Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton wage structure must change - Gus Poyet

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I believe that is ill-advised comment by Gus (not for the first time) combined with BBC spin

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well we just have to accept that clubs in the Premier League, and clubs that have just come down are going to be able to offer our players very lucrative wages, however if we are losing players to clubs that are not in this category, i.e. Murray to Palace then I do think there is an issue.

(Stupid comment from him yet again)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Slow news day. We've just come up from the third division, are people advocating we take the Pompey "spend and be damned" approach to financial success?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Personaly I dont think its either, gus is always being taken out of context, I think as always, rightly or wrongly he has said how it is and I am sure he meant no direct offence to the club,they didnt actualy print what the question was that he was answering either. The man from southampton is with us now to help with the wage structure etc and as Gus pointed out he wont be up and running properly untill close season so a change is on the cards, Usual media getting excited about nothing imo

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Id imagine almost all of our squad bar one or two are on less than £5k a week. we should be giving everyone we want to keep a new contract on fair Championship wages asap.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Slow news day. We've just come up from the third division, are people advocating we take the Pompey "spend and be damned" approach to financial success?

some on here reckon we are already paying 20 grand + pmsl

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well we just have to accept that clubs in the Premier League, and clubs that have just come down are going to be able to offer our players very lucrative wages, however if we are losing players to clubs that are not in this category, i.e. Murray to Palace then I do think there is an issue.

(Stupid comment from him yet again)
poster critical of poyet shock...zzzzzzzzz

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He just seems to be stating an obvious fact.

We don't pay the highest wages in the division.
Those that do will always be able to offer lucrative/attractive packages to our best players.

Simple economics.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gus signed a contract extension last October, if wages are "an issue" (intimating there being a problem) as the BBC headline claims, then I doubt he'd have been looking to tie himself to the club for the forseeable. He'll have sat down with TB last summer and thrashed all this out, he knows what he's working with, nothing has changed since then.

Its a fact of life not unique to the Albion - if a bigger club or a Prem club comes along waving wads at one of our players, then his head is going to be turned. Hardly news is it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

No, but we must be competitive if we are to fulfil our stated ambition...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never quite understand that justification.

Really ?

When one contract with a Premiership club can make you an overnight millionaire, its a fact of life that any player would jump at the chance. Elliott Bennett probably quadrupled his wages and got a big old slab of a signing on fee when he moved, it stands to reason that if a Prem club comes in for you, you've hit the jackpot.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I can understand the frustrations of mr Poyet, he's not a man or a manager who wants to accept midtable mediocrity. These sort of statements would piss me off as a chairman, but I suspect Bloom will just see it for what it actually is.. Gus setting his sights higher than the midtable. It's a positive and a negative, but I suspect Bloom can handle it. Gus is the man to get us into the Premier League, and Bloom is the man to get us running within our means. It's the ideal combination, I don't think we have a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here