Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brigton Micropub - latest

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm not going to be able to make it tonight after all chaps :( Both me and the Mrs have got chest infections, and it wouldn't be fair to inflict this on anyone else.

Please let us know what happens and I would love to be a part of this still. Best of luck to those who make it.

mark drayton

mark drayton
Apr 9, 2012
Hove
very interested but it is my wedding anniversary so no chance tonight. I will follow the outcome of tonight's meeting though and try and make the next one

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Good luck with the planning- I trust there will be opportunity for it to double up as a live music venue even if on the small size!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
BUGGER ..... just about to head up and I have to help out doing stuff in a pub .... shit, bollocks, wank

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good luck with the planning- I trust there will be opportunity for it to double up as a live music venue even if on the small size!

The place hasn't even got off the ground and you are suggesting ways for it to lose money. Sorry but pubs with live music very rarely make money, the people that make money out of them is the musicians especially if it is a group.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The place hasn't even got off the ground and you are suggesting ways for it to lose money. Sorry but pubs with live music very rarely make money, the people that make money out of them is the musicians especially if it is a group.

You really are a miserable sod aren't you. Blimey, even Victor Meldrew looks cheery in comparison.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No I am not but as in your case I tried to warn you of possible pitfalls through someone else's experience and mistakes, which has been born out by a few. I am just putting forward a view from my own experience and that of many pub operators that live music in pubs generally gets the crowds in but doesn't make a profit for the owners.
Isn't the idea of a micro pub to make a profit and provide decent beer and as such I i wish the venture, should it get off the ground, be a roaring success. Similarly I hope that all goes well for you in NZ and that you don't have cause to look back and say if only

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BG should know a thing or two about pubs as I understand

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my old bosses insisted that we took 6 x a normal non music night if we put on music but I argued with him that the music made people aware of the pub and they came in at other times. His argument was that if we would have taken £300 we needed to take £1800 to make the same profit taking into account the fee for the group, the extra staff wages to serve the increased number of customers and the beer etc to sell them and still finish up with the same net profit. I don't know who was right but he sold his company with 8 pubs for £10m and retired at 50 years old and I worked until I was 60 without making that sort of money so he must have done something right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A big thanks to those who turned up and also everyone who has been in touch. Last night was literally the first time anything has been discussed and we are far from a plan. But, we have a very loose idea/vision of how we see this panning out, and we seem to agree on what it is we want, and there is genuine desire to see it happen. We will be moving onto the next step which is a fact finding mission. I just wanted to give folk a heads up, more detail to follow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Odd that there are so many long standing live music pubs in this country?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Considering most bands don't get paid for doing live music I don't understand how you would lose money on just having a local bad playing but fair enough.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A big thanks to those who turned up and also everyone who has been in touch. Last night was literally the first time anything has been discussed and we are far from a plan. But, we have a very loose idea/vision of how we see this panning out, and we seem to agree on what it is we want, and there is genuine desire to see it happen. We will be moving onto the next step which is a fact finding mission. I just wanted to give folk a heads up, more detail to follow.

Good to meet you all last night. Have woken up this morning still very excited by the prospect (clearly aided by not sinking more than one Harveys.)

Also, one interesting point about the Butcher's Arms (having just had a look at in on Google street view) is that it is right opposite two great big traditional boozers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Odd that there are so many long standing live music pubs in this country?

More and more are closing down or as another poster pointed out not paying bands. I am talking of the 90s as I retired in 2003 during midweek an average single musician charged between £70-£100 a duo £130 - £200 obviously depending on popularity etc and bands £200+ they charged more at weekends and in fact most of the people I knew wouldn't do a pub on a Saturday evening because working mens clubs paid more money as they were not so profit concious. and were more concerned with keeping the members happy.erhap the musicians have realised that a pub is no longer a cash cow for them.

The latest music pub to close and await demolition is The Kings Head in Burgess Hill which has had music on Friday and Saturday evenings for years.

One of the best value for money musicians we used was Keith Hayman from Cuckfield, that was when he is not acting as keyboard player/musical director for Cliff Richard or on the road with 10cc or other bands that he plays in as a session musician. We used a number of single acts and duos that came from Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here