Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women vs West Ham in Conti Cup - Wednesday 22nd Nov @ 7pm at Crawley

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A good win for Albion Women in front of a crowd of 845. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67500475

Clearly Crawley on a late November midweek evening has its challenges on the attractiveness scale to families considering going.

To those there, chapeau! And in spite of this, it was still a lot more than the 315 at the Lewes v London City Lionesses game.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed the game this evening. We moved the ball a lot quicker and the fringe players did a very good job too. So much that I'd struggle to single out a player of the match. What contrast to the league game v west ham.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
A good win for Albion Women in front of a crowd of 845. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67500475

Clearly Crawley on a late November midweek evening has its challenges on the attractiveness scale to families considering going.

To those there, chapeau! And in spite of this, it was still a lot more than the 315 at the Lewes v London City Lionesses game.

7pm is a rubbish kick off time to be honest, which doesn't help. But I honestly don't think many people care about or are even aware of the competition, particularly in the group stage. At least when it goes to knock outs there's a bit of allure to any knockout game

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
7pm is a rubbish kick off time to be honest, which doesn't help. But I honestly don't think many people care about or are even aware of the competition, particularly in the group stage. At least when it goes to knock outs there's a bit of allure to any knockout game
From the article by Florence Lloyd-Hughes in November 2021:

'The Continental Tyres League Cup – a competition running on fumes'

"The Conti Cup, as the women’s league cup trophy is known, is a strange competition going through a bit of an identity crisis.

Launched in 2011, it succeeded the FA Women’s Premier League Cup as an additional cup competition to the FA Cup for teams in the top tier. Eventually, sides from the division below were added too.

It has been through multiple rebrands and restructures. There were straight knockout rounds, group stages, then knockout rounds again — and then group stages returned and were later regionalised in the 2018-19 season. It also hasn’t always been the most enthralling competition and the group stage, which involves Women’s Super League and Championship clubs, seems to come and go with little fanfare, interest or excitement.

For the biggest WSL clubs, the competition is a chance to win another trophy. For teams in the Championship, it’s another expense to add to the list of costs for the season, with little prospect of meaningful reward. There isn’t even any prize money for progressing through the various rounds of the competition, just a nominal amount split between the two finalists. For clubs such as Durham, Lewes and London City, who don’t have major financial backing from a men’s side, an overnight stay for squad and staff after an evening away game is a big cost."

https://theathletic.com/2934883/202...es-league-cup-a-competition-running-on-fumes/

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

It took me almost an hour and a half to get from Hove to broadfield by public transport, the club need to get out of Crawley ASAP.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
As much as it gives a chance to win a trophy, its such a mess of a tournament its hard to care too hard about it especially at the group stages. I can't even find out where the final is going to be (last year it was Selhurst Park), whereas the FA Cup is at Wembley and they are already selling tickets.

Changing formats, irregular group sizes (some 4, some 5), makeup of groups (i.e. some all championship, some mostly WSL clubs), and matches very spread out (our final group game isn't until the end of January) doesn't help either.

Having said that if the Albion go on to win the tournament I shall be ecstatic! :ROFLMAO:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
As much as it gives a chance to win a trophy, its such a mess of a tournament its hard to care too hard about it especially at the group stages. I can't even find out where the final is going to be (last year it was Selhurst Park), whereas the FA Cup is at Wembley and they are already selling tickets.

Changing formats, irregular group sizes (some 4, some 5), makeup of groups (i.e. some all championship, some mostly WSL clubs), and matches very spread out (our final group game isn't until the end of January) doesn't help either.

Having said that if the Albion go on to win the tournament I shall be ecstatic! :ROFLMAO:

The whole thing is very Papa John's Trophy (or whatever it's now renamed). Just hard to build excitement for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here