Brigton Micropub - latest

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
We were music-led and the way we worked it was that we'd pay the band 10% of the bar take from when they started playing until the end of the night. Support acts play free. If they bring a crowd they could have a gig of their own.
Popular bands such as Tragic Roundabout, Los Albertos, The Resonators make quite a few hundred quid for their work, but of course the pub took quite a few grand from them being there. It means the band tries hard to promote the night but if nobody comes you won't lose out.

In my experience though, it's a right pain in the arse, and you'd need to pay north of £1,000 for equipment plus regular relacements and repairs, a sound man £75 per night, the council and/or police may insist on security outside at weekends which will be £20 per hour or so. Oh, and you'd need to print posters and flyers.
Owning a pub is very costly indeed with a constant stream of things breaking down, going wrong, getting broken, smashed up etc. You're forever jumping through hoops to please the council and police.
It's a lot of hassle and I wish you all the best, but I'll never do it again that's for sure.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Good to meet you all last night. Have woken up this morning still very excited by the prospect (clearly aided by not sinking more than one Harveys.)

Also, one interesting point about the Butcher's Arms (having just had a look at in on Google street view) is that it is right opposite two great big traditional boozers.

There's a pub opposite but I can't remember another one, situated in a very quiet area on a main road. It's a very 'village' pub, and I presume very cheap rent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We were music-led and the way we worked it was that we'd pay the band 10% of the bar take from when they started playing until the end of the night. Support acts play free. If they bring a crowd they could have a gig of their own.
Popular bands such as Tragic Roundabout, Los Albertos, The Resonators make quite a few hundred quid for their work, but of course the pub took quite a few grand from them being there. It means the band tries hard to promote the night but if nobody comes you won't lose out.

In my experience though, it's a right pain in the arse, and you'd need to pay north of £1,000 for equipment plus regular relacements and repairs, a sound man £75 per night, the council and/or police may insist on security outside at weekends which will be £20 per hour or so. Oh, and you'd need to print posters and flyers.
Owning a pub is very costly indeed with a constant stream of things breaking down, going wrong, getting broken, smashed up etc. You're forever jumping through hoops to please the council and police.
It's a lot of hassle and I wish you all the best, but I'll never do it again that's for sure.

You are obviously talking of large music venues which concentrate on music but I was talking of the average small pub that puts on music as an added attraction to the darts and pool, which is what our pubs were, local pubs for local people.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
One pub is right next to the Butcher's Arms (The Smugglers I think), and then there is another opposite (name escapes me.) Take a look on street view and you'll see it. What's interesting for me is that my initial reaction was that such close competition would be problematic, but for the Butcher's it could be a blessing. The other 2 pubs are your classic food and Sky sports pubs, the sort of place you might be forced to go to watch a game, then forced to by John Smiths or Fosters, and never really want to venture into again. The Butcher's then offers that place that you can pop into to get a genuine pint.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There's a pub opposite but I can't remember another one, situated in a very quiet area on a main road. It's a very 'village' pub, and I presume very cheap rent.

Which of the major companies would do that, none that I know of and I am sure that Biffer would agree unless it is on a short term lease as a pub that has previously had a number of people leave due to the previous high rent.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Agree with everything you've said here Biffer, but this really isn't the micro pub concept. The original link gives you much more of an idea of what it's about.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Which of the major companies would do that, none that I know of and I am sure that Biffer would agree unless it is on a short term lease as a pub that has previously had a number of people leave due to the previous high rent.

Well it was a vacant butchers with very little passing trade, I'm just speculating having visited.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The other pub is called the Upper Red Lion, but it looks like it is about to be turned into a Tesco Local.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with everything you've said here Biffer, but this really isn't the micro pub concept. The original link gives you much more of an idea of what it's about.

That's why I posted it. It really isn't the micro-pub concept so I was trying to warn you away from music.

As BG said, most pubs would have a rent of between £20k and £50k. If it's lower than that it would be for a short term (first year or so). They'll then hike it up and have rent reviews every few years with a view to hike it up as much as they can. The more successful you are, the more they will want.
Please, whatever you do, don't get involved with a pub company.

I thought the micro-pub idea was to lease a building that isn't currently a pub anyway...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Please, whatever you do, don't get involved with a pub company.

I thought the micro-pub idea was to lease a building that isn't currently a pub anyway...

Another option if you have enough investors or sufficient money is to buy a pub that is on the market as a freehold but again the big companies wont sell them cheap as they would rather sell them off to a property developer to demolish and build flats. Purely for information if JD Wetherspons buy a property to convert to pub they set aside £1m for the rebuild and refurbish.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We don't want to buy a pub. We want to start a MICROPUB in a small disused premises, most likely a shop

Shit! I've just gone and put an offer in for the King & Queen; have notified Carling that I'll need a monster delivery of Euro-Fizz and Jaegermeisters; have Sky on hold as I order every sports package under the Sun, and Dixons are delivering 8 x 128inch flat screen tvs!

Next you'll be telling me to send back the 10 fruit machines and 2 pool tables, and that my "Wear as little as you can and get a free vodka shot promotion" isn't worth pursuing! Shall I send back the Jessie J CDs as well?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
We don't want to buy a pub. We want to start a MICROPUB in a small disused premises, most likely a shop

Out of interest - and I'm not involved, so it's not really any of my business, just curious - but, what is the basic philosophy for you guys. Presumably you're not looking to make a living out of it, just run it as a hobby yes ? I mean, a pub, let alone a small one is barely enough to support one owner, as far as I know.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Shit! I've just gone and put an offer in for the King & Queen; have notified Carling that I'll need a monster delivery of Euro-Fizz and Jaegermeisters; have Sky on hold as I order every sports package under the Sun, and Dixons are delivering 8 x 128inch flat screen tvs!

Next you'll be telling me to send back the 10 fruit machines and 2 pool tables, and that my "Wear as little as you can and get a free vodka shot promotion" isn't worth pursuing! Shall I send back the Jessie J CDs as well?

Keep everything bar the Jessie J CD's and the Carling. And change the wear as little as you can deal to "a free shot" (You can give them stuff that's cheaper than vodka and they will not give a shit!!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports