whole game. All the back line pretty solid. 7/10 for the team but no more. Leeds were as bad as we were last week. Safety just a technical issue now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sorry, I retract my statement then.
Perhaps what I meant is that we shouldn’t be so pessimistic with results like that against Sheffield United. And we should be cautiously optimistic with result like today. I’m not saying we can’t be a top 10 side, but it’s not an easy task!

Very few sides can sustain a top ten place. We aren't one of them. Any side outside the elite can achieve top half as a one off but its rarely repeated. Lets just concentrate on consolidation and forget unrealistic targets like top ten.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Really good performance nearly undone by our finishing again. Can't believe how well we play, passing, defense, creativity until we miss chance after chance this season. Made it even more frustrating to watch than the dull grinding out points style we had to endure. Next season we can't be that bad putting our chances away so looks bright.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It’s only fair, after I started a thread calling the Sheff United performance pathetic.

I don’t buy into every team we beat have had a bad game. We stopped them playing twice this season and have showed truly how average Leeds are. Well done to Potter and all the Lads. Time for a beer.

I have been so distracted and stressed about our performances and struggling to get over the line, including today until the 2nd went in that for the past couple of weeks i have totally forgotten about Solly and Lamptey.
We can only hope that Biss stays ( but he wont) and we need a couple of replacements but we really do have the makings of a very good squad of players, the best in my 40 odd years and a manager who is a strange cocktail of being odd and a genius.
Surely a mid table stress free season beckons.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Really good performance nearly undone by our finishing again. Can't believe how well we play, passing, defense, creativity until we miss chance after chance this season. Made it even more frustrating to watch than the dull grinding out points style we had to endure. Next season we can't be that bad putting our chances away so looks bright.

Is Hughton gonna be forever labelled as a manager who ground out results? I would suggest that he had a mix and match policy. I remember plenty of attacking performances mixed in with ' backs to the wall ' performances. Fans forget some of the scintillating performances from Izquierdo. The team goal at Stoke was simply brilliant one touch football. We scored 3 goals in a game as much under Hughton as we have under Potter. We certainly created less and had to be more clinical.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I have been so distracted and stressed about our performances and struggling to get over the line, including today until the 2nd went in that for the past couple of weeks i have totally forgotten about Solly and Lamptey.
We can only hope that Biss stays ( but he wont) and we need a couple of replacements but we really do have the makings of a very good squad of players, the best in my 40 odd years and a manager who is a strange cocktail of being odd and a genius.
Surely a mid table stress free season beckons.

Lets not get too carried away with words like ' genius ' This word suggests an individual who does extraordinary, innovative and creative things. Something that mere mortals are not capable of. GP is a football manager, still learning his craft and with a lot to prove yet. He has won 8 matches out of 34, hardly the stuff of genius. If I he wins us the PL next season, I will happily concede that he is, indeed, gifted.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lets not get too carried away with words like ' genius ' This word suggests an individual who does extraordinary, innovative and creative things. Something that mere mortals are not capable of. GP is a football manager, still learning his craft and with a lot to prove yet. He has won 8 matches out of 34, hardly the stuff of genius. If I he wins us the PL next season, I will happily concede that he is, indeed, gifted.

Yes you are right but his ability to change things about so that even the top teams struggle to work it out and play against us is something I have not really seen before.
However aside from all the missed chances that you cant really blame the manager for we have still struggled at the bottom part of the league, but apart from a couple of 3-0 games, no team has taken us apart.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If you want to out football us you need to be a very decent side. We struggle with the low block and those who don't want to engage with us. Find an answer to that and we are going to be dangerous to all bar the very best.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Fulham losing to Chelsea now. If it stays like this, Fulham will need to win all four of their remaining games to stay up (and hope we don't pick up points). Three wins and a draw won't do it for them, because of our goal difference.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Is Hughton gonna be forever labelled as a manager who ground out results? I would suggest that he had a mix and match policy. I remember plenty of attacking performances mixed in with ' backs to the wall ' performances. Fans forget some of the scintillating performances from Izquierdo. The team goal at Stoke was simply brilliant one touch football. We scored 3 goals in a game as much under Hughton as we have under Potter. We certainly created less and had to be more clinical.

He did a good job fore sure but it was pretty dull in the main. As I said not sure if creating untold chances and missing isn't more frustrating but if we take 10% more next season it will be way better than the Hughton style.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
****ing fantastic that!

Indeed, and it does make on ewonder why we can't do it more often.

It does seem that we are at our best against teams who, like us, try to play football, and conversely at out worst against long ball teams, who like to pack their dfence by playing ten men behind the ball.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I swear we have the most fickle fan base. One week we think we are doomed, the next we are a top 10 side.

Maybe we can all agree that we’re doomed to be mid table? What a wonderful feeling that would be. I can’t cope with the stress of the threat of relegation each season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You'd have thought the legendary genius that is Bielsa would've worked out a way to turn us over. Instead, over the course of 180+ minutes, they've simply not laid a glove on us.

Strange that.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
How come every time we win lose or draw against a team in the top half, the opposition's lack of chances is because they were off form. Have they not spotted the massive coincidence? We are a solid unit that presses, covers, gets back in numbers etc and make them look toothless. Contrary to commentators nonsense about playing possession football, without parking any buses we stifle their play and use our possession far more clinically - without converting many chances unfortunately. On Prime Lee Dixon was harping on about players morale. This is one of Potter's specialities, no matter what the previous result (or half dozen) may be, we seem to approach each game ready for the task. Most teams after a crappy run lose belief and ship in Allardyce. Potter spoke recently about this - how most Prem teams will lose most games and in a low scoring sport, at the mercy of human mistakes it is important to keep players functioning at their best. Bielsa punched the Amex as he realised he add been out tacticled (new word) by GP again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How come every time we win lose or draw against a team in the top half, the opposition's lack of chances is because they were off form. Have they not spotted the massive coincidence? We are a solid unit that presses, covers, gets back in numbers etc and make them look toothless. Contrary to commentators nonsense about playing possession football, without parking any buses we stifle their play and use our possession far more clinically - without converting many chances unfortunately. On Prime Lee Dixon was harping on about players morale. This is one of Potter's specialities, no matter what the previous result (or half dozen) may be, we seem to approach each game ready for the task. Most teams after a crappy run lose belief and ship in Allardyce. Potter spoke recently about this - how most Prem teams will lose most games and in a low scoring sport, at the mercy of human mistakes it is important to keep players functioning at their best. Bielsa punched the Amex as he realised he add been out tacticled (new word) by GP again.

Incredible stupidity and lack of research from just about every pundit there's been this season.

It's a massive credit to our midfield that that whoever we've played, we've been competitive, and in more games than not we've been dominant.

Sanchez, again had a day with very little to do

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Could we find a player who can at least hit a ball at the goal, instead of taking a wild aim in the general direction of row z.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
So the Leeds manager is regarded as the best there is - Potter out smarted him twice this season, totally dominated their style of play and deserved the double.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here