[Albion] "Brighton will target Ipswich’s Kieran McKenna"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Bit of a click bait thread title isn’t it? You forgot to add the all important ‘IF’.

Plenty more sauce out there - stop speculating - we’ll know when De Zerbi knows
The article itself is very clear that it's a contingency plan tbf. The headline not so much.

Clearly Jacob has got himself a small scoop and is trying to make it look like a bigger scoop than it is. Every club outside the top six are going to be interested in McKenna - some have already tried and failed!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If the only metric for "big" club is silverware won that puts us below Bury, Oxford University and Clapham Rovers too. I dont care for the endless big club willy waving debate myself but you need to add stadium size, twitter followers, celebrity fans, appearances on Saint and Greavsie, catering facilities and shirt sales in Taiwan into your calculations at a bare minimum.
I was being facetious.

I find that facetiousness is probably the best way to navigate the 'we are doomed', 'who will replace Tony Bloom', 'The manager is gone, baby, gone', 'who are we going to appoint next, because I need look up all his flaws so I can get my attack posts ready' threads.

But I take your point about bigness. Sheffield Wednesday, now.....they are MASSIVE.

:wink:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
See, I think it's click bait journalists, spinning comments that were positive into a negative, as you have just done, that is the real problem.
He said that if he is happy here, no other club would be of interest, and that he is happy here. He isn't saying that it depends on what mood he wakes up in, he is saying it depends on his working conditions here, as to whether he is happy to stay here, but so far so good.
Spot on. I am still yet to see any firm evidence that he's a wantaway... He definitely doesn't want to settle for mediocrity though, and hopefully the club can continue to match that ambition.

Roberto is an elite level manager who has a much higher ceiling than any manager we've had in our history. Because of that, there is more media conjecture, mostly nonsense to facilitate clicks from overexcited readers, and more powerful clubs sniffing around him. I think it's almost certain that the Barcelona stuff earlier in the season was completely from their side, and almost entirely to put pressure on the Albion and Roberto to bend over backwards to facilitate a move they couldn't afford. Clearly, neither RDZ or the club were interested in doing so and more than happy to continue as was.

We probably need to get used to that as fans, because we are starting to play amongst the big boys who have way more power and money than us, and I cannot see Bloom and Barber settling for mediocrity after the most incredible seasons on and off the pitch..

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I was being facetious.

I find that facetiousness is probably the best way to navigate the 'we are doomed', 'who will replace Tony Bloom', 'The manager is gone, baby, gone', 'who are we going to appoint next, because I need look up all his flaws so I can get my attack posts ready' threads.

But I take your point about bigness. Sheffield Wednesday, now.....they are MASSIVE.

I suspected you were not in earnest and I was just joining in with the derailment of another BS Internet rumour thread. I too find the noisy doom sayers to be particularly draining these days.

What I can't get over is how careless Bloom and Barber are being in telling every twat with an X account who is on their manager contingency list. Smacks of complete incompetence to me. Bloom and Barber out is what I say.

Also, yes obviously Sheffield Wednesday are the MASSIVIEST club ever. I'm not sure why you bothered to tell us this universally accepted FACT.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are there any championship managers in the PL excelling? Can’t think of one they rarely work out.
Eddie Howe? Marco Silva? Rob Edwards?

I'd suggest all of them would meet SOME people's definitions of 'excelling'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I get that my point being he’s not helping speculation with comments like I’m happy here today although I may wake up tomorrow and think differently tomorrow.
That's a direct quote, is it? :lolol: Speculation with whom, exactly? The media and fans – of all clubs – who read whatever they want to into something he's said? Because I'm pretty sure TB and PB have a better understanding of what RDZ is ACTUALLY thinking and planning – and my guess is that he will stay.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Thomas Frank? (He's AMAZEBALLS, apparently)
David Moyes?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suspected you were not in earnest and I was just joining in with the derailment of another BS Internet rumour thread. I too find the noisy doom sayers to be particularly draining these days.

What I can't get over is how careless Bloom and Barber are being in telling every twat with an X account who is on their manager contingency list. Smacks of complete incompetence to me. Bloom and Barber out is what I say.

Also, yes obviously Sheffield Wednesday are the MASSIVIEST club ever. I'm not sure why you bothered to tell us this universally accepted FACT.
Just remember. There's no smoke without fire. Fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I'd bloody love it if we brought in Eddie Howe.

The sight of people metaphorically leaping off Telscome Cliffs wrapped in a metaphorical duvet soaked in their metaphorical shit and piss would take all the sting out of any disappointment at the appointment.

1714647515182.png

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd bloody love it if we brought in Eddie Howe.

The sight of people metaphorically leaping off Telscome Cliffs wrapped in a metaphorical duvet soaked in their metaphorical shit and piss would take all the sting out of any disappointment at the appointment.

View attachment 181687
instead of inviting the lads round for pasta he'd get them round and make them listen to that shit jake humpreys podcast

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Spot on. I am still yet to see any firm evidence that he's a wantaway... He definitely doesn't want to settle for mediocrity though, and hopefully the club can continue to match that ambition.

Roberto is an elite level manager who has a much higher ceiling than any manager we've had in our history. Because of that, there is more media conjecture, mostly nonsense to facilitate clicks from overexcited readers, and more powerful clubs sniffing around him. I think it's almost certain that the Barcelona stuff earlier in the season was completely from their side, and almost entirely to put pressure on the Albion and Roberto to bend over backwards to facilitate a move they couldn't afford. Clearly, neither RDZ or the club were interested in doing so and more than happy to continue as was.

We probably need to get used to that as fans, because we are starting to play amongst the big boys who have way more power and money than us, and I cannot see Bloom and Barber settling for mediocrity after the most incredible seasons on and off the pitch..
What is your definition of ' elite level '
To me, it suggests the highest level in football. The top clubs vying for the top honours, with elite, multiple trophy winning managers, of whom there are very few.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What is your definition of ' elite level '
To me, it suggests the highest level in football. The top clubs vying for the top honours, with elite, multiple trophy winning managers, of whom there are very few.
I would say when a manager is constantly linked with the top clubs in the world (Bayern, Barca, AC Milan, Liverpool etc. etc.) and the very best managers in the world say things like Roberto De Zerbi is "one of the most influential managers in the last 20 years", they are in the ballpark of elite managers, or at least on a pathway to being up there with the very best. We are not an elite club I'm afraid - do you really think that we'd be vying for top honours?

He is clearly going to achieve some pretty special things in his career, of which we're in the early days of. He's delivered more for this club than any manager in our history, and if he stays another year, his aim is clearly to return the club to Europe and try and win a trophy. He'll win loads in his career.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Why on earth would he come to us ,if they are promoted.?The fact that he would consider it ,IMO,makes him the wrong choice for him wanting to leave a promoted club!!!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The article itself is very clear that it's a contingency plan tbf. The headline not so much.

Clearly Jacob has got himself a small scoop and is trying to make it look like a bigger scoop than it is. Every club outside the top six are going to be interested in McKenna - some have already tried and failed!
There's a first time for everything ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
ipswich are bigger than us
About on the same level, if that, I'd say. In the dim and distant past they won some things but I think the word 'Town' in their name hints at their limits in this day and age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports