Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women vs West Ham in Conti Cup - Wednesday 22nd Nov @ 7pm at Crawley

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
After the disappointing but expected loss to Arsenal this afternoon, next up for the Women is a group game in the Continental Tyres Cup against West Ham. Kick off is 7pm on Wednesday 22nd November at Crawley. West Hams recent record is 4 losses and a draw, though they did win their last Conti Cup group game match against Championship side Charlton. If we play as we have done in the last three games we should have enough to beat them, but you can take nothing for granted in football! Will be interesting to see if Megan Walsh plays against us having left the Albion in the summer.

As its midweek and the conti cup first stage, only part of the ground has been opened and it looks like all seating has now sold out so only standing available from the Albion at £10 for adults, £5 concessions. Season ticket holders can claim their ticket for free.

Free travel is currently still available via Seagulls Travel.

UTA!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Am I the only person who thought that the Continental Cup was a European tournament? And yes, I'm being serious.
First glance I was dissappointed at getting West Ham when I've seen other ladies teams playing in Europe. Chelsea at Real Madrid recently.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Am I the only person who thought that the Continental Cup was a European tournament? And yes, I'm being serious.
First glance I was dissappointed at getting West Ham when I've seen other ladies teams playing in Europe. Chelsea at Real Madrid recently.
They had to call it that, as you have to mention the sponsors!
It's the womens league cup and whilst I don't think we'll win it, we have a good chance of a cup run.
I also think that when a permanent site closer to home is announced for the girls, we'll see an even bigger upturn in our fortunes. Mel Phillips has us playing some good stuff but it could be better

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
For those interested in going but don't want to stand, it looks like they've opened up a couple of extra sections and there are a few individual seats there still.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Couple of former Albion players in the West Ham ranks, including the comically overrated goalkeeper Megan Walsh.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Couple of former Albion players in the West Ham ranks, including the comically overrated goalkeeper Megan Walsh.
Slightly harsh I think based on previous seasons, but last season she was abysmal, a lot of the reason we did so badly.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Slightly harsh I think based on previous seasons, but last season she was abysmal, a lot of the reason we did so badly.
I think she was dreadful her entire career with us and it took a new manager (or two) to come in and immediately look to sign a new goalkeeper. Unfortunately, the standard of goalkeeping in the women's game hasn't kept up with the rest of the positions across the pitch. The quality gap between good and bad players is enormous.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think she was dreadful her entire career with us and it took a new manager (or two) to come in and immediately look to sign a new goalkeeper. Unfortunately, the standard of goalkeeping in the women's game hasn't kept up with the rest of the positions across the pitch. The quality gap between good and bad players is enormous.
I think we've made a clear upgrade this season, its always gonna be a hard position to recruit for in the women's game, but baggeley is a massive improvement.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think we've made a clear upgrade this season, its always gonna be a hard position to recruit for in the women's game, but baggeley is a massive improvement.
It's a shame that Hannah Hampton (allegedly) decided she'd rather be 3rd choice goalie for Chelsea than come here on loan, so we got the other Chelsea goalie instead. Hampton seems like a better standard generally and did well for Villa last season but he's effectively taken a season off and is presumably hoping that Chelsea will have a cull of goalies next summer which will see her promoted to number 1.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It's a shame that Hannah Hampton (allegedly) decided she'd rather be 3rd choice goalie for Chelsea than come here on loan, so we got the other Chelsea goalie instead. Hampton seems like a better standard generally and did well for Villa last season but he's effectively taken a season off and is presumably hoping that Chelsea will have a cull of goalies next summer which will see her promoted to number 1.
Something strange happened with her last season where she got dropped from Villa and England for seemingly attitude reason, all a bit off.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yes, but does Hannah Hampton run a bouncy castle rental business on the side...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here