Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton’s long march from the brink of extinction to the promised land of European football

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great article detailing our incredible story, with NSC featuring at the very beginning...

"On one run-of-the-mill Friday evening in April 2001, a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter logged on to the North Stand Chat forum online because he wanted to reminisce. Brighton were on the verge of sealing promotion from the Third Division (that would be confirmed nine days later). To fully experience the joy, that supporter reasoned, we should reflect upon what came before. His reflections were of half-time at Hereford in 1997, ultimately recognised as the day Brighton saved themselves.​
“I still remember that feeling and will never forget it. I sat on the floor with a fag and I just couldn’t get up, couldn’t see how I could get on with the rest of my life. We came so close it still gives me goosebumps when I think about it.”​
The user’s post provoked a steady stream of responses, a blue-and-white-striped online confessional. It was as if only the release of impending promotion, escaping one of a number of prisons into which they had been forced, could permit such emotional expression. Do it any earlier and you risk turning on a tap that just will not stop."​

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And, if you have a few minutes, it's well worth a read back...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Was reading that article this morning on a train south from Penrith. We pulled into Wigan station and I think I got something in my eye.

Went to Wigan away and went leafleting in their supporters club, then post game up to Mellor for that march. Went on my own that day, not sure what to expect, but a sense things were getting desperate. Turned out alright I guess.

Should be on time for a couple of pints in town pre-match. I won't be on my own.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Fantastic piece.

Daniel Storey is brilliant. Think I remember him saying on a Podcast he's got close friends who are Brighton fans so he does understand the club, fans and what we've been through and seems to have a bit of a soft spot for us. Always talks and writes knowledgeably and complimentary about us.

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Proper onion chopper that.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Storey by name, story by nature. A long article, but fascinating all the same. I was 18 years old when it all started going so wrong for us back then. I'm still learning, or being reminded of the amount people did. Liam Brady offering £40K, only for it to be knocked back being one example.

Nicks

Who thought all those years ago at Gillingham with my two lads of 8 and 9 years old and their cousin in the middle would be watching European football in a state of the art stadium tonight !!!
Quite emotional really.
Screenshot_2023-09-21-12-00-47-59_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well done Daniel Storey. That was marvellous.

After yesterday's video, I find myself crying for the second time in two days. Both times, I went on Robbie Reinalt's goal. It just seems like the explosion of relief after all of the build up of tension.

Love to all who are with us, or who were with us at any point during the journey. You're the reason why any of this matters.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There has been a lot written and filmed about us recently but that might just be the best article I've ever read about us. Beautiful and poignant and should be read by every Brighton fan.

It is our story and wonderfully evokes just what sits at the heart and soul of our club. No matter how high we fly, how brightly we shine we should never forget where we came from, the fires we were forged in and just what it means to be Brighton. We are Brighton.

I said it on the video thread and I'll say it here, I f***ing love this club!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You're going to need to stop doing this. Sat at my desk welling up again!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Tried to read it but keeps graying out and wants me to sign in or buy a subscription, anyway round this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here