Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Oldham

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
You can't argue with an away point at Oldham with 10 men for a long time. We must now make this the platform to go on a decent run.
Any news on Murray?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Cant complain with that, away draw to a high team, ten men, 1-0 down.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
At least with Virgo being sent off it forces a game where he wont be playing. Will be interesting to see how the team performs without him and if we win will it be noticed by anyone? :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ackers, old chap - there are ten league clubs within 20 miles of Boundary Park (which is usually colder), four of them in the Premiership. What do you think the attendances would be like if Brighton had similar competition?

It's hypothetical. But it would likely depend on what league they're in, and how well they're performing.

I just get fed up with the attitude that we have terrible attendance. Our average attendance as of last sunday (when I last saw the table) was 12th in our division. Given the stadium, prices, performances, results, travel arrangements I think that we should celebrate our attendance level.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't decide how I feel about this result.

On the one hand given our poor form, position in the table, and bulk of performances in the early part of our season, a 1-1 draw wit 10 men against a promotion chasing team is a fantastic result.

On the other hand, if Mickey Adams thinks we're chasing promotion, we have to beat teams like Oldham, and although in chase of promotion a draw against teams on your own level is acceptable, it isn't something we should be celebrating as a great result.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Ackers, old chap - there are ten league clubs within 20 miles of Boundary Park (which is usually colder), four of them in the Premiership. What do you think the attendances would be like if Brighton had similar competition?

You could argue that the (historical) concentration of football clubs in and around Lancashire has created an environment where supporting a team and watching football live is more ingrained in the culture. So it is the fact that there are other clubs in the area that sustain a deep rooted interest in the game. Nearby clubs - with many thriving - around Oldham actually cause Oldham's gates to be bigger.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I can't decide how I feel about this result.

On the one hand given our poor form, position in the table, and bulk of performances in the early part of our season, a 1-1 draw wit 10 men against a promotion chasing team is a fantastic result.

On the other hand, if Mickey Adams thinks we're chasing promotion, we have to beat teams like Oldham, and although in chase of promotion a draw against teams on your own level is acceptable, it isn't something we should be celebrating as a great result.
Given our current league position I can't see how anyone can think that we are currently chasing promotion. More like avoiding relegation at present :(.

20 Brighton 19 2 4 3 12 13 2 4 4 10 14 -5 20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 Yeovil 19 2 5 2 10 10 2 2 6 5 15 -10 19
22 Hereford 19 3 2 4 9 8 1 1 8 4 21 -16 15
23 Cheltenham 19 4 2 4 13 15 0 1 8 7 26 -21 15
24 Crewe 19 2 2 5 12 18 0 1 9 9 25 -22 9

You could argue that the (historical) concentration of football clubs in and around Lancashire has created an environment where supporting a team and watching football live is more ingrained in the culture. So it is the fact that there are other clubs in the area that sustain a deep rooted interest in the game. Nearby clubs - with many thriving - around Oldham actually cause Oldham's gates to be bigger.

But that culture also produced rugby league, a serious rival to soccer in towns such as Oldham, Rochdale and Wigan. Where is the rival sport in Sussex? Ex-Albion attendees are not flocking ro rugby union.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But that culture also produced rugby league, a serious rival to soccer in towns such as Oldham, Rochdale and Wigan. Where is the rival sport in Sussex? Ex-Albion attendees are not flocking ro rugby union.

They aren't flocking anywhere. Eastbourne, Lewes and Crawley have all provided an alternative for some fans, as have the increased interest in speed racing, there's the greyhound stadium, and the race course.

But people who abandon Albion don't have to do it for an alternative. It's not like they think "I've got £25 burning a hole in my pocket, where's the nearest alternative to watching the albion?"

They do it because their interest has waned, because they aren't enjoying the football, because the quality on offer - both of our playing standards and the opponents - is not worth the money, because they disagree with the direction of the club, because they don't like the stadium, because they simply can't afford to go.

I'm not denying our attendance could be higher, that there are fans out there that have attended in the past and are not showing up now.

I'm just saying our "low" attendances are actually quite average for our division, and the sooner we accept this, the sooner the club will stop wasting time trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

There are many that believe the attendance levels were a major factor in bringing Micky back and getting rid of Wilkins - I'm not saying this to argue for bringing DW back, he's gone, we need to get over it, but Dean was successful - he got results.

Yet, Knight said he'd've got rid of him even if we got promoted.

If he's going to get rid of a manager who was doing well because he thinks there's a problem with the attendance, how else is he going to wreck things in an attempt to fix a problem that isn't there?

Last edited:

.....he'd've.....

Struggling to find fault with any of that, so I'll pick up on your English instead!
Hmmm, fine phonetically, but I've never seen it spelt like that. Come to think of it, I've never seen it spelt at all; apostrophes in the right places, correct letters omitted......I can't find fault with that either. You really are a frustrating chap, Ackers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here