Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton's Best kept secret

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When little in the 40's I spent weeks at Foredown Hospital with scarlet fever. Still remember the face of my Mum at the quarantine window. No hugs in those days too. For a little boy it was a scary place.

Foredown Hospital in Portslade was used as an Isolation Hospital for the last outbreak of smallpox in the UK

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placecivic/isolation-hospitals/isolation-hospitals-3

(I'll give it 12 posts before it gets sent to the Bear Pit)
[/QUOTE]

My mum spent some months there in 1963 when she was pregnant with my little brother. I never found out why, exacly.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I may have posted this before, as it has disturbed me for 55 years.

A class mate told me there were secret passages from St Nicholas Church and Easthill House that led under Shoreham Harbour where there was a massive underground complex with submarines and nuclear missiles.

He also told me that his dad had 'titted off' the queen.

Did he ever mention that he'd seen Palace score 4 goals away from home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDKTTNXH2w

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Booth's Museum in Dyke Road is/was pretty much a well kept secret in that I never ever met anybody else who went there apart from me and me kids when they were little. Not sure what was the more creepy, the exhibits or the curator. We last went there in the early nineties. Doubt the creepy curator's still there. Probably been stuffed and mounted by now :ohmy:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
For a Finn he's quite extrovert

They say you've met a Finnish extrovert if he's talking to your shoes rather than his own.

But I must admit that hasn't been my personal experience of the Finns. 15 years or so ago, four au pairs from Oulu moved to Lewes and they were a great bunch. Though if they ever offer you a bit of salmiakki, just say no.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Sir George Everest, who mount Everest is named after is buried in St Andrew's Church Hove.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Booth's Museum in Dyke Road is/was pretty much a well kept secret in that I never ever met anybody else who went there apart from me and me kids when they were little. Not sure what was the more creepy, the exhibits or the curator. We last went there in the early nineties. Doubt the creepy curator's still there. Probably been stuffed and mounted by now :ohmy:

We’ve been there before with our kids. Someone liked butchering birds, for taxidermy :(

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It's probably not that obscure but the other day I walked to the Hove Quaff and went home via St Helier's Road. I had completely forgotten Davis Park existed. I had a nostalgic wander round - the last time I'd been there I was probably about 11.

Another vote for Davis Park . Not many people seem to use it , which is a shame . Not sure why not , maybe as it’s almost west Hove & wish park is also nearby .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My mum spent some months there in 1963 when she was pregnant with my little brother. I never found out why, exacly.[/QUOTE]

I remember being tested at school for TB around that time, and several girls showing a large reaction.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
My mum spent some months there in 1963 when she was pregnant with my little brother. I never found out why, exacly.

I remember being tested at school for TB around that time, and several girls showing a large reaction.[/QUOTE]

......to you being tested? :ohmy:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I may have posted this before, as it has disturbed me for 55 years.

A class mate told me there were secret passages from St Nicholas Church and Easthill House that led under Shoreham Harbour where there was a massive underground complex with submarines and nuclear missiles.

He also told me that his dad had 'titted off' the queen.

And have since found out one of those is true!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For a Finn he's quite extrovert

This! And I'm allowed to say this as my sister in law is Finnish and also comes from Sammi's home town of Kuusankoski.

Loads of lakes, always seems gloomy and they have a quite high suicide rate. The blokes really like a booze up whilst the rest of the population is obsessed with strong black coffee. And here's the big revelation. The rest of the world continues to pronounce ' Sauna ' wrong. It should be 'sow na ' and not 'saw na '. And they should know as they invented it and most houses have one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They say you've met a Finnish extrovert if he's talking to your shoes rather than his own.

But I must admit that hasn't been my personal experience of the Finns. 15 years or so ago, four au pairs from Oulu moved to Lewes and they were a great bunch. Though if they ever offer you a bit of salmiakki, just say no.

I rarely disagree with you, but I say yes to salmiakki. Especially with four Finnish au pairs.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Tamworth House - 76 Marine Parade.A small hole was the clue which led to the discovery and excavation of a massive tunnel running all the way down to the beach. Once concrete, rubble and general junk were cleared it was clear that something special had been unearthed. The picture speaks for itself really. The lucky owners of the building’s six flats have private access to the tunnel.
Tamworth House is thought to have been built in the 1820s by Charles Barry (later Sir Charles) who went on to build the Houses of Parliament in London and St Peter’s Church in Brighton. The Royal British Legion owned the building from the 1930s until 2004View attachment 125066View attachment 125067View attachment 125068View attachment 125071View attachment 125072

Along similar lines, the Kemp Town Enclosures, which I think are normally only open to residents of Lewes Crescent and Sussex Square. I was on a study weekend in Brighton and Hove with the Georgian Group back in 2012 (I was into Georgian architecture at the time, and had just finished a Masters degree on John Nash). One of the leaders lived in Lewes Crescent and took us into the Enclosures. There is a private tunnel which leads under Marine Parade to a terrace overlooking the sea. The leader told us that Lewis Carroll is thought to have got the inspiration for Alice through the Looking Glass from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here