Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's WORST PUB World Cup - nominations

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
Blimey, you really can't have been to many pubs - the Franklin's like a knitting circle compared to some pubs I've been in Bradford, Liverpool, Manchester and London

Well maybe, but coupled with the homophobic and racist abuse that passers-by have to suffer, this is really the pits of this town. I witnessed a guy being homophobically abused by five or six he was just standing on the pavement waiting for a lift.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...although I must say that Adam Virgo showed me his Rolex in there one Sunday. He also told me he was on 10k a week at Celtic but hated Glasgow with a passion...

Is that the one he got from the Roy Keane testimonial?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Been away from NSC for a few weeks, so I missed this. I think most of the dives I've been in have had a mention already. The only ones I couldn't pinpoint were the Albion Inn and the Mitre Tavern. The Albion Inn has always been one of those pubs that time seems to have forgotten. They run a pub quiz there on a Friday night which is unusual in the sense that pubs tend to stage quizzes generally on nights where they expect trade to be otherwise quiet. You would hope for a pub to last this long in the economic climate of recent years that Friday night would be when it would expect to receive punters! The Mitre seems to be one of those places that's a bit Marmite. Some people like it a lot for being a very old-fashioned place with no gimmicks, but I've tended to find it a bit too much of a local's local.

If I was picking out one place though, I would go for the Branch Tavern narrowly ahead of the Franklin. Both are places where you feel that aggro is potentially not far away. I trust they have done 'well' in the competition so far.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
* CONTROVERSY ALERT *

Oh I don't know. The prices are no worse than its neighbours, and the bar staff are pretty decent and courteous. The Open House of three years ago - I'd agree.

However, if it's rude bar staff you're after - nowhere tops The Great Eastern. Surly, non-engaging, miserable and rude. I think that's covered those bases.

Spot on sir. Horribly cramped, shi¥te food and terrible pretentious staff that look at you like you have just farted in their faces. Shame a lot of my friends still rate it despite my protests.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The Fortune of War pint in a plastic cup indoors; worst pizza I've ever eaten, apparently the oven gets messed up if you put any cheese on it to the amount of say a pizza. Offered me money back but shouldn't even be selling it! Shame liked the place used to be **** got better looks like its going back to its old ways!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here